does anyone use Body by vi

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...It is just a glorified meal replacement. for 90 calories you get 12g of soy protein. I would rather get a much cheaper whey protein powder. 100 calories for 25g of protein. And continue to take my vitamins and eat whole food.

I don't think it is worth the money. It tastes pretty good, but I have had much better and much cheaper meal replacements.
    I haven't tried them so can't comment on the taste, but what's supposed to be so "magical" about these shakes? I looked up the nutritional information on them:

Serving size: 2 scoops
    Calories: 90
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 7g (5g fiber)
    Protein: 12g (and it's soy protein at that)

Compared to ONE scoop of the whey protein shake I use:
    Calories: 140
    Fat: 2g
    Carbs: 9 (2g fiber)
    Protein: 26g

There are plenty of good whey protein shakes on the market with good macro compositions and I'm sure they're much cheaper than the "Body by Vi" stuff. The one I use (Body Fortress) is available at Walmart for $15.00 for a 2-pound tub, which yields 24 servings (at one scoop apiece). That comes out to about $0.62 per serving. I haven't priced the Vi stuff because I have no interest whatsoever in it, but what do those shakes cost by comparison?

Also - a 90-calorie meal replacement? Twice a day??? I guess that's great if you're a masochist or have a severe ED, but I'd be starving to death and eating cardboard boxes and any small animals that happened to wander into my path. I use protein shakes to supplement my protein intake from whole foods, not as meal replacements.

Starving yourself on overpriced shakes might result in some temporary weight loss - but it teaches you absolutely nothing about portion control or sensible/healthy eating. When you come off the shakes at some point and try to return to a "normal" way of eating, watch those pounds pile right back on!

As others have said, save your money - eat good, REAL foods at a reasonable caloric deficit, mix in a little exercise and lose weight the sensible way. Fad diets and "magic pills" are a dead end.
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use it and I like it. People b**** on these thread about how it is an "easy way out." Not really. I am getting the same amount of calories in that I would have anyways? I work my *kitten* off at the gym and at home. I'm doing the exact same thing as you. An "easy way out" in my opinion is taking a shake/pill or whatever it may be and still eating way over/under your calories and eating junk 24/7 and expecting it to make you lose weight.

If you do it just make sure you still hit your calorie goal, workout, and drink lots of water(:

Do what works for you. Don't bash something that is clearly working for others.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the product or even their prices, but I do know you can make your own healthy protein shakes for relatively cheap and you can tweak them endlessly until you find a recipe that you love. I think most of the hate on the boards for BBV is due to their marketing techniques.
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use it and I like it. People b**** on these thread about how it is an "easy way out." Not really. I am getting the same amount of calories in that I would have anyways? I work my *kitten* off at the gym and at home. I'm doing the exact same thing as you. An "easy way out" in my opinion is taking a shake/pill or whatever it may be and still eating way over/under your calories and eating junk 24/7 and expecting it to make you lose weight.

If you do it just make sure you still hit your calorie goal, workout, and drink lots of water(:

Do what works for you. Don't bash something that is clearly working for others.

Thank you!!
  • jlneifer
    jlneifer Posts: 18
    Options
    I am starting the shaks tomorrow..I am excited...they taste good and I think this will be a good start to me getting back to my diet!! good luck!
  • jshort152
    Options
    Don't buy it. It works great but it gets you addicted to that sugary taste so when you do go off it you gain your weight back, so you need to keep buying it. Go with a cheap protein powder and some low fat milk and those shakes will make you feel full while still supressing your sugary needs, try Bodyfortress protein from Walmart, it's about $15 for a tub and it'll last a good while. Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take thoughts from people who have used it. Those saying its completly useless, have most likely never tried it, or were not dedicated to it.

Ill start by saying, NO i do NOT sell the stuff.

Second, if you would like to contact me (not because i sell it, but because i have a blog & have posted about it) I can give you the link to my blog and you can read on it.

I started about 5 weeks ago and im just under losing 20 pounds. I am off my medication for crohns disease and have cut down my anxiety meds. I also have a lot less cronic pain. I recently started my daughter on the shakes also. She is 15 and has ADHD and Autism (Aspergers) as well as a heart condition. She has been on heart meds since she was 4 years old, and our goal is to have her medicine free, with the help of BBV by her 18th birthday. If it works that way for her, great, if not.. thats okay too, but knowing shes getting the amazing nutrition is enough for me. Its not JUST about losing weight.. (and they DO tell you that you will get much better results with exercise & calorie counting) but its about getting healthier. GREAT for picky eaters! =)
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Don't know anybody who uses it, I just know a bunch of people who sell it. None of whom have lost any real weight from it.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ...It is just a glorified meal replacement. for 90 calories you get 12g of soy protein. I would rather get a much cheaper whey protein powder. 100 calories for 25g of protein. And continue to take my vitamins and eat whole food.

I don't think it is worth the money. It tastes pretty good, but I have had much better and much cheaper meal replacements.
    I haven't tried them so can't comment on the taste, but what's supposed to be so "magical" about these shakes? I looked up the nutritional information on them:

Serving size: 2 scoops
    Calories: 90
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 7g (5g fiber)
    Protein: 12g (and it's soy protein at that)

Compared to ONE scoop of the whey protein shake I use:
    Calories: 140
    Fat: 2g
    Carbs: 9 (2g fiber)
    Protein: 26g

There are plenty of good whey protein shakes on the market with good macro compositions and I'm sure they're much cheaper than the "Body by Vi" stuff. The one I use (Body Fortress) is available at Walmart for $15.00 for a 2-pound tub, which yields 24 servings (at one scoop apiece). That comes out to about $0.62 per serving. I haven't priced the Vi stuff because I have no interest whatsoever in it, but what do those shakes cost by comparison?

I like this. The one I take is Isopure. I buy it online at bodybuilding.com. Right now it's 96$ for 7.5lbs but I bought it on sale for 60$. It also has a multi-vitamin worth 50% of daily intake.

Serving Size - 2Scoopfuls(62g)
    Calories - 220
    Calories From Fat - 10
    Total Fat - 1g
    Sodium - 320mg
    Total Carbohydrate - 3g
    Dietary Fiber - 2g
    Sugars - 0g
    Protein - 50g

It's not an MLM product and the nutrition makes sense, even if you only choose to take half a serving. I haven't tried Body By Vi but I guess I don't see the point when I have something that I like. I'd say do your research on products and product reviews online before you choose to buy any product.

Edit: I mix with almond milk rather than water for texture so it adds another 40 cals.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Don't know anybody who uses it, I just know a bunch of people who sell it. None of whom have lost any real weight from it.

compared to fake weight? :huh:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Also - a 90-calorie meal replacement? Twice a day??? I guess that's great if you're a masochist or have a severe ED, but I'd be starving to death and eating cardboard boxes and any small animals that happened to wander into my path. I use protein shakes to supplement my protein intake from whole foods, not as meal replacements.

Starving yourself on overpriced shakes might result in some temporary weight loss - but it teaches you absolutely nothing about portion control or sensible/healthy eating. When you come off the shakes at some point and try to return to a "normal" way of eating, watch those pounds pile right back on!

Ok... so the way it works is to ADD things to it? I throw mine into Almond Milk with a scoop of frozen berries, or 1% white milk with a teaspoon of Jell-O Fat Free Pudding Mix to give it a little milkshake taste if I wanna feel like a bad girl. I find it easier to take because it doesn't taste like disgustingness, sort of like your WalMart **** (HOW you can support a corporation like WalMart in good conscience is another rant entirely), but it's NOT about starving yourself... I add roughly 200-250 calories to each shake between my milk/soymilk/almond milk & fruits. So NO... it's NOT promoting EDs. If you have actually HAD an ED like me, you wouldn't say things like that.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had a friend GIVE me a 30 day supply to try - gotta admit i only used it one time. Now its been sitting on my counter for the past 3 months! LOL I think it tastes like crap, and I was absolutely starving the one day that I tried it. If you don't want to take the time to eat, or if you just don't enjoy the taste of food (or need to bulk up with extra calories) than this is probably a good option. Otherwise, there are plenty of better options out there.
    I spoke with my MD about it before I ever tried it and he was totally against it. He said that the shakes don't deliver the vitamins in the same manner that fresh food will and that you might as well drink water and take vitamin supplements if you plan on starving your body.
    On the flip side, I do have an old school chum who has been doing this for about a year and has lost about 100 lbs. I personally think she looks like she has aged 10 yrs - but that's just my opinion. Obviously I am not a fan of the stuff. I think that most people who count their calories, work out and change their lifestyle habits can have the same changes she has had without having to spend $$$ on a shake/vitamin program and hawk that same "program" to all their friends all the time.

PS _ I don't have any proof, but I think the fact that my MD said the shakes don't deliver nutrients properly and the fact that she looks old as hell now are probably related.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options

compared to fake weight? :huh:

Nobody more then 20 pounds, and nobody who kept it off long term. Real as in substantial.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/real?s=t | First Synonym.

As a fat guy I get coworkers trying to peddle this crap to me all the time, usually the same clowns who try to do other marketing schemes. I have my own damn shakes, had one today, it's in my diary, way better for you anyhow and takes less time. Your mileage may vary, but from looking at your 'blog' I'm not shocked to see that you make sure people mention you to your distributor.

Take that as you wish.
  • rlmadrid
    Options

Ok... so the way it works is to ADD things to it? I throw mine into Almond Milk with a scoop of frozen berries, or 1% white milk with a teaspoon of Jell-O Fat Free Pudding Mix to give it a little milkshake taste if I wanna feel like a bad girl. I find it easier to take because it doesn't taste like disgustingness, sort of like your WalMart **** (HOW you can support a corporation like WalMart in good conscience is another rant entirely), but it's NOT about starving yourself... I add roughly 200-250 calories to each shake between my milk/soymilk/almond milk & fruits. So NO... it's NOT promoting EDs. If you have actually HAD an ED like me, you wouldn't say things like that.

Not sure about your other issues with Walmart, but the shakes itself might not be terrible if you "ADD" stuff to them. Everyone is just giving opinions. I agree that protein shakes as a meal replacement is a bad bad idea. You adding fruit, milk, or Jello (yum!) to it helps a lot. I use them as a supplement for my meal, not a replacement.

I think the poster you quoted was just referring to the fact that replacing a full meal with a 90 calorie drink may not be healthy, not so much that the whole idea is a problem, just that some people may use it in dangerous ways.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I started about 5 weeks ago and im just under losing 20 pounds. I am off my medication for crohns disease and have cut down my anxiety meds. I also have a lot less cronic pain...
    It does all that? In just 5 weeks? Well, Hall-e-LUJAH! I'm thinking I might buy some of this stuff for a blind friend of mine...who knows, in just five short weeks he may have 20/20 vision again! :tongue:

C'mon people, let's keep it real...this stuff is just a protein powder, and a crappy one at that. It's not some life-changing miracle cure.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the Body by Vi shakes, but how it is different from making a smoothie at home with protein powder added?
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I don't know much about the Body by Vi shakes, but how it is different from making a smoothie at home with protein powder added?

It costs more :tongue:
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Delicious, nutritious, VERY affordable!!! I add fruits, yogurt, ff cream cheese, spinach, coffee, etc..... 100's of recipes or deleicious just as it is with milk or water!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As everybody has pointed out, the price is ridiculous. You would be much better off drinking a regular protein shake or something similar if that's what you're looking for. It's just another one of those gimmick 'weight loss' products out there.

As for a meal replacement, I always consider this a bad idea. It's along the lines with a 'fad diet' in most cases, because for /most/ people it is not realistic to drink shakes every day for the rest of your life. You're better off eating regular food and learning how to intake the proper vitamins and calories that way.
  • melanie3900
    melanie3900 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 using Body By Vi and have lost 4 lbs. I replace my breakfast and dinner with the shake, and either drink it plain (2 scoops + 8oz fat free milk) and sometimes I add the flavor packets. I eat my sensible lunch, and have a plenty of snacks throughout the day. I've yet to come across a place that tells you EXACTLY how to use the shake (i.e. the number of snacks to eat, how many calories your sensible meal should be, etc). I don't know if I'll continue once my 30 day supply is gone. I might venture out and try a different type of protein shake.
    All in all, the shake is very good, very easy to make (since I don't add anything extra), and I'm not starving.