My first 'food snob moment'

Options
Urg.
I'm having dinner at my mother in law's which I do EVERY tuesday night. It's usually something pretty tasty and ok but sometimes it's something easy and not good for me.
Tonight it's schnitzels on white bread. No salad. Just schnitzels on white bread.
I've got 900 cals remaining today (I prelog and still have my afternoon snacks yet to eat but they are accounted for) and I know I'll come under that but my sugars and carbs will go way over and I don't want to 'waste' my cals on something so bad.

So I've gone up to the cafe near my work and gotten a salad to go with the schnitzel as I know my mother in law never has fresh fruit and veg in the house unless she plans to use it the next night and only ever buys just enough.
She lives off coffee and oats because she has digestive issues and my 16 year old brother in law lives off canned tuna, 2 minute noodles and boxed snacks.

I have training tonight and I know I'll burn it off but I'm eating to perform, this is not performance food.

I'm slightly ashamed that I've done it, I don't want them to think that the food they make for me for free and for my benefit isn't good enough. I'm thinking I'll eat the salad before I go and just say I only want the schnitzel as I'm not too hungry.

I know I could throw it for one night, but these nights are every week and I can't chance this without sending me off the rails so early.
I'm praying she brings back curried chicken and spaghetti some time soon... at least there is veggies in that....

Replies

• jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Filling up on salad before you go sounds like a good plan. Maybe you can offer to make the dinners like a potluck-you can bring a salad or some veggies as a side or fruit for dessert. Just offer it as "oh you don't have to work so hard if we all pitch in" kind of thing. If that makes sense! Don't present it as your MIL is feeding you junk. Present it like you'd love to be helping her out with meal preparation and then you can bring your healthier options.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I also think that this might be something you could say:

"I love your cooking, but I really am struggling to lose weight, so I'm going to have a salad and a bit of your food on the side." Or whatever. Say it better than that, but I think it's OK to be honest. Don't say "i can't waste my calories on junk" of course.

Personally I've found my friends and family (for the most part) totally get it, and because I don't eat most things anyways being primarily vegan, it's just easier for everyone involved.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Thankyou.
    I didn't want to be ungrateful. I'll just say my salad was left over from lunch and I didn't want to waste it. It's a pumpkin and spinach salad and I honestly am stuffed from all the water and cous cous I had for lunch lol.
    Because I am making much better choices my volume of food has singnificantly increased (I've gone from 3 small meals with 2 snacks to 3 large meals and muching all day) and I struggle hardcore to eat that much. I'm on 1880 cals and I haven't gotten to 1600 without stuffing myself, usually hovering around 1300-1500. I have to keep it high with protein too because I train for derby 2-3 times a week and it's really hard on me. Mondays and wednesdays were my binge days as my body was crying out for recovery food.

I go over straight from work so taking much with me isn't always an option. I'll just make sure I check what's for dinner with my boyfriend first and plan during the day. He goes over there in the morning to take her shopping and stuff.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i have totally brought along my own salad and bring enough that if other would like some too. That way i'm "contribution" to their health and keeping to my goals. I don't force it on them but i also won't sabotage myself by just eating what they cook.

don't eat the bread and enjoy a salad.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought you were bringing a salad to share with everyone. You could do that, too. Just say you'd like to contribute with a side dish - then just make sure you always bring a fresh, healthy side. That way everyone benefits!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i see nothing wrong with saying
    'sorry i don't eat crap. i'm not a garbage disposal'
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i see nothing wrong with saying
    'sorry i don't eat crap. i'm not a garbage disposal'

I'm going to throw my vote behind NOT doing this because it's insulting, but I also see nothing wrong with fessing up about trying to lose weight and trying to keep your portions smaller - it may even inspire her to mix in some healthier options. And offering to bring a side to help out is a good suggestion - that way you can make sure there is something healthy that you can load your plate up with.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I wish I could bring enough for everyone. We don't know what's for dinner until after my boyfriend gets here and not until after lunch time so it's hard to plan for everyone.
    Noone here would eat what I brought anyway, it would just be me and the boyfriend.
    Although the cat was very interested in my pumpkin and spinach lol.

I couldn't tell her that her cooking is junk because usually it's pretty good. I can't expect someone who goes out of their way to cater for me anyway to completely change their routine for me. I can make my own choices.
    When it's been things I honestly don't like I'll go to training early and get a salad sambo from the canteen there.
  • jrmc83
    Options
    I wish I could bring enough for everyone. We don't know what's for dinner until after my boyfriend gets here and not until after lunch time so it's hard to plan for everyone.
    Noone here would eat what I brought anyway, it would just be me and the boyfriend.

I couldn't tell her that her cooking is junk because usually it's pretty good. I can't expect someone who goes out of their way to cater for me anyway to completely change their routine for me. I can make my own choices.
    When it's been things I honestly don't like I'll go to training early and get a salad sambo from the canteen there.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. It's just once a week and if you "budget" your calories and she normally makes better stuff, a once-in-a-while thing isn't too bad. It's hard to find that you/family balance!
  • mamabearcushing
    mamabearcushing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dont have any suggestions, except maybe talk to her about your diet and see if its ok if you bring a salad or see if she will cook something extra for you. Its not being too rude.

I do want to say that I was very proud of you while reading that. Planing your diet ahead of time, knowing you need performance foods ..etc. Just wanted to say keep it up!! You sound like you are doing great.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. It's just once a week and if you "budget" your calories and she normally makes better stuff, a once-in-a-while thing isn't too bad. It's hard to find that you/family balance!

I really do love her cooking. If it was 3-4 weeks ago I would have downed it completed with cheese and bbq sauce/mayo with no thoughts. Now I am conscious of what goes into my body so I can get the max out of it... it's hard.
    I also try and leave 700-800 cals for dinner as this is the meal I eat with my partner. I don't want him to suffer because I'm over for the day and say 'Oh it's steamed veg night' or something. I am trying my best to cook healthy meals for us both but he does get bored of it (my cooking isn't the best when I'm on new territory lol) although he has asked for 2 meals again... spicy kangaroo stirfry and crunchy salsa chicken salad. I also really want to enjoy meals together and if we go out for dinner randomly, which we do alot as he used to be a chef..., I don't want to say no because I'm over.

My mother in law laughed it off like every other fad I've done so she wasn't too concerned and just let me go at it. Dinner is very informal, mostly we cook our own or eat at a separate time as I have to leave early and they are late eaters.
    I was a little hurt but I must admit I set myself up for it.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I dont have any suggestions, except maybe talk to her about your diet and see if its ok if you bring a salad or see if she will cook something extra for you. Its not being too rude.

I do want to say that I was very proud of you while reading that. Planing your diet ahead of time, knowing you need performance foods ..etc. Just wanted to say keep it up!! You sound like you are doing great.

aw shucks :blushing: I get pretty stubborn when I'm on an idea. I've been told I'm 'like a dog at a bone' and it was a compliment. In my field of work it is lol. But I LOVE to plan ahead. I love knowing when I've done really well and I can afford to eat a Tim Tam (I had 2 today and they might have been the best ones I've ever eaten!!!!)
    I also know I get naughty when I'm hungry. The vending machine is too close and I always have change as I catch buses everywhere. And I suck at last min preparations so if I'm all packed the night before and plan what I'm going to eat I know I have enough to last me the day and at breakfast I don't waste time and nibble on things in the fridge while deciding....
    Oh and I love the barcode scanner. I could use that thing all day!!!
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I prefer living an open and honest life and not apologizing for it. With that said,

Why not be open and honest and not apologize for it? Meaning...

Call her up and ask what's for dinner. If it's something "unhealthy" that you don't want to put into your body, then don't eat it. She may ask you why you're asking and simply tell the truth... you're eating as healthy as you can. You don't have to give your life story and reasons for being and apologize for choosing what you eat.

You can be cordial and respectful to people while still be respectful to yourself.

Nothing worse than being "nice" and destroying one's self.

Respect yourself and don't go out of your way to please others at your own expense. It can add up to a lot extra pounds.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    She knows so it's ok.
    She saw me eating the salad when she woke up from a nap and then asked why I just had the chicken on my plate like I was weird. I said I'm trying my best to eat better, lower my salt and sugar and get better at derby. Showed her the app.
    She laughed and said she'll give me two weeks like the soup diet.
    But she did say she had some cans of shake powder she didn't want if I wanted them.... not sure if that was backhanded or trying to help. She's not a mean person at all. Sometimes thoughtless but never mean.
    She's got really bad digestive problems and along with porridge she has the protein and meal shakes they have in hospitals. They are GROSSSSSS so I politely declined and said jokingly 'You know how I feel about shakes and fad diets...'
  • jrmc83
    Options
    She knows so it's ok.
    She saw me eating the salad when she woke up from a nap and then asked why I just had the chicken on my plate like I was weird. I said I'm trying my best to eat better, lower my salt and sugar and get better at derby. Showed her the app.
    But she did say she had some cans of shake powder she didn't want if I wanted them.... not sure if that was backhanded or trying to help. She's not a mean person at all. Sometimes thoughtless but never mean.
    She's got really bad digestive problems and along with porridge she has the protein and meal shakes they have in hospitals. They are GROSSSSSS so I politely declined and said jokingly 'You know how I feel about shakes and fad diets...'

That's good! And you'll prove her wrong. I know this will seem like I'm a creepy stalker (but I'm not!) but I saw your post about how you do roller derby and I just wanted to say that's pretty cool :blushing: It takes a lot to do that!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Oh my goodness I need to add you as a friend because this is my life. My boyfriend lives with his parents at the moment and so when I go visit him, I stay with him/them and they do not eat very healthy and it is a huge struggle to try to be polite and also healthy. I usually end up not eating very much and being really hungry. I do not know what to do about it. Luckily, he is very good about trying to make sure there are things I will eat, but there is only so much you can do.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    She knows so it's ok.

That's good! And you'll prove her wrong. I know this will seem like I'm a creepy stalker (but I'm not!) but I saw your post about how you do roller derby and I just wanted to say that's pretty cool :blushing: It takes a lot to do that!

Oh thanks! It's bloody hard (not to brag) and some people pick it up faster than others. I am the others lol. It's a fab work out and a great way to release stress as you are gritting your teeth alot. Even when we aren't directly playing we have alot of fitness work to do on and off skates. Lots of strength and agility. I'm most upset that plyometrics is not an exercise in MFP but working with our league's PT to see what I can do about entering it.
    Oh my goodness I need to add you as a friend because this is my life. My boyfriend lives with his parents at the moment and so when I go visit him, I stay with him/them and they do not eat very healthy and it is a huge struggle to try to be polite and also healthy. I usually end up not eating very much and being really hungry. I do not know what to do about it. Luckily, he is very good about trying to make sure there are things I will eat, but there is only so much you can do.

My boyfriend used to live at his mum's place when we first started dating. I used to make a meal for everyone to try and get through it. It meant that I was less of a burden (I stayed there 3-4 nights a week) as I cooked and paid for the food. It also meant they were opened up to different meals, which my partner's step dad really liked. I cook alot of asian and mexican food.
    If you are hungry and not eating much can you bring your own snacks? Maybe just say you are trying to be helpful and you like to snack? I know I eat at least 500-700 cals a day in just snacking. I'm not a big meal eater. Almonds are my best friends. Stave off hunger, help to keep my salt down and because they are crunchy it helps with my 'chip' craving too.
    People are so funny when it comes to food and meal times, it's hard not to upset people.
    Just don't ever be like my Nan. She doesn't ever tell people and will wait until the meal is ready before saying 'Oh I can't eat that' which makes you feel like an idiot because really, you should know she's on another fad and should have asked.

My mum was worried she would have to cater for me differently while I'm staying there. I just laughed and said no way. I'll eat what I can of what she makes, make it up with something else and put those hills to good use. I used to live in that area and grew up there so it's not like I'm going to get lost lol. And there is NO WAY I'm missing out on some of the dishes she makes special for me when I'm there. HELL NO! I'll just walk the hills all day ahahah.