Hurt Knee. . . Which is Worse?

Options
Raynne413
Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
So I somehow managed to somehow injure my knee a little over a week ago, and it isn't much better. I'm taking anti-inflammatories and I'm icing it after every workout. Here's my question:

Which would be worse on my knee, dance aerobics or the elliptical??

Replies

• abadaba
    abadaba Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a bad knee, too, and the aerobics is much harder on it. Do the elliptical, or better yet, swim!
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would say dance aerobics would be worse because you are applying forces on the knee from moving in multiply planes and angles while you are keeping in aligned while on the elliptical.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee, too, and the aerobics is much harder on it. Do the elliptical, or better yet, swim!

what she said
    but if you go swimming stick with freestyle
    no breaststroke (it can make knees worse)
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I thought that would be the answer, but wanted to get other opinions. :frown: I will cut back on the dancing for awhile, and wear a brace when I do. I like to do cardio inbetween my strength training sets, and I used to use my dance games, but I'll switch to the elliptical for now.

Unfortunately, no pool access and screwed up rotator cuff. :grumble:
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a Dr? Where is the pain in your knee located. I think any knee pain that has lasted over a week and is still painful enough for you to have concern should be checked by a Dr.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have chronic issues with my knee, and I have always been told by my orthopedic dr. to stick to the elliptical trainer, the recumbant bike (which can be iffy, IMO, but it's better than like, a spin bike), or swimming when I'm in pain.

If it isn't getting better within the next week or so, I'd go to the doctor and see what's up. Knee pain sucks, hope you get to healing soon!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nick. Anything that would have been a minor injury would have subsided by now. Also, if it ends up being a ligament tear, swimming is one of the WORST things you can do on it. Stationary bike was all I was allowed to do after I blew my knee...
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I haven't gone yet. The pain is below my kneecap. It's odd, though, because it doesn't hurt during my workouts or during the day walking around. The ONLY time it hurts is when I go to climb upstairs after my workouts. After that one climb up, which is fairly painful, it's fine. I can go up and down stairs all day with virtually no discomfort.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I have chronic issues with my knee, and I have always been told by my orthopedic dr. to stick to the elliptical trainer, the recumbant bike (which can be iffy, IMO, but it's better than like, a spin bike), or swimming when I'm in pain.

If it isn't getting better within the next week or so, I'd go to the doctor and see what's up. Knee pain sucks, hope you get to healing soon!

Thanks! I'll try switching over to the elliptical for the majority of my cardio.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    I agree with Nick. Anything that would have been a minor injury would have subsided by now. Also, if it ends up being a ligament tear, swimming is one of the WORST things you can do on it. Stationary bike was all I was allowed to do after I blew my knee...

I would think, though, if it was a tear that it would hurt rather consistently, wouldn't it?? It only hurts intermittently, and I can predict exactly when it is going to hurt.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the specific injury.

What is actually wrong with your knee?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    It really depends on the specific injury.

What is actually wrong with your knee?

The pain came on suddenly, on the 4th. Did my normal workout, went to climb the stairs, all of a sudden, excruciating pain in my knee below the knee cap. No pain after that, or during my workouts. In the past week, it's easily predictable. I work out 20 minutes in the morning, slight pain going up the stairs to shower, after that, no pain. No pain when walking. Climb up and down stairs at work at least ten times every day with no discomfort. Go home, circuit training and stretch for around 2 hours (no pain during workout), go to climb stairs to shower, pain again. After that one time, fine. No pain when going downstairs or for the rest of the night.

I have been icing after working out, and that seems to decrease the level of pain when I go upstairs. Also taking anti-inflammatories. Pain is sharp and stabbing. Stabilization during workouts seems normal. No swelling. Not tender to the touch, although the tendons to the left are sensitive to touch, but that is bursitis.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    Sounds like runners knee. But I am no Dr and if the pain is excruciating then you are running the risk of permanent injury.

Two kinds of pain exist when training.

1. Dull pain that is safe to push through
    2. Sharp pain that indicates injury and all physical activity should cease.

After you see a Dr try going to a sport store and getting an IT brace for your knee :)
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Well, if it makes a difference, it was only excruciating the first time. So I don't know if it's gotten better, or if I'm just acclimating to the pain, which I tend to be good at.
    I was wondering if it was Runner's Knee, from some of the things I have read.

The problem, and why I have to continued to workout on it, is that I have no discomfort WHILE working out. It's only after. I may end up going to Campbell Clinic after hours on Thursday if it still hasn't improved any.
  • nickhuffman74
    Options
    Good luck with your knee. I get runners knee sometimes and I know how much it sucks to get your training sidelined.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Thanks! I hate not being able to work out. Which is why I've kept going on it. Although, I will say that if it had been bothering me DURING workouts, I have enough sense to stop.
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    It depends on the type of injury. I had a small tear in my meniscus that would kill me after doing cardio (not so much during), whether it be running, swimming, elliptical. Sometimes I could hardly walk the next day. Low volume heavy lifting didn't bother it much, though.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    It depends on the type of injury. I had a small tear in my meniscus that would kill me after doing cardio (not so much during), whether it be running, swimming, elliptical. Sometimes I could hardly walk the next day. Low volume heavy lifting didn't bother it much, though.

After cardio is always the case for me, but it is also only IMMEDIATELY after cardio, then it's fine. It never seems to carry over past that one climb up the stairs. Which is why it seems so incredibly odd.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    For anyone interested in a follow up, I went to the Dr. and I have Patellar Chondromalatia, which from what I've read is a catch-all term for knee pain. LOL I can't take NSAIDs because I'm on bloodthinner, at least not prescription strength, so I'm sticking to Advil and Icing and he put me on steriods. Gave me a brace and said I'm fine to continue to workout.