Indie workout songs

Options
I'm needing some new workout songs...it helps me a ton. Please none of the pop crap that's on the radio :)

Replies

• monkey_la_femme
    monkey_la_femme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big pop fan, so my gym playlst is drawn from a lt of different artists. I like a bit of skip-hop (that's Aussie hip-hop for you foreign folks) to warm up, 90s ska like Reel Big Fish or Save Ferris to kick it up a notch and then metal or rock with a good driving bass line to run. My workout go-tos are Emily Autumn, Peaches (high level course language but GREAT beats), Goldfrappe, White Stripes (Elephant is a particularly good album for steady beats), Portisehead (for stretches and cool-downs), Gossip, My Ruin, Kittie and Jack Off Jill. Boyfriend-type swears by Audioslave for weights.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Have you ventured over to iTunes? I love how you can listen to samples before purchasing....

I love Indie music!!!!
  • meouch
    meouch Posts: 18
    Options
    Yeah, I do a lot of peaches, gossip, lcd soundsystem, the rapture. Thanks, there's a few you named I forgot about!
  • meouch
    Options
    Have you ventured over to iTunes? I love how you can listen to samples before purchasing....

I love Indie music!!!!

I do pandora and spotify a lot to find new things but it seems to get repetitive after awhile.
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big pop fan, so my gym playlst is drawn from a lt of different artists. I like a bit of skip-hop (that's Aussie hip-hop for you foreign folks) to warm up, 90s ska like Reel Big Fish or Save Ferris to kick it up a notch and then metal or rock with a good driving bass line to run. My workout go-tos are Emily Autumn, Peaches (high level course language but GREAT beats), Goldfrappe, White Stripes (Elephant is a particularly good album for steady beats), Portisehead (for stretches and cool-downs), Gossip, My Ruin, Kittie and Jack Off Jill. Boyfriend-type swears by Audioslave for weights.

That is a fantastic mix of tunes i like :-) its been a long time since ive heard someone mention Kittie , but really audioslave with mello chris cornell pap naaaaaa tell your BF to get some RATM on :-)

Also Less than Jake are good for a run and for weights i hit the prodigy.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of Nirvana, Muse, and Placebo gets me going. Not sure if you'd call that "indie", but it sounds good and motivates me :P
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Not sure what counts as Indie these days - here's a bit of old school rock with a nice beat to it.

Ace of Spades by Motorhead
    Hate To Say I Told You So by the Hives
    Love in an Elevator and Walk this Way by Aerosmith
    Now That We've Found Love by Heavy D and the Boyz
    Push It by Salt n Peppa
    Rasberry Beret by Prince
    The Reflex & Wild Boys by Duran Duran
    Shine by Aswad
    Town Called Malice by Paul Weller
  • monkey_la_femme
    monkey_la_femme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about Muse and Placebo! Black Market Music used to be on constant workout rotation until I discovered Peaches.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have been really into 'Human beatbox' ... that has been really hitting the spot for me.... upbeat tempos and its got such a great motivating rhythm as well!
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    Yeah, I do a lot of peaches, gossip, lcd soundsystem, the rapture. Thanks, there's a few you named I forgot about!
    You should check out Le Tigre! They have three albums, which are all awesome and great motivation for work-outs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyBR-M2YvU
  • meouch
    Options
    Some of my favorites:
    css-alala
    little dragon-ritual union
    gravy train-sippin 40z
    animal collective-my girls
    bloc party-banquet
    the rapture-out of the races and onto the tracks
    yacht-summer song
    the blow-pile of gold

and then of course i always listen to some leatherface, jawbreaker, danzig, converge....just for good measure :)
  • meouch
    Options
    You should check out Le Tigre! They have three albums, which are all awesome and great motivation for work-outs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyBR-M2YvU
    [/quote]

deceptacon is one of my everyday ones!
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    Ooooh, I love listening to "Out of the races and onto the tracks" when I'm running. Perfect song to push you just that little bit further. And yeah, Deceptacon is just amazing, isn't it?

Depending on how aggressive you like your music, you could also check out Future of the Left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROi39FvtEc
  • meouch
    Options
    Ooooh, I love listening to "Out of the races and onto the tracks" when I'm running. Perfect song to push you just that little bit further. And yeah, Deceptacon is just amazing, isn't it?

Depending on how aggressive you like your music, you could also check out Future of the Left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROi39FvtEc

Nice! I just downloaded it.
  • ViennaMontez
    Options
    Here are some indie/rock bands you might like:
    Neon Indian
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    The Flaming Lips
    Two Door Cinema Club

These bands are amazing and their songs are great for working out to! (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club have some great upbeat work out songs like Berlin).

- Vi
  • floydypants
    floydypants Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find Kasabian good to exercise to.
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    Nice! I just downloaded it.

Glad you like it! Going through my own work-out playlist, here are some more songs you might like:

Of Montreal - She's a rejector
    Au Pairs - You
    Screaming Females - Boyfriend
    Archie Bronson Outfit - Kink
    Forward, Russia - Twelve
    Ghinzu - Cockpit Inferno
    Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
    Wipers - Window Shop for Love
    Victor Fix the Sun - Heartbeats Like Lightspeed
    Mclusky - Dethink to Survive
  • xiaopi
    xiaopi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OOoooh! I like this topic! (I'm late, sorry!)

Training while discovering new music or simply revisit some in a training context makes going to the gym sounds more fun already!

I'll prepare a playlist and will share it soon. Instead of writing down a list, I propose that we create a playlist on Grooveshark (or other online music player of your choice) and share that here, so we don't have to search for each song we share.

In the meantime, so you can see the type of music I listen to, I'm currently building my top 20-25 songs of 2012, it will keep changing until the end of December but it's already close to complete:
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/KD2012/78288430

These aren't intented to be gym songs, though.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Besides stuff already mentioned.... The Faint, Kavinsky, College, Daft Punk... Esp the Tron stuff, M83, Passion Pit, Crystal Wave....
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Foster the People - Pumped up Kicks; Fun - Some Nights; Florence + the Machine - Dog Days are Over; Guided by Voices - Glad Girls; Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of; anything by the Gorillaz, Skrillex and old Sublime. Oh, and Dirty Heads - Lay Me Down and Dance All Night.