Cereals

Options
Hey all :)

I'm a cereal freak, honestly I could munch on it all day :) I need to know a good crunchy (granola type, bran etc just something crunchy) that is low in cals, carbs, sugar, fat but high in fiber :) oh and iron :)

please help this cereal addict :)

jackie x

Replies

• slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i mix all bran with special k..........lts yummy,crunchy and low fat, plus the fibre helps flush everything out xx
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Check out your local grocery. There should be a large selection. My person favorite is a bad one....Special K with berries. The second ingredient listed is sugar.:noway:

Do you use milk with your cereal? I have found almond milk and I love it. I will not drink dairy milk again.
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Weetabix minis are amazing! they come in chocolate, berry and honey and nut! A 40g serving with 100ml of semi skimmed milk keeps me full until lunch without any trouble!

Weetabix Minis Chocolate Chip (Weetabix)
    Serving Size: 40 g, Calories: 148, Fat: 2.1g, Carbs: 28.4g, Protein: 3.8g

Minis Honey (Weetabix)
    Serving Size: 40 g, Calories: 150, Fat: 0.8g, Carbs: 30g, Protein: 3.8g

Crispy Minis Strawberry (Weetabix)
    Serving Size: 40 g, Calories: 150, Fat: 0.9g, Carbs: 29.6g, Protein: 3.8g

Mini Fruit and Nut Bites (Weetabix)
    Serving Size: 40 grams, Calories: 149, Fat: 1.6g, Carbs: 28g, Protein: 3.8

(all info from this site :D)

Hope this helps :D

1397731.png
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    FIBER ONE HONEY SQUARES are SOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plain or with milk or in yogurt. only 80 cals! YUM!!!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think to keep low on sugar you need to stick to weetabix or porridge (oats so simple original is good). i must admit to an occasional bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes though!
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What do you like now?
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own? You can easily make a great granola, where you know exactly what is in it. Just mix some oats, rye flakes, chopped almonds etc. with some honey and bake it in the oven. It keeps pretty well in an air tight container. After baking it you can mix in a bit of dried fruit for extra sweetness (but watch the sugar) or some all bran flakes. I usually have some granola on top of my plain oatmeal to add some crunchyness :)
  • JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anything by Kashi !! 30cal Almond milk is my fav too

Autumn wheat and Heart to Heart !
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do too mix my special k with bran flakes but tend to go overbord i think :P my favourite special k is the one with red berries...damn the sugar!

I was thinking about making my own granola with almonds and walnuts :) Going to mix it with some light porridge made with water. I normally drink skimmed milk but recently it's been semi skimmed and the change is making me worry I think, I've tried hazelnut milk and it was scrummy yummy. Yet to find Almond milk....I can never come across it lol I love those new all bran crunchy clusters but they taste too good to be true :p
    Past few days I've had weetabix and today I have special flakes from lidil....not quite special k but yummy anyways :p
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh I also do this.....With all bran I get 30g.....sometimes 45g because I'm greedy :P and I add boiling water instead of milk. mix it together until it becomes like a thick porridge then add a dash of hazelnut milk or skimmed milk to give it a little more taste or creaminess for less cals :) feel free to add nuts or fruit :) ooooooh or instead of milk mush up banana and mix it in! IT IS HEAVEN!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    LOVE cereal - i often mix 2 types together and have anything between 30-60g

my favourites:

cheerios
    golden grahams
    cornflakes
    branflakes
    puffed rice/wheat
    special K
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    check out foodfacts.com

you can check on a particular cereal, or just type "cereal" in the search and then display results highest to lowest
  • rpolly30
    Options
    Don't forget protein. Most cereals are very low in protein. Kashi Go Lean is the way to go because it contains 13g of protein! I usually mix it with Total Plus Omega 3 because I do not eat seafood.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Cheerios is my favorite....

i lost 50 lbs including cereal into my diet.... Banana nut crunch is another as well as Special K protein.

cereal is good for you as long as you are doing the serving size
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not to sure about all the nutritional facts but I used to love Just Right Just grains but I can't find that any where.
    Now I eat Kellogg's - Just Right Clusters & 5 Grains, 45 g - 169 calories, 35 carbs, 1 fat, 4 protein. It's yummy and crunchy.
    I also like Special K advantage.
  • keddins1
    Options
    Once upon a time I was the world's biggest cereal addict. Then my roommate gave me her recipe for granola, and I haven't bought cereal at a grocery store for over a year now. :) Here's my recipe, it's super easy-
    5 c. oats
    2 c. nuts (I use almonds)
    1/4 c. flaxseed
    1/4 c. chia seeds
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1/3 c. agave syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener
    3/4 c. applesauce
    2 tbsp. oil (I use olive oil)

Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately; mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Spread a thin layer onto two pans, bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes. Halfway through, stir the granola around so part of it. After it's out of the oven, sprinkle some dried fruit, like craisins, on top if you'd like. Store in an airtight container. I personally eat it for breakfast with rice milk and a sliced banana or strawberries on top.

Watch out, you'll get more addicted to this than you are to cereal!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat Fiber One original. 1/2 cup has 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber.
  • sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a cereal freak too! I try not to buy it because if I do it's all I'll eat. I think the Kashi Go Lean High Protein cereal is the tops in terms of balancing fiber, protein, sugar, and cals. It's REALLY crunchy too which I like because I'm a speed eater and the crunchiness slows me down.