Yes I am trying low-carb. A quick question about it

Options
I am going from a "well rounded" diet of about 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats to 10%, 45%, 45%.

So I was averaging about 150 gr of carbs previously and am trying to stay around 20-30gr now.

is that "low carb"enough to get an effect?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yes, 20-30g of carbs is definitely "low carb".

Your protein % is quite high.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am trying to keep it high because I do my fair share of strength training and from what I understand i need to get in lot's of it :)
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    Sounds good. I did low carb for a few months, keeping my carbs below 30g not counting the fiber. Worked well.
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    Yes it is not easy to do. That is basically the carbs you get from your vegetables. It works but there is definately a transition period. I recommend you work your way down over a few weeks.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes, that should work for you. I’ve been doing low carb for almost 5 months now and have had a lot of success with it. The first month I was about 30-40 carbs per day. Now I’m more like 60-70. This way my body still gets what It needs & will not revolt! My protein is about 150-190g / day.
  • veronica_0920
    veronica_0920 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Geesh- 40-40-20 is still considered "low-carb" Your going to go pretty much "No-carb"! I would think you would see quick results.. I've played this game with carbs before to and always lose a quick 10 (usually water weight though) cause as soon as I bring healthy carbs (whole grains, green leafys) the weight comes back. So, for me- I have found the 40-40-20 to work well and consistently. Good luck to you- it's a tough cut, but- you should DEF see results... question is will you maintain after??? Let us know :-)
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's quite low carb. I just try to keep mine under 100.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    20/30/50 carb/fat/protein is what I use, and it has proven to be a very good ratio for cutting
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am doing low-carb through a doctor, and her plan permits 40-50 a day.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes that is definitely low carb. That's about Atkins induction phase (20g). I used to be on 50g or less and it worked until it stopped working lol. Good luck!
  • vfinkenstadt
    Options
    I, also. "slow carb" gets my carb content down since the carb comes from veg/fruit rather than white carbs.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Definately low enuff....
    You will feel it..... You may or may not stay with it, but you will learn a lot about your body and it's responces to food/cravings...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My macro-nutrients are 65 fat, 35 protein, and 10 carb. I go over on my carb usually but MFP keeps the fibre in the total, so when I deduct that, I'm usually pretty close.

I am losing weight and, most importantly, I feel GREAT. No more struggling with food addictions and binging.

In my opinion, having lots of healthy fat is most important to eating this way. I use coconut oil, olive oil and butter (ghee is great too). I have full fat cream in my coffee too, but dairy isn't necessarily ideal for everyone.

My food diary is open to everyone.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    going low carb you will have extra meat available and there is that protein you desire for the added strength training. Best of luck.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Geesh- 40-40-20 is still considered "low-carb" Your going to go pretty much "No-carb"! I would think you would see quick results..

I agree with this. Its still super low if you're only eating carbs from dairy or vegetables, not grains pastas or sugars.

Everyone is different. Do some research on Ketosis and how our brain needs sugar as fuel. For some people, going too low can be dangerous. I have found my body works best around 100g carbs a day, thats with 2 servings of grains and dairy as my main carb fuel.

Its doable! Good luck!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    20 grams/day is what's recommended in the induction phase of the Atkins diet. I tried it and lost almost 40 lbs, but gained it all back and then some. I was b*tchy and miserable after eating nothing but meat, greens and cheese for months. If it works for you, go for it! Good luck.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be low carb, but I don't think I could go as low as 20-30g/day. I have my macros set to 40% protein, 30% fats, 30% carbs, (1600 calories/day) and I get almost 100% of my carbohydrates from fruits and veggies (I rarely eat bread or pasta, and when I do it's maybe one serving a day and it's gluten free). My carbs usually wind up somewhere around 90g depending on my day and I've found that with the amount of exercise that I do (strength training and running) I need about that much to feel properly fueled through workouts. The weight/inches began to MELT off when I changed my diet to this (from the standard 45% carbs), and I feel soooo much better and less sluggish.

Just make sure you have enough fuel to get through your workouts and you should be ok! Nutrition is very unique to each person, so whatever makes you feel your best and makes your body perform it's best is what you should stick to.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
  • cyneliason
    Options
    If you use Atkins' "induction" phase it limits you to 20 grams of "net carbs" per day and some of that comes from leafy green vegetables.

I've read a few posts on MFP from people who tried to do low-carb diets without eating any vegetables then complained that it was too unhealthy. If you get the Atkins book and follow the program it does insist that you eat salad greens and other veggies, and when you want to increase your carbs you do it gradually to find out what your limit has to be to still lose weight. In the last phase, after you've lost the weight you need to lose, you are still required to eat mindfully or else the weight will come back. The book stresses that it is a life-long food plan and if you just drop the program after you've lost the extra weight, it'll come back.

For me the best thing about low-carb dieting is that I don't have the snack cravings I used to have. I can walk right past the cookies and potato chips without thinking how much I'd like to have some of that. In some ways this is the easiest diet I've ever used. Most of the time I have a big salad every day, so I don't understand the person who talked about "adding back in" leafy green vegetables. They are right there from the start!
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    20/30/50 carb/fat/protein is what I use, and it has proven to be a very good ratio for cutting

I agree, this has been my sweet ratio for attaining 3-5% bodyfat every year.