Suggestions for sport to use for "The Firm" Tapes

Options
Hey all,

I frequently do "The Firm" videos and can't decide if they're aerobics, aerobic weight lifting or circuit training. Any suggestions? If you're not familiar with them, they use a combination of aerobics and weights, and frequently exercise more than one muscle group at a time.

Thanks!

P.S. I use 5-10 pound hand weights.

Replies

• stacianne93
    stacianne93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had the same question for a long time. I love my FIRMs, by the way! I've seen someone say to classify them as Interval training. Until I can find a "firm" answer, I don't log them; I just put them in my status.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It depends on the video. Some of them are cardio, some are circuit, some are intervals. Some of them are slow enough that you can lift pretty heavy and others not so much.

They, at one time, had their own classification system. Tortoise workouts had 75% weights/25% aerobics; Hares: 75% aerobics/25% weights; Classics: 50/50; Cardio: all cardio (with light weights for increasing intensity, not strength); Total Sculpt: full body strength; Splits: strength for specific parts. I think Abs and stretch might be classifications as well.

For classifications on all Firm workouts through 2009 on this scheme and lots more info, you look here: http://plcm.abitofperil.net/FBUltimateCompendium.pdf for a guide that a Firm fan put together.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to add that I have been doing some combination of Firm videos since 1996 (yes, that's 16 years) and I think they are the best thing going for women. I have tried many other videos, including P90X and Jillian Michaels, but I always end up back with the Firm at some point. Glad to see others use them too.

BTW, I usually log the fast pace ones as circuit training and the slower as strength. I have used the P90X website to determine calorie burn for those workouts and I think the Firm workouts are comparable.