Lifting Heavy for Women - I think I'm a weed!!!!!!

Options
Arrgh - I've been reading various posts about women's lifting; heavy lifting for women; new rules of lifting; stepping away from the Barbie weights etc.... I am just starting the "Lean" month of Chalean Extreme.

But I'm beginning to suspect that my idea of "heavy" is definitely not the same as other peoples!!!

We have a set of adjustable dumbells at home and so far the most I can "lift" is about 15kg - about 33lbs - and that's when I'm doing squats etc (most I can lift on a bicep curl is 10kg and I really struggle with that!). Anything that involves triceps/deltoids/lat raises etc is pathetically light!

I've read posts where ladies are deadlifting 100lbs + - how is this possible? Is it just a matter of building up strength over a period of time? Does everyone lift lighter (heavy) weights depending on what muscle group is being used?

I'm concerned that I thought I was doing a good thing but actually I might not be doing it right and be still on the "Barbie" weights!

Replies

• DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Barbie weights are 2 lbs, 3 lbs, weights like that. I think you're doing fine!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It will come. Just keep lifting, resting and eating. The body will develop. :-)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    For anyone it is a matter of building up strength over time. Most of the ladies making these posts are reading a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Some of my close Pals highly recommend it if you want to understand the phenomenon.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    you are doing just fine! you cant expect to go from "average woman" to weightlifting athlete in a few sessions. build it up slowly and your strength will improve, you're stronger than me if that makes you feel any better and i started weights a few weeks ago.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    IMO, lifting "heavy" is different for each individual person. It means pushing yourself past your comfort zone, not being afraid of having some muscle definition instead of just toning. The barbie weight idea is that women don't want muscular arms or legs. But as long as you are challenging yourself and then increasing the weight as it becomes easier, then for you, you are lifting "heavy". Awesome job.
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, the ability to lift heavy is acquired over time, beginning with barbie weights and then progressing. You're normal! We all start somewhere. Just have some patience.

I'm not a trainer but here's some advice that I once received: Start with barbie weights and do your curls, shoulder presses, triceps lying extensions, flies, dumbbell bench presses. Do as many reps as you can of an exercise until your arms can't take it anymore. If you were able to do WAY more than 10, then you can progress 2-5 lbs on the dumbbell. Then try to get to 4 sets of 10, or as many as you can do in a set until you can get to 10. Then you progress again. I'd give about 2-3 days between each arm workout.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When you say you're 10-15kg, is that per dumbbell or total weight for both?

Either way, those aren't Barbie-sized weights, but if you're, for instance, curling two 10kg dumbbells, that's 44 pounds total and not something to be ashamed of!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You have to work up to it, I first started lifting in high school and I could barely squat the 45lb bar and that was like pure torture on my body. I squatted 115 yesterday and I'm deadlifting 110 right now with my current lifting program. I honestly realized that I could do a lot more weight than I set myself up for, and the idea is that you want your last rep to be the last rep you can do with good form, so if you feel that you can do 5 more reps, you need up up your weight. I really honestly believe it just takes time and pushing yourself and you'll get there. It should be uncomfortable to lift, thats the only way you change your body, by putting stress on it.

Other people may have better advice, but thats been my experience with it so far
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Arrgh - I've been reading various posts about women's lifting; heavy lifting for women; new rules of lifting; stepping away from the Barbie weights etc.... I am just starting the "Lean" month of Chalean Extreme.

But I'm beginning to suspect that my idea of "heavy" is definitely not the same as other peoples!!!

We have a set of adjustable dumbells at home and so far the most I can "lift" is about 15kg - about 33lbs - and that's when I'm doing squats etc (most I can lift on a bicep curl is 10kg and I really struggle with that!). Anything that involves triceps/deltoids/lat raises etc is pathetically light!

I've read posts where ladies are deadlifting 100lbs + - how is this possible? Is it just a matter of building up strength over a period of time? Does everyone lift lighter (heavy) weights depending on what muscle group is being used?

I'm concerned that I thought I was doing a good thing but actually I might not be doing it right and be still on the "Barbie" weights!

Heavy = heavy for you. If you can do a set of 5 with 1-2 more reps left until failure. The strength will come. Also different exercises require different weights. My lower body is much stronger than my upper.

Good for you lifting that weight. Try to increase everytime you lift.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing great :). I had to work up to about what you're lifting over months and I couldn't curl 10 kg for more than a rep or two I don't think. Also, if you're squatting with 33 lb dumbbells in each hand, you're squatting with 66 total lbs of weight.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    :You build strength over time. You are doing great so far and are definitely not at Barbie weights. I can deadlift 140lbs (sorry I don't know what that is in kg) but with curls I'm a wimp in comparison (25lbs). :tongue: Just keep doing what youa re doing and keep transforming. Everyday you are getting better and stronger! :flowerforyou:
  • herbalkitty
    herbalkitty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use weight machines at the gym and my personal trainer decides how much I lift and he makes it a little heavier each week so just keep it up and build it up when you can. My heaviest so far has been 70kgs on leg press but it varies for each machine, I can lift less with my arms than I can with my legs currently but I'm working on it.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options

It takes time to get up to 100 lbs:) I've been lifting for 5 months and am only up 60 in most lifts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    My wife deadlifted 215 the other day. (Squat 190) On a calorie deficit.

She has never lifted weights before, and it took her about 3 months to get to this point.

There's no trick. Just follow a strength building program, like Starting Strength or Stronglift, and it comes with a little time/
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I thought the same when I read those posts a few weeks ago. But now I've been lifting for maybe 6 weeks but I am improving hugely I use them as motivation. My weights are in kilos too and translate it to pounds for tracking. I try to add 1.25kg to a dumbbell and 2x 1.25kg to a barbell every week if possible (though I don't always manage it - I seem to go in bursts).

Also make sure you are lifting to failure - i.e. until you can't quite complete your full set. Otherwise you may find you can afford to go up maybe another 2.5kg.

You need to build up your strength. Think of it this way - it would be a bit insulting if someone had been lifting weights for a year and then you came in and could match them on your first week.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    And just to add to all the wonderful stuff above, there is a huge difference in most people between bicep curls/tricep extension weights and squat or deadlift weight. Your legs are the biggest muscle group and can handle much more than your arms can. Deadlifts use your back and your legs so you're using another large muscle group and you're working in a different way than curls or extensions. I think you're doing awesome and I agree with the idea of adding a little more, even every week or month would make a difference. Happy lifting! :)
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - you're all so encouraging! :blushing:

I guess as I'm working on my own and not in a gym I struggle to have anything to measure against and then have a bit of a panic that I'm way off base for what I think I'm doing/should be doing!

Following the Chalean programme I've noticed real definition in my shoulders, arms and biceps; legs were OK anyway as I run, horse ride and cycle. I have a month left on Chalean and then will be moving onto New Rules for Women (but not following their eating plans).

For some of the ? I saw:

For squats/lunges etc, that's a 15kg weight in each hand;

Biceps are also 10kg in each hand, though I've found my left arm fatigues much more quickly than my right, so I generally do as many as I can at that weight (about 4) and then change to my next weight down, which is 7.5kg.

Heehee and then for lat raises/tricep work (I reaaaaaaaallly struggle with those) about the most I can manage is 2.5kg, 5kg at a push on a good day - unless it's an overhead tricep thing and then I can usually do 7.5kg but usually can't manage any more than about 8 reps total at that weight.

Woohoo perhaps I'm not as weedy as I thought - though I couldn't get the lid off a new jar of coffee this morning and had to get someone else to do it!!!!!! :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The more you strength train, the more you will be able to lift in time.

When I started, I was using 7.5 pound dumbells for pretty much everything... now I'm curling a 45 pound bar and doing overhead presses with a 45 pound barbell.

I can also squat/deadlift a good amount of weight.. but thats because my lower half is really strong and my trainer loves to push my abilities to the max.
  • becon1022
    Options
    you are doing great. as long as you are pushing yourself and improving thats all that matters. theres always going to be people stronger. plus comparing bicep curls to a deadlift is crazy, comparing anything to deadlifts is crazy period. i can deadlift 425lb but only curl 40/45lb db & squat 355lb. plus using a bar is totally diff than using db ( my max shoulder press with a bar is 195lb i'm not lifting that in dumbbells trust me). if you would like to lift more weight set a goal for yourself & push yourself to get there, you'll diff keep getting stronger though. just remember forum way more important than weight!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    IMO, lifting "heavy" is different for each individual person. It means pushing yourself past your comfort zone, not being afraid of having some muscle definition instead of just toning. The barbie weight idea is that women don't want muscular arms or legs. But as long as you are challenging yourself and then increasing the weight as it becomes easier, then for you, you are lifting "heavy". Awesome job.

I agree!