Chronic pain? Read this. 6 months, 74 lbs. (with pics)

Options
kylejh
kylejh Posts: 221 Member
I joined MFP on February 19, but had already been "dieting" for a week, so today is the 6 month mark for my lifestyle transformation, and wow, has it ever been an awesome 6 months!! I haven't missed a day logging into MFP since I joined, and today it is at 176 consecutive days.

Here's my story: overweight my entire adult life, and suffered from major low self esteem because of it. I also had an untreated lower back injury 20 years ago, and the extra weight and inflammation of my joints resulted in osteoarthritis in my SL joint that caused chronic pain in my lower back, thighs and groin for 3+ years. I felt like I couldn't exercise, yet still ate like crap, and eventually ballooned up to 262 lbs (I'm 5'9"). On top of all this, I have smoked for 25 years.

Shortly after turning 40 at the beginning of this year, I had a major wake up call, realized I was slowly killing myself, and that the best thing I could do was lose weight. I didn't think I could exercise, so I decided to make diet changes, and MFP became an awesome tool for tracking food. After 2 weeks, I had the most amazing thing happen: the chronic pain was gone. I couldn't figure it out at first, but some research showed me that my diet changes were the cause of this. All the fatty processed food I had been eating for years were the main cause of my enflamed joints, and by changing the way I ate, my SL joint was very grateful. I started walking every day, and on March 1 I went to the gym for the first time in 10 years, and have never looked back.

I have lost 74 lbs so far, and umpteen inches (have never measured that, but it's significant). I exercise every day for at least an hour, and although I still enjoy food, I am pretty consistent with keeping 300-400 under my net calorie goal for the day. I alternate between 60 mins of cardio one day, and 30 min full body workout and 30 mins of cardio the next. I still feel self conscious about my small belly and love handles (and stupid stubborn back fat!) but those things will be gone in the next few months. I also still need to quit smoking, and have Labor Day slated for that. I've slowly been replacing all of my clothes, and I'm sure the people at Goodwill have been grateful for my weight loss as they've gotten A LOT of donations from me. I feel better than I have since I was a teenager, and never want this feeling to go away.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it can help inspire people with chronic pain. Weight loss and lifestyle changes are purely about mental discipline and not giving up. You need to push your body to its limit each day, and then do it again the next day and the day after that. :)

Not ready to post pictures with my shirt off, but here are a few before and after shots...

IMG_0602-1.jpg

New Year's Eve

photo1.jpg

January 28

IMG_2327.jpg

August 31

photo.jpg

July 1, 2011 to July 1, 2012

Replies

• kristinacottle
    Options
    What an inspiration! Some people use their disabilities as an excuse to not try to get moving. When in reality, most of the time, it is very possible. Good for you :flowerforyou: You look awesome.
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! and i think those piccys may come sooner than you think as you look rly close! ive also noticed changing my diet has helped me with joint pains, i saw a nutritinist and he told me that wheat is pure evil for agravating joints! im trying to do a paleo sort of diet life :D
  • lifewerks
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration! I am going through a similar situation. I hurt all the time. My joints, my back, my feet, my insides, etc. I know it's the junk I eat everyday. I'm tired all the time too. Not a good recipe for a healthy life. Your story gives me hope that I can do this too. That I can help get rid of my pain or at least get it under control. The impact that being overweight has on a person physically and mentally is overwhelming. Great pics by the way and congrats on the weight you've lost so far. Thanks for sharing and putting a liittle light in my darkness.
  • kylejh
    Options
    you look amazing! and i think those piccys may come sooner than you think as you look rly close!

Thank you, but noooo. I still have a small belly and love handles to deal with. A few more months. :)
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Great job!! What an inspiration. Best to you in your continueing quest to get healthy.
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You've made amazing progress! I have a hip and spot on my back that tends to hurt if I overdo it, and I'm hoping those will get better with fewer pounds on my frame as well. Good look with the rest of your journey :)
  • Mommypeanut
    Options
    You look awesome! Good work, I am jealous! I have a major transformation to make!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I am so happy you are pain free! And even happier you will stop smoking. I know you can do it!
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your inspiring story, I also have joint pain. I am new to MFP, if you can do it so can the rest of us. You look AMAZING, great job. The pain I have was my excuse for not exercising, but I took a 30 minute walk today it hurt but I did it. Good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • kylejh
    Options
    I am so happy you are pain free! And even happier you will stop smoking. I know you can do it!

If only I were as confident, lol.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look so much better, younger, and happier! Good for you!
  • kylejh
    Options
    Wow! You look so much better, younger, and happier! Good for you!

Thanks! :happy:
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story. Congratulations on all of your success - you look amazing! Good luck with the next big step. You've accomplished so much already and I'm sure you can't wait to add quitting smoking to that list. You can do it!
  • tmusci
    tmusci Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss goals to date it's hard work and determination but worth it in the end. Started my journey over a year ago just using a different method and lot 78 pounds, but during this time I was still a smoker, my fear was putting the weight back on. When you have an addictive personality it is hard to break a cycle but in February of this year I put the smokes down and havent' picked them back up. I used the smokless ciggarret to get through and it did work but was still hard. I gained about 20 pounds but never stopped working out even during my eating binges. I am happy to say I am completely back on track and the weight is going away I contribute that to Myfitnesspal who showed me what I was putting in my mouth. Best of luck
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your total life style change. Your story is inspirational. I wish you continued success on your journey....You can kick the smoking habit too. Just keep the faith.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Incredible and very inspirational story! And quitting smoking is not as hard as you might think. I did it 15 years ago. I started with the patch, but it hurt my arm so I stopped using it after a week. Went cold turkey from there on. You can do it! You look great!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you look incredible! way to take control and get to feeling better without tons of medication, etc. Good job!
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success....you really are an inspiration. You should be so proud of yourself.
    I think it is amazing how even your diet choices helped to eliminate your pain, that is a true testament to the power of healthy eating for sure.
    PS. I am from Ontario too!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! You look like (and I'm sure you feel like) a totally different person! Wtg on reaping the benefits of your hard work. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!