Strength training

Options
So I started this about 5-6 weeks ago just walking ... Im now looking to add in some weights as well.
Where would be a good place to start? (I'm lost here)

I know reps and sets but I have no idea how many of each I should do?? And to log it here doesnt show any calories burned etc correct?

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'd start at the public library. There a many books on strength training there to try. If you find one that really works for you, then buy yourself a copy. I'd get one used online.
    A second easy place to get strength training ideas is the internet. There are You Tube videos, Net Flix has videos and there are DVD's for sale.
    Its good to go for a balanced routine that works both upper and lower body, and your back as well as your front.
    If you join a gym they will usually give you one free session with a trainer to teach you how to use the machines. A personal trainer can be very helpful, if you can afford that.
    Good luck and don't wait to get started. :happy:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I asked basically the same question back in March/April, and someone suggested New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love it, and highly recommend it. It's hard work, and different than I thought it would be, but I'm definitely seeing results from it a LOT more than when I did cardio only.

*Edited to add: I wear my HRM even when I'm lifting, and I log those calories burned. If you log strength training with the specific exercises & reps you do, MFP won't count calories for that, but there's also a generic listing for weights in the cardio section of this site.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Typically reps should be between 8-12 you can also go lower i.e 5 reps or higher i.e 15 reps. 3-4 sets per exercise for 3-4 exercises is sufficent..
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you look up strength training under cardio, it will give you a number. It's kind of an average burn, some find it too generous.

I do 3 sets of 10 reps for each machine at a high enough weight where I couldn't possibly do another rep without sacrificing form. I do very few free weights as that corner is usually jam-packed.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    If you look up strength training under cardio, it will give you a number. It's kind of an average burn, some find it too generous.

I do 3 sets of 10 reps for each machine at a high enough weight where I couldn't possibly do another rep without sacrificing form. I do very few free weights as that corner is usually jam-packed.

this is great, thanks for this! that's what I want ... 3 sets of 10 .. I did 2 sets of 10 today, I wasnt sure what more I should do ...
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Usually you wouldn't normally burn enough calories during Strength Training to make it worth logging and MFP will grossly over state how much. Then you'll wonder why you're not loosing weight. It will depend on the amount of intensity and effort you put into it plus how long your rest periods are.
    The benefit of Strength Training is long term by increasing your metabolism and hence your bodies natural ability to burn calories.
    Yes, read up on it and get at least some initial guidance from a trainer at a local gym. Usually a fairly good one will get you going with what you need and show you the correct way to do various routines. Make sure they also show you how to do some Core Strength Training. If they don't then I don't think they're very good since Core Strength helps with correct posture when lifting weights.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" at Barnes and Nobles! It's very good.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" at Barnes and Nobles! It's very good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

And then join that group. Or join that group first. :smile:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

And then join that group. Or join that group first. :smile:

Best combined advice. I would just add that a Personal Trainer is essential in the beginning, good form is essential not only to get the most out of each exercise but to prevent injury.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will be getting a personal trainer for the beginning ... I cant afford one ongoing but I think I might get one 3-4 times a year :)

Best combined advice. I would just add that a Personal Trainer is essential in the beginning, good form is essential not only to get the most out of each exercise but to prevent injury.
    [/quote]