Did I work it out right ?

Options
My BMR is 1858

"TDEE = BMR x Activity "
Sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1.2 x BMR = 2229

" To lose weight - Daily Calorie Intake = TDEE - (20% of your TDEE) "

TDEE = 2229 - 445 = 1784

So I should be eating 1784 calories a day ?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you got it right.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    you got it right.

Thank you :)

One more question.

Should I eat 1784 and then exercise, or should I eat over that amount and then exercise so my net calories end up being 1784 ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    as your 1784 excludes any consideration of exercise, on days where you do exercise you can eat more and stay at the original target calorie deficit.

Just be sure the calorie estimate isn't too high ! Some people add on half of the exercise cals just in case.
  • sassy616
    sassy616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Can you tell me where the 1.2 multiplier comes for sedentary activity. Is there a specific multiplier for other activity levels?
  • leanne9876
    Options
    Hi,
    Can you tell me where the 1.2 multiplier comes for sedentary activity. Is there a specific multiplier for other activity levels?

I got it from another thread, I'll see if I can find it.
  • leanne9876
    Options
    as your 1784 excludes any consideration of exercise, on days where you do exercise you can eat more and stay at the original target calorie deficit.

Just be sure the calorie estimate isn't too high ! Some people add on half of the exercise cals just in case.

I'm 108kg, I worked out the 1784 on one of those sites that calculates it for you.
  • leanne9876
    Options
    Hi,

I got it from another thread, I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/704572-key-point-you-need-to-remember-about-losing-fat

Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the number of calories you need each day to maintain your current weight.

TDEE = BMR x Activity

Sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1.2 x BMR
    Light (little exercise/sports 1-3x per week) = 1.375 x BMR
    Moderate (moderate exercise/sports 3-5x per week) = 1.550 x BMR
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7x per week) = 1.725 x BMR
    Extra Active (physical job or 2x a day training) = 1.9 x BMR

BMR (women)= 655 + ( 4.35 * Weight ) + ( 4.7 * Height ) - ( 4.7 * Age )

To lose weight - Daily Calorie Intake = TDEE - (20% of your TDEE)

1lb of fat =3500 calories. By cutting 500 calories a day, you can lose 1 lb a week. 1lb being the recommended norm.

If you exercise, you create an additional calorie deficit, but since your body will need to recover, it's recommended to eat back your exercise calories...if not all, then most.

And water...lots of water, can't go wrong there!

Your body is always burning calories, even when sleeping or lying on the couch watching tv.
    Calories are fuel, without them, we break down. Too much and we store them and expand as a result.
  • azwethinkweizm
    azwethinkweizm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1858

"TDEE = BMR x Activity "
    Sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1.2 x BMR = 2229

" To lose weight - Daily Calorie Intake = TDEE - (20% of your TDEE) "

TDEE = 2229 - 445 = 1784

So I should be eating 1784 calories a day ?

Your BMR is1858? I thought that you had to eat at _least_ your BMR? But according to your calculation you're eating less?
    I used Scoobys Calorie Calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) and got 1489 as my BMR and 2303 as my TDEE. And then my Daily calories work out as 1846 (for 20% reduction).
    Sorry, I'm getting confused? :frown:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That is odd since it gives me 1950 calories but if I eat that and exercise, I maintain. I'd use it as a guideline more than anything. I like the MFP 1500 range.