Exercise Hindering Weight Loss?!?!?!

Options
I was looking back at when I lost 150 lbs after having my son. When I did I noticed my weight loss slowed waaaayyyyy down when I exercised alot, but when I stopped working out so much the weight loss sped up again. I haven't started fully working out this time for that reason. Anyone know why this may happen????

Replies

• PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that when you were exercising alot, you weren't eating enough. That's just my guess though.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that when you were exercising alot, you weren't eating enough. That's just my guess though.

that may be. I was eating 1200 cals daily.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    haha I have the same problem i also SHOCK my system

some days i eat 500 calories, only if I don't feel hungry, i let my body tell me, other days i will go over by 800, when your body gets use to comething it slows down, gotta mix it up
  • jazujazu
    Options
    Probably also you were gaining back some of the fat weight as muscle? A good way to make sure is by measuring your loss in inches rather than pounds.
  • Lynniegurl76
    Lynniegurl76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This was my thought also. Muscle weighs more than fat so as you work out and devolp muscle your weight loss will slow down. So judge your progress on measurements and not the scale.
  • asitshouldbe
    Options
    I wonder about this too. If my "net" for the day is 980 after working out from my 1300 daily, I should eat back to at least 1200 right? I am slowly losing now. Anyone have an answer to my "net" Question?
    FYI. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. It DOES take up less space than fat tho. So if you work out and don't show a weight loss, but your pants are looser, you've put on muscle mass.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    I wonder about this too. If my "net" for the day is 980 after working out from my 1300 daily, I should eat back to at least 1200 right? I am slowly losing now. Anyone have an answer to my "net" Question?
    FYI. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. It DOES take up less space than fat tho. So if you work out and don't show a weight loss, but your pants are looser, you've put on muscle mass.

The muscle weighs more than fat quote which is used alot just refers to the density, as in the same amount (mass) of muscle weighs more than fat does. So yes it takes up less space, all semantics i know ;-)

Peace
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options

The muscle weighs more than fat quote which is used alot just refers to the density, as in the same amount (mass) of muscle weighs more than fat does. So yes it takes up less space, all semantics i know ;-)

Peace

um... correction - as in the same amount of (volume) of muscle weighs more than fat does

(Mass A measure of how much matter is in an object. Mass is commonly measured by how much something weighs. But weight can change depending on where you are (such as on the moon) while the mass stays the same. It is measured in grams, kilograms and, tonnes (Metric) or ounces and pounds (US units) )
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You were definitely eating too little! Use the MFP tool and calculate your BMR. This will give the absolute minimum number of calories you should eat a day. The BMR is basically the amount of calories it takes just for your biological functions to happen such as breathing, heart beating, etc. if you do anything, such as exercise, yo need more calories than that.

Instead of using MFP default calories of 1200/day use your calculated BMR. Make sure if you exercise, you EAT BACK those calories so that your NET caloric consumption is your BMR number. So, if your BMR is 1500, for instance, but you work out and burn 250 calories, MFP will deduct that from your total calories consumed, so it will be like you're eating 1750 calories that day, but because you exercised and burned 250 calories you only netted a caloric consumption of 1500.

Try it for a few weeks... Trust me, it works! The moment I go below my BMR I halt in my weight loss.. As soon as I begin eating more, again, I loose weight... Crazy but awesome! By the way, you may need to periodically recalculate your BMR about every 10 pounds or so. However, I just did this and decided to not lower my calories and I am still loosing weight.

Any questions feel free to hit me up.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My opinion?

You can train and lose while even water fasting for a week or longer, so no... It isn't calories you think you've taken in...

I think you either likely (highly unlikely) gained the same weight in muscle, or more likely you were eating something extra you weren't adding, or like many were eating your calories back which is ok for maintenance, but when trying to lose it isn't exactly the best idea...

Also check that period for your total carbs you ate, it takes 3g of water to store 1g of carb, so it could have also been that.

Seriously there is too many factors involved, however I think it would be due to either eating your calories back or eating more carbs than usual so storing extra water.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You should use the MFP tool and calculate your BMR.... Then read what I wrote to OP.