fruit dilema?!

Options
I love fruit and as its summer a lot of berries and fruits are right in season and are so yummy...i try and snack only on fruit and most days get my 5 a day.but i keep hearing ppl say it can prevent weight loss,I have few last pounds I would like to lose but they are not budging so was thinking is it because of my fruit eating?I exercise everyday and usually eat under my calls goal as I am not hungry...any ideas?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed so we can't see the balance of what you eat.

If you are at a calorie deficit you should lose weight - you wouldn't fail to on 800 calories a day of fruit for example - but higher protein diets usually give better results than high carbohydrate diets.

So "it depends"
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fruit never made anybody fat. Like anything else it needs to be eaten as part of a balanced diet but the benefits outweigh the negatives. It's delicious, full of vitamins, low calorie, what's not to love?!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit never made anybody fat.
    Not on its own, but plenty of fatties chomp on fruit and get calories they don't need from that source.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Fruit never made anybody fat. Like anything else it needs to be eaten as part of a balanced diet but the benefits outweigh the negatives. It's delicious, full of vitamins, low calorie, what's not to love?!

I eat a lot of fruit, but I also eat a lot of protein. My nutritionist has just asked me to start increasing my breakfast protein a couple of days a week so that I can maintain my weight loss.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    "5 a day" was a marketing strategy with the sole aim of selling more fruit and vegetables, not promoting good health.

It also reinforces the "Fruit and Vegetable" phrase (just trips off the tongue doesn't it?), two completely different things that should be treated as such.

In short, I treat fruit like dessert and opt for berries over everything else. Berries and heavy cream ... Lovely.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
  • Chumlie
    Chumlie Posts: 1
    Options
    Providing you actually count (and more importantly weigh) everything you eat it shouldn't be a problem. My hubby can't pass the fruit bowl without pinching grapes, we worked out he had eaten nearly a pound of them over three days! Over 300 calories unaccounted for!

I love fruit and really struggle to restrict it but I'm forcing myself to weigh and count it.