Frustrated..Should I increase calorie intake?

Options
I've been tracking my calories off and on for months and am not seeing progress. I keep hearing that I'm not eating enough calories, but am afraid to increase my calorie intake. Anyone had the same problem that say success by upping the calorie count. I'm not a big fitness buff -- I walk about 4 hours a week...that's it. I am on 1200 calories and typically come in under calorie intake each day.

Advice?

Replies

• mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had a qucik look in your diary, you're eating 700-900 calories a day in some of the days I looked at. You need to eat more than that. Also, try logging your sodium and sugar intake, and try adding in some more fruit, salad, vegetables, whichever you prefer. Are you drinking lots of water?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not you are in starvation mode, you should be eating more than 700-900 calories unless your doc put you on that for some reason.

What do you mean when you say "off an on?" The off could be cancelling out the on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the first problem is the 'on and off' log properly for a fortnight, and stick you the cals mfp sets for you (not under), then see what happens.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Check out this thread and run your numbers. See what your calorie intake should be. Unless you are under the care of a doctor, I would think you need more than 700 -800 cals a day.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Check out this thread and run your numbers. See what your calorie intake should be. Unless you are under the care of a doctor, I would think you need more than 700 -800 cals a day.

Good luck. :smile:

This worked for me. Good luck.
  • gwenm4
    gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 5 - 6 cups a day. I think you're right. More fruits and vegetables!
  • gwenm4
    Options
    What I meant by off and on was really not putting into the diary. I've been pretty consistent for at least 4 or 5 months.
  • gwenm4
    Options
    :smile: Thanks! Have been sticking for about 4 months..just don't always put into the diary. I think it does definitely help to keep track though.
  • gdeneen
    gdeneen Posts: 1
    Options
    Good morning!
    I feel your pain. I struggled for YEARS with weight management. Only now, at age 53, am I finally feeling like my appetite is under control and I'm only a few pounds from my goal weight. This may not work for you, but I read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, and watched "Food Revolution" -- and based on their science, I quite eating all grains and sugars. Not a small change, certainly, but my cravings went away, my allergies have almost entirely disappeared, my energy is stable and my mood is pretty darn great. Oh, I'm losing weight, too. Not at light speed, but at about a half-pound per week, without being hungry or feeling shaky. You may not need to be as stringent as I am, but cutting way back on grains and sugars, eating more healthy protein and LOTS of veggies may be the key for you. Good luck!
  • delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It makes me hungry to read your diary. Good Lord - you are hardly eating. You definitely need to eat more - add in vegetables, salads, fruits. Those will add volume but not a ton of calories. If MFP is giving you 1200 calories, that includes the deficit so don't try to go under that.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would try getting your calories up to 1200, maybe adding a healthy breakfast (instead of just tea) -- that should help to get you up to that 1200 mark. Give yourself a few weeks of consistently have 1200 calroies and hopefully you'll begin to see a change.

Make sure you don't only add fruits/vegetables. Add some protein in there too. And a little fat (avocado, nuts <-- both go GREAT on salad)
  • janicemitchellcross
    janicemitchellcross Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you really need to increase your calorie intake I was at a plateau and increased my calories by 200 a day and within 4 days weight had started to come off again. Your body is a machine and needs fuel to work properly' Good luck
  • gwenm4
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your responses! I really don't each much, I know! need to explore new recipe ideas!