Ate well/exercised and the scale didn't budge!!!!!!!!!

Options
I weighed in this AM to see the scale actually went up a few ounces! It was discouraged and almost ready to stuff a burger with extra cheese and a side of fries down my throat, but when I thought about it I think it was because I worked out a lot and actually went under the 1200 calories and maybe my body thought it was starving???? I was told that could happen so anyway, I'm not quitting and I will try to eat cleaner and pay more attention to my food this week.

Pray for me!

Replies

• bby_baer
    Options
    Remember too that as you are working out, you are also gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so that may be part of it too. As long as you know you got in a good work out and ate as close to the calorie goals as you could, I wouldn't worry about it. I actually had the same problem this morning, was about just under a pound. It can be discouraging, but unless you put on a lot of weigh at once, just take a deep breath and focus on continuing the progress throughout the day to make a better difference tomorrow. : )
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Don't get a cheeseburger and fries. It will happen. Try eating about fifty calories over never under.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the good work and do your best. Your body will catch up and the weight WILL come off! As you noted though, make sure to eat at LEAST 1200 calories! Your body needs them for everything, including weight loss.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    JaneanAriel,
    Don't get discouraged. You didn't say how long it was since you weighed last. I would suggest not weighing more than once a week or twice at the most. If you worked out a lot, you may have added muscle mass to offset the fat loss.

Keep the faith and don't let this hurdle stop you.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Also consider that when you begin to exercise your body retains water when rebuilding the muscles. You may see the scale jump a couple pounds initially - within the first 1-2 weeks of workouts - and then it will go back down as long as you're eating well and sticking with exercise.
  • C21x
    C21x Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take measurements as well. it really helps to see inches come off. Also it is really important to eat your excercise calories every time.
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that it's not just how you look or how much weight you're losing, but how you feel. If you're eating right and exercising, you ought to feel great! Just knowing that you're living a better life should make you feel better already. Don't worry about the scale, it can't tell you how you feel, only you can.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Because a cheeseburger is really going to help you reach your goals. (Not that I think cheeseburgers are particularly bad -- I've eaten several over the last few months & still lost weight...)
    Logic! :flowerforyou:

C'mon -- keep doing what you're doing. You have to give it longer than a week. If you think you need to eat more, then eat more. But eating well and exercising can't be worse for you than whatever you were doing before that got you to this point.
  • lynndsmith
    Options
    Very annoying hey! Just remember to take your measurements too! We As we watch our food we lose weight, as we exercise we gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So it may not be a bad thing after all :flowerforyou:
  • JaneanAriel
    JaneanAriel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You're comments really have helped. Sometimes, I get caught up in instant results and when I don't see them, I quit. Not this time, I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks Again.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Take measurements as well. it really helps to see inches come off. Also it is really important to eat your excercise calories every time.

Make sure you measure yourself. There have been MANY times where the scale didn't move and I was upset but then I measured myself and I lost inches on my hips and waist. It gives GREAT motivation!
  • pacecl
    pacecl Posts: 2
    Options
    The same thing happned to me this morning too. Also, can someone give me a couple of low sodium recipes?
  • ktswick
    Options
    Why do you say that its better to eat 50 calories over and never under? Just curious.

Thanks!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Why do you say that its better to eat 50 calories over and never under? Just curious.

Thanks!
    Your body needs calories to burn in order for you to lose weight. Otherwise it thinks you are starving and will hold on to the fat for a "rainy day" (that's the way I think of it and it helps me to realize what the body is doing). It will hold on to the fat it thinks you need in order to survive. aka you won't lose any weight! If you eat 50 calories over, your body has more calories to burn and likely you will burn those extra 50 calories in your daily activities anyway.
    That's my .02