Carbs vs. Calories

lazygirllosesweight
lazygirllosesweight Posts: 190
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Today is my first day tracking food and I am more than 300 calories UNDER my daily calorie goal.
BUT, I'm 35 OVER my carb goal.

If I'm under my calorie goal, does it matter?

I think I ate pretty healthy. High fiber cereal & a clementine orange for breakfast, a "healthy choice" meal for lunch, whole grain pasta & marinara with a very light dusting of cheese and steamed veggies for dinner with a SMALL piece of sourdough toast (half a typical bread serving).

Replies

• Also, I totally just lied. I'm only 11 over my carb limit. I don't know WHERE 35 came from. haha.
  • I find that the higher my carbs are, the harder it is for me to lose weight. I've spent some time researching and that carbs can make your blood sugar spike and that puts your body in fat storage mode, but protein and fats don't effect the blood sugar. If you keep your blood sugar even then your body with stay in fat burning mode.
    That would be the the short answer. Healthy fats like nuts and olive oil can help keep the blood sugar level, so can eating the protein and fat before the carbs.
    I hope that helps...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    In general you want to eat a fairly balanced diet - this means eating a good mix of carbs, protein and healthy fats. If you're under calories and over on carbs, then too many of the calories you ate today were carbs. This likely won't make any real difference if you do it occasionally, but as the previous poster mentioned, many people have trouble losing weight if they eat too many (or poor quality) carbs on a regular basis.
  • I find that the higher my carbs are, the harder it is for me to lose weight. I've spent some time researching and that carbs can make your blood sugar spike and that puts your body in fat storage mode, but protein and fats don't effect the blood sugar. If you keep your blood sugar even then your body with stay in fat burning mode.
    That would be the the short answer. Healthy fats like nuts and olive oil can help keep the blood sugar level, so can eating the protein and fat before the carbs.
    I hope that helps...

I'm the same way.. I just recently lowered my carb intake and upped my fat and protein intake. I feel amazing. I have so much more energy too. I also am not having tummy issues that I normally do by eating higher carb/lower fat/protein.
  • hi

you'd be doing yourself a huge favour if u research the GL diet, which is based on the Glycemic Load of a carb food on your blood sugar and insulin levels . a low GL food keeps ur blood sugar and insulin release slow and even, thus keeping hunger at bay and increasing energy levels.

A high GL food spikes both insulin and sugar in ur blood causing you to store the carbs u digest as fa,t rather than use it as energy. so you eat and eat away at high GL carbs and u never feel satisfied u still 'crave' more.

Though u may be under ur calorie count because ur intake may have been high GL u wont lose weight successfully in the long term..the low GL food fills u up too, thus keeping cravings away. an example of high GL carb is mashed potatoe of potatoe chips and a low GL carb would be oats or quinoa. I have glucose intolerance so my diet is low GL based and is quite high in lean protein and good fats, yet i lose weight! When i eat a high GL diet i end up skipping meals and i eat less calories but still put on weight or stay the same.

the GL way of eating is great, because im always so full i find it hard to always use up my calorie and carb allowance. i look at my tracker each day and i have to ask myself "how can i use up the rest of my allowances and im not even hungry!!

i hope that helps..good luck!
This discussion has been closed.