What clean natural sweetener is best (UK)?

Options
Daisy80
Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
Hello

I really don't want to use artificial sweetener anymore and have recently started to eat clean. I am struggling a bit to find a real all natural sweetener that is clean. What would people recommend. Ideal something not too expensive that can also be used for cooking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not too sure on 'the best', but I did do a bit of research before settling on Agave Nectar - you can get it in Sainsbury's in the sugar aisle. I use it instead of sugar in my porridge - my hubby says it tastes different (he used to have it in his coffee before cutting it out completely) but I've never noticed :o)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I use honey, but I don't know if that counts.
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you for your replies!

The thing is that I don't really like honey or agave nectar in coffee. Also I have recently read something about agave nectar that I didn't like but really can't remember what it was :ohwell:

I find it really difficult to find something!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't use sugar or sweetners so not too sure but isn't stevia natural?
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I think it is difficult to get 100% stevia. The stuff you buy in the supermarket is all processed and most of the times has added ingredients.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Turbinado sugar, the brown kind. The brand in the U.S. is Sugar in the Raw.
  • ozznando
    ozznando Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Truvia is good.
  • Kalola11
    Kalola11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can get bona fide Stevia extract at Whole Foods. No additives except rice maltodextrin (1 gram) as a stabilizing base.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sugar is natural. It's grown in sugar cane or sugar beet, soaked out with water and washed up clean.
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I don't really want to eat normal sugar. It is not part of the clean eating principles..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to eat normal sugar. It is not part of the clean eating principles..
    I don't follow that particular religion.

Seems honey and maple syrup are your main options then.

Stevia is presumably "processed" and hence "not clean" - at least to have any intellectual rigour as the processing is at least as much as for sugar.

The process for agave nectar looks like the process for sugar.