How do you find the time?

Options
I know this question is asked alot. I work as a care aid in a lodge ( taking care of the elderly, dressing, feeding,cleaning, moving ( wheel chairs, lifts, brodas)... ect) I am always on the go and I work shift work. When I come home my legs are so tired and well my whole body is exhausted.

How do i push my self to work out or should i just take it as I have worked out enough?

Replies

• pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always work out before work so I have no excuses. I am always tired at the end of the work day and the last thing I want to do is go to the gym so I just get up in the morning and go before work instead. It has become part of my normal routine and it feels odd now if I can't go for some reason
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    I know this question is asked alot. I work as a care aid in a lodge ( taking care of the elderly, dressing, feeding,cleaning, moving ( wheel chairs, lifts, brodas)... ect) I am always on the go and I work shift work. When I come home my legs are so tired and well my whole body is exhausted.

How do i push my self to work out or should i just take it as I have worked out enough?
    Like anything that is important to you, you make the time. If you're tired from physical work, then it could be you're not getting enough rest/and or food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Like anything that is important to you, you make the time. If you're tired from physical work, then it could be you're not getting enough rest/and or food.

This! If you're not making time to work out - then it's just not that important to you right now, because if it was, you'd be making time for it.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I suppose I am lucky because I work at a desk from 8-5 and have no husband or kids--I have quite a bit of free time and so I end up spending a lot of it exercising. I would say the easiest way to fit in exercise is to get up early and do it in the morning, or if you are working shifts, get it done before work. On days when I go after work, I don't let myself go home before I go to the gym--otherwise I know I would just end up staying there.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am lucky because I work at a desk from 8-5 and have no husband or kids--I have quite a bit of free time and so I end up spending a lot of it exercising. I would say the easiest way to fit in exercise is to get up early and do it in the morning, or if you are working shifts, get it done before work. On days when I go after work, I don't let myself go home before I go to the gym--otherwise I know I would just end up staying there.

Ditto on the after work. I go straight from work to the gym so I don't even have a chance to blow it off.
  • designnewme
    Options
    There are many times when I just don't feel like I have the time. It's easy to do and I have allowed it to get in my way often. I made a decision just yesterday to not allow anything to interfere with my weight loss journey going forward - it is time to make this effort successful once and for all. I work full-time, have a family and run a business on the side as well so my days and nights are easily taken. As hard as it will be, I think I will be asking myself a lot how bad I really want to become healthier?
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is my main problem. I work part-time and up at 5:15 am and don't stop till 9:30 pm. at night. I try and get a 30 minute walk in during lunch, but sometimes work doesn't permit. The days I'm off, I have 2 toddlers to take care of and a 7 year old. Only one of them nap and when that happens, I need to shower, do laundry and catch up on housework. They are all early risers and usually up for the day at 6:30 the latest. Exercise is something I really want to do, but in all honesty, when? Sleep is supposed to be just as important but all the suggestions are get up early. I guess I should be getting up at 4:30 and getting barely 6 hours of broken sleep a night? i'm so torn as to how to fit this in and part of me just says to accept that until my kids are older, I can't do it.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I make the time. It comes down to how bad you want to. I worked 50 hours a week, aced my architecture classes, made it to most of my wrestling training classes and lost 50 lbs. I was in the gym at 5am and not home until after 11pm most days but I made it happen.
  • Paul_Hodge
    Options
    There are many times when I just don't feel like I have the time. It's easy to do and I have allowed it to get in my way often. I made a decision just yesterday to not allow anything to interfere with my weight loss journey going forward - it is time to make this effort successful once and for all. I work full-time, have a family and run a business on the side as well so my days and nights are easily taken. As hard as it will be, I think I will be asking myself a lot how bad I really want to become healthier?

This is exactly what happened to me. I just couldn't take it anymore and I made a DECISION to change. It can only come from within and you have to really want it. Always remember that you are doing this for yourself and that you are important too. I guess what I'm saying is that you have to have the mindset (not saying that you don't) but you have to take personal responsibility for yourself and decide to make a change, once and for all. You have to make the time for you.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've had to very strongly put my foot down and declare my workout time as MINE. Most of the time I try to run very early in the morning, especially my long weekend run--so I'm not really interfering with anyone else's schedule there. But the times I need to work out mid-day or evening, I have to protect those, both at home and at work. Everyone tends to say something along the lines of "well you could miss just this once and do this for me/with me instead......." Gotta say no, unless it's something vitally important. Took me a long time to get to that point, and for everyone else to get the message that they needed to respect that time I need for ME.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Recently, I felt overwhelmed by trying to fit in exercise as well. One day, I sat down with a weekly planner and thought out how I could fit a bit of exercise in: 30min strength training, 150min cardio, and 30min stretching per week to start. I consulted with my family on their needs, considered my full-time work schedule, and came up with a plan that fit everyone - and it only required waking up insanely early one day per week. Winning!! It's not pretty, and it's not easy, but it feels really good to stick with that plan. I find that if I know ahead of time when/where/what exercise I'm going to do, I'm more likely to stick to it (even when I'm falling asleep on the elliptical!).

For the mom above, if you have to, use the TV and your 7-year-old to fit that shower etc. in after naptime so you can exercise during. Arrange for someone else to help with watching the kids while you have your 'me-time'. It takes planning, and then commitment to stick with that plan, but I've done it and so can you!
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm off till September but once school rolls around it's hard and I'm usually working out at 10pm, hope to get a better routine going soon!