new and wanting support

Options
hey yall im new to the website and im determined to lose weight this year and i need some tips or anything that will help me on my journey and keep me motivated

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome to MFP. Follow the guidelines set out for you by the site, and try to stay positive. :) Motivation comes from within...find where your motivation lies. Love yourself enough to get healthy and treat your body right. Forgive yourself when you fail, but don't use a slip as an excuse to quit. If you have a bad meal, a bad day, a bad week...pick yourself up, and move on.

Good luck.
  • samanthafernandez
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm new too, and I'm finding mfp excellent at keeping me on track!

I've swapped eating food for planning food. I often eat when I'm bored so the more I plan it the less time I have to eat it. Also, I used to be terrible for eating big portions and I've found that eating smaller portions is fine - I'm never hungry after a meal even though it's half the size of what I used to eat.

Good luck!

S
    x
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi. Good luck on your journey to better health. Stick around these message boards, having support (including online) can make a world of difference! DeeDee
  • keely_b
    keely_b Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, im back after nearly a year.....:blushing:
    Time to get back on track, a new year and a new me and it is great to know exactly what you are eatng and how often....
    After losing 19lb last year, the weight has slowly crept back on and i need to shift those lbs again before my sisters wedding in July because ii'm the maid of honour and dnt want to feel or look big in the dress she has chosen for me to wear,

From here on, MFP becomes my friend, family and religion and i would appreciate every little bit of support from everyone. Please feel free to add me, im always lookng for new friends and the more friends and support we all have, the more likely we are to succeed than doing it alone. I have often fell off the band wagon and crashed and burned, but 2010 is the year for me and i can do this x
  • emahjain
    Options
    good luck for the year ahead, i'm new to the site too.
    :)
  • celineabela
    Options
    i'm new too although definitely not a newbie to diets and all that which yo-yos me. i'm desperate this time because i've never felt this bad and heavy. my health is suffering as well and now i really need to stop 'hating' myself and time for some pampering and some TLC.
    i would appreciate any help but i think having to write down all you eat is already an indication of where i'm going wrong.
    :smokin:
  • TanTan1985
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new too! Always wanted to know exactly how many calories, fat etc I eat each day and this site seems perfect (so far).
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi "newest batch of newbies", and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade icecream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:
  • KZ0TX
    KZ0TX Posts: 2
    Options
    THANKS GLAD TO KNOW THAT I HAVE SUPPORT CAUSE THE BALANCE AND TEMPTATIONS FROM FRIENDS DONT HELP I STAY IN A DORM AND ALL I HAVE IS THE BUFFET CAFETERIA OR A MICROWAVE/FRIDGE BUT I FOUND OUT THAT ITS NOT THE BUFFET ITS ME TELLIN MYSELF STOP YOUR FULL AND IT MAKES THINGS ALOT EASIER WHEN I KNOW HEY IM GOING TO HAVE TO LOG THAT IN FEEL FREE TO ADD ME THANKS
  • AshleyNPeters
    AshleyNPeters Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have found it helpful to take before pictures in a bathing suit. No matter how terrible you might feel doing it, taking pictures along the way is a great way to physically see your progress. I have done this so far for every 10 lbs I have lost. This way you can really see the difference. Good luck!