Exercise-Induced Asthma

Options
Is this a challenge any of you are also trying to overcome?

I've been trying to get into the habit of running - in fact want to run a marathon eventually - and for me it's been especially challenging a goal. I've been told by my doctor I have exercise-induced asthma, which is a pretty silly sounding diagnosis, because sure, isn't it harder for everyone to breathe when they run? But unfortunately, I pant so painfully after a 1/2 mile run I need to stop - not for my legs in the least, but for my burning lungs! It's a little embarrassing trying to run a track while you're gasping like a fish out-of-water.

I'm a rock-climbing instructor, and fairly active - and have no issues breathing when up a wall or instructing - it's the worst running! Seeing as a marathon is my goal, how can I overcome this? Do any of you experience the same things? How do you cope and what are your ways of getting around it? I used to find the breathing techniques when running very helpful, is that a good option?

Let me know your stories! It really would be nice to talk to others working around the same challenge, or with the same goal!

Replies

• kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same. I really love running but I just can't breathe. I feel I am sucking air thru a straw. I don't know what to do about it. I have slowed my pace and shortened my distance, nothing works. The doctor gave me a puffer but it really didn't do much. I would love to hear any suggestions that would help me
  • tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma as well. Didn't really bother me in the past, simply because I didn't really exercise! Once I got serious though, my asthma definitely flared up.

I have an inhaler that I keep in my gym bag and my doctor recommended that I take a puff of the inhaler BEFORE I even start running. Something about giving it time to work before my breathing gets bad or something...I forgot the exact reasoning but it made sense to me :). Then, if I still have a hard time breathing while I'm working out, I can take another puff mid-workout. So far it's been working pretty well. Some days are better than others but I am definitely not using the inhaler as much as I was a couple of months ago. I am also up to being able to run for 2 miles straight without feeling like my lungs are going to collapse. Asthma is an obstacle but hopefully one you can overcome and run your marathon one day!!
  • crankedtoeleven
    Options
    It has been suggested to me that I may have exercise induced asthma... need to get in to see my doctor... for those of you that have gotten the diagnosis, what were your symptoms? And what did your doctor suggest to help it?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I also have it, and was given an inhaler to take 15 minutes prior to any exercise and every 4 to 6 as needed. I have noticed that if I don't take it before, my runs turn into a breathing obstacle. Sadly, mine is genetic (COPD runs in my family both sides) and my weight is a contributing factor. The best advice I can give that has worked for me as been if my chest is feeling too much i literally walk until my breathing settles down and then go back to running. It kicks up a lot during the hot weather, so i tend to wait until evening or morning to run. I can run sometimes 3.2 miles or even up to 4 without it kicking in, but sometimes i can't.

Any other advice would help :)
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My sister has exercise induced asthma and was told by her doctor to use an albuterol rescue inhaler prior to exercising. I have had asthma since childhood and find that using my inhaler before my workout can really help me not to get winded. Luckily with my weight loss my asthma has improved a lot and I no longer need daily maintenance inhalers and only limited use of my rescue inhaler, usually just for exercising.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about a rescue inhaler and in the mean time maybe make sure you do a brisk warmup walk before running? I know if I don't ease into my routine I'm more likely to get an asthma attack.

ETA: Albuterol is bronchodilator and will open up your airways. When you have an asthma attack your bronchioles become inflamed and swell up making it harder for you to breathe. By using the inhaler before you get an asthma attack you can prevent the inflammatory response. (I saw someone mention they didn't recall why an inhaler helps...)
  • medangel06
    Options
    I had a severe sinus infection in January, that's when the doctor diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. I take advair and depending on my dose I can talk to my doctor to either up it or lower it. I take that twice a day, every day. I have an inhaler in my gym bag and carry one in my purse. I started the Couch to 5K and had trouble getting past week 3. My doctor explained to keep doing as much as I can and to work my way up. It has been working.
  • Lynniegurl76
    Lynniegurl76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My sister and son have exertion induced asthma and both have found that using their albuterol inhaler BEFORE they work out helps them get through it with out having trouble. I get ocassional bronchitis and have had to use my inhaler prior to work outs as well and it really helps me. Talk to your doctor and see if he/she recommends using your rescue inhaler prior to your workouts.
    I see others have posted they do the same thing so it seems to be a good solution for many of us. Good luck on your workout and don't give up, ease into it and your body will get used to it, it just may take a bit longer than you would like it to.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with adult onset and exercise induced asthma when I was in my early 20's. I'm in my 40's now. I've struggled with it all that time, but I've run 3 marathons and thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. You have to work to identify what triggers your asthma, and figure out what works best as far as using the inhaler. I find that running for a few minutes and then walking and completely catching my breath before starting to run again helps to lessen flare-ups. As others have suggested, use the inhaler about 15 minutes before exercise. I know asthma has hurt my performance. I have to run really slow and I've been through some pretty trying days, wheezing, chest pain, etc. I just never wanted it to stop me so I've learned to deal with. At the same time, you need to know your limits. Asthma can be fatal and you have to take it seriously. I never run without my inhaler, I never leave my house without my inhaler for that matter. There were times where I couldn't get an attack under control even with using the inhaler multiple times, so I stopped exercising immediately. And try different inhalers. I've had better luck with some over others.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem while running, and here's something that works for me- I keep a close watch on my heart rate, and dont let my heart rate stay over 180 for more than 3 minutes. ie if it goes over, i would slow down for a couple of minutes till it has fallen back to 150's, and pick up pace again
  • Old thread but wanted to chime in. I was diagnosed with Exercise induced bronchiospasms (which is only slightly different?). Now, when I use the inhaler, I feel like I can breathe but the rest of me seems to get tired faster. Any suggestions?

I was so angry when I really finally realized that I wasn't just fat and out of shape, that something was wrong. I was half way through a cardio kickboxing class and loving it when a bad attack hit and I had to stop. The instructor suggested I stop and catch my breath then come back, but I have found if I have a full on attack, my chest is just too painful. Then I get coughing fits for the next two days as well as just sore lungs.
  • Slamdunk3
    Options
    Sorry but I have a question to anyone. I was recently diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I take two puffs of my proair inhaler 5 minutes before practice and 20 minutes later when it's time to run I get super tired why? I love playing basketball and don't want to stop playing so if anyone knows what's going ok please let me know. Not only that bit of I have to changed medicine is there any other inhaler that counts how much medicine you have like proair.