reps/weights

Options
Ok so I am not up on the exercise stuff. I have to look up exercised on youtube to find some that I can do. My question is when it comes to weights & reps is it better to do a smaller weight for more reps or more weight less reps? I am really enjoying doing new exercises & loosing weight. I am over 350 pounds. I have lost 33 pounds since May of this year. If you have any exercises that I may can do please let me know or an answer to the rep/weight question.
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    IMO heavy less reps

I do 5-8 reps once I can easily do 8 I up my weight
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights with less reps for strength, lighter weights with more reps for endurance.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights. I was taught to do as heavy as I could manage to do for 6-8 reps. 3 sets. Just be careful if you are just starting out
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Good reference materials with good programs

New rules of lifting - its a series of books by lou schuler they have a good support web site

Starting strength by mark riptoe he has a lot of vids on youtube

Check out the strong lifts 5 x 5 website

Heavy weights fewer reps is what I'm doing and it works for me!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    You already have some great recommendations. Let me add some more.

I would say both. IMO, they are both good for you and, personally, I have light-weight days and heavy-weight days. Here are some good links about a recent study that showed lighter weights are as good for building muscle as heavy weights.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20120427/high-reps-with-low-weights-builds-muscle-too

http://www.cbass.com/LightWeights.htm

IMO, the most important part of lifting any weight—light, medium or heavy—is good form. Always maintain form, and if you can no longer maintain form, either stop, or drop to a lighter weight. Once you have developed a good understanding of form and get to know your body's limits, you'll be able to challenge yourself more, lifting heavier, without risking injury. I have seen way too many beginners start out like gangbusters only to injure themselves and become discouraged. Start light. Get the form down. Then move up.

Another important thing to remember is that "light," "medium," and "heavy" are subjective terms. What is heavy for me is light for someone else. And that's okay. As long as you are giving it your all, focusing on form and the muscle(s) you are working, you will succeed and get stronger, one day at a time.

Congratulations on the weight loss. You're off to a great start. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How do others feel about the above article on lighter weights and heavier reps?

I began lifting and enjoyed it, a lot. I reached 20 lbs per dumbbell but found that I stopped enjoying it at that weight. It hurt my hand bones and I just stopped enjoying the challenge of lifting heavier. If I were to go back to lifting 5-10 lb weights but with higher reps, would I be benefiting my muscles?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals:
    1-5 reps - Strength/Power
    5-8 reps Strength & some Hypertrophy
    8-13 reps - Hypertrophy
    13+ reps- Endurance

I'm not in to hypertrophy, so I stick to a 5x5 program. When I can get to 6+reps, I add weight.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight, low reps. I aim for 8 reps on almost all my exercises.

Definitely recommend checking out the Stronglifts program, and as someone else said Mark Rippetoe's videos for form checks.

Compound exercises are best; deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press etc.
  • Haylz_ish
    Options
    Bump for later
  • BNance509
    BNance509 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your information. I am a female not sure that it matters but I am just looking to lose flab & tone up. I would like some muscles but I don't to be big & bulky.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your information. I am a female not sure that it matters but I am just looking to lose flab & tone up. I would like some muscles but I don't to be big & bulky.

As a female, I wouldn't worry too much about becoming bulky. You don't have enough testosterone for that to happen. BUT -- By lifting heavy, you will increase your muscle strength and therefore increase your metabolism. I started lifting about 7 weeks ago --- I love it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

As a female, I wouldn't worry too much about becoming bulky. You don't have enough testosterone for that to happen. BUT -- By lifting heavy, you will increase your muscle strength and therefore increase your metabolism. I started lifting about 7 weeks ago --- I love it.
    ^Agree. If you are in a calorie deficit, its next to impossible to become "bulky". Bulkiness in women is the result of overeating and weight lifting- where the muscles under the fat get bigger, and the fat becomes more pronounced on top. If you stay within a deficit, there's no excess calories to make your muscles grow, and you'll be whittling away the fat simultaneously.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, really interesting.