surely this cant be right?!help

Options
so I have had a bad weekend i.e boozy one, and now yeterday and today I weigh 5lb more than my usual weight?!surely i couldnt have put it on in that time?!I still exercised this weekend so wouldnt of gone over my calls that much :( but now I have been well down for two days due to the number on the scales.it is my time of the months too so dunno if that cud of had an impact grrr :( anyone can think of a reason?x

Replies

• Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake high maybe? It could easily be water weight, You can also gain anywhere between 1 and 10 pounds on your TOM.
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of water weight. You should see this come off in the next couple of days. Eat clean and drink lots of water to help flush it all out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of water weight. You should see this come off in the next couple of days. Eat clean and drink lots of water to help flush it all out.

Agreed.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's right - as in, that's what the scale says.

The trick is to remember that what the scales says doesn't always reflect what is actually happening in your body. The number on the scale is always going to fluctuate (hormones, sodium, monthly cycle, whether you've just been to the bathroom or not..... so many reasons).

Don't worry about things that you can't change - put your energies into planning a week of healthy eating and exercising. That should see a number you are happier with next week.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Work with averages so that a single weight is less significant, this could well be water and will go over the next few days.
  • londaknight
    Options
    Sodium intake and TMO have a big impact on weight loss and gain. I usually gain about 3-5 pounds during that week, so I avoid the scale entirely. Don't be down about the temporary weight gain, just up your water intake to get rid of the retained water and come back to the scale after your time of the month and you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A 5 lb swing over a weekend is not uncommon at all. Even overnight it's possible, it's most likely water weight and/or sodium holding fluid. You can't physically gain 5 lbs of fat overnight. Or even over a few days. If it's your TOM also, that can do it all by itself. Just keep at your program and don't sweat it. You should normalize over several days.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Yes TOM (time of the month) definitely has an impact on most women's weight due to water retention. I am always up around 3-5 lbs during that time.

Also, consider this. In order to actually gain a pound of fat, you would have to consume 3500 calories OVER your maintenance calories. I seriously doubt that you did this. Its got to be water weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    so I have had a bad weekend i.e boozy one, and now yeterday and today I weigh 5lb more than my usual weight?!surely i couldnt have put it on in that time?!I still exercised this weekend so wouldnt of gone over my calls that much :( but now I have been well down for two days due to the number on the scales.it is my time of the months too so dunno if that cud of had an impact grrr :( anyone can think of a reason?x

Your normal eating level doesn't allow your glucose stores to be replenished day by day.
    You weighed last time with low stores, booze topped them off with whatever other carbs you ate, and now full normal weight. 2 lbs for this easy.

Excess sodium with water retention too.

Good water intake next few days will take care of sodium reason.

For the other, that is just false weight loss/gain, but does indicate bad situation putting your body in for limited glucose stores. So really the thing to look at if the above suggestion is true.

How often do you workout, what is the avg calorie burn each time, what is the intensity (real hard, easy, ect)?
    If easy workouts, 60% of those calories are carbs burned.
    If hard workouts, 80% of those calories are carbs.
    If all out until legs burn, 95% carbs.

So now you know how many of those calories burned was carbs (very roughly).

Do you eat that many carbs in a day? Carb calories divided by 4 is carb grams for diary use.
    Of course you are burning about 40% carbs all day long, 30% while sleeping, so more than just workouts.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    i am just so tired of my mood depending so muh on the morning weighing.past two days I have just felt completely worthless and rubbish about myself.and its seriously getting me down.I work out everyday currently doing 6 pack in 6 weeks by jillian michaels and that seems to get me working quite hard and then I add either bike or zumba or a run some days.but working long hours means I am constantly knackered as well :( sorry to whinge guys just need to vent this b4 my head explodes
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    A 5 lb swing over a weekend is not uncommon at all. Even overnight it's possible, it's most likely water weight and/or sodium holding fluid. You can't physically gain 5 lbs of fat overnight. Or even over a few days. If it's your TOM also, that can do it all by itself. Just keep at your program and don't sweat it. You should normalize over several days.

this
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    i am just so tired of my mood depending so muh on the morning weighing.past two days I have just felt completely worthless and rubbish about myself.and its seriously getting me down

Then stop weighing in the mornings. A number on a machine should not determine your self worth. If it is, then yoh need to stop weighing daily.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    i am just so tired of my mood depending so muh on the morning weighing.past two days I have just felt completely worthless and rubbish about myself.and its seriously getting me down

Then stop weighing in the mornings. A number on a machine should not determine your self worth. If it is, then yoh need to stop weighing daily.

its hard to explain in my head i know i shudnt weigh myself but its like an addiction now...perhaps shud ask my partner to hide tje scales for a week or so ...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    its hard to explain in my head i know i shudnt weigh myself but its like an addiction now...perhaps shud ask my partner to hide tje scales for a week or so ...

I would recommend this. I don't even own scales (and my boyfriend has the old ****ty ones so don't bother) and its liberating.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day can be useful to show you how the scale fluctuates as things change in your life and your diet and your body... but as a measure of success or failure it really sucks!

Hiding the scale sounds like a much better idea.