I am the biggest idiot

Options
I haven't had the courage to weigh myself, because I KNOW it will be up several pounds. This is what happens when I don't log food for a while..

I just figured out that the lentils I've been eating (a friend from Ethiopia gave me leftovers from a party at her house) are ridiculously high calorie. I have really screwed myself. Thought I was smarter than this.

Replies

• Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Been there, done that, not worth it. Spend a week getting back on track, then get on the scale. I bet you'll surprise yourself. Just don't give up! If it were easy none of us would be here.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I agree. Do NOT give up. As I've said, I had that week where I got on the scale and seemed to have put back 5 of the 7 pounds I had lost. I was SO discouraged and felt like throwing in the towel. I stuck with it though, and with the support of this site and a little bit of kicking myself in the butt again, I'm back on track. You CAN do it to.

Sometimes the logging is tough to do all the time, particularly on the weekend. If not for having the app on my phone, I'm not sure how good I would be. I have found it really makes a difference though. I'm not sure how long I'll do it for, but for now and until I get a good rhythm and understanding of what adds up to what, I believe it has made the difference to my progress.

BTW - if lentils is what you are going over on calories with, I REALLY think you should cut yourself a break ! Let's focus on all the great nutrients you are getting in there. And don't think I haven't noticed the exercise you've been doing :-)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    don't be too hard on yourself, there are plenty of bigger idiots on here than you :wink:
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate it when you are eating something good for you and it is good for you, just not low calorie. Sometimes its the D'oh moment but like someone else said, think of the great nutrients you got out of it!
  • stacierusk
    Options
    I agree. Do NOT give up. As I've said, I had that week where I got on the scale and seemed to have put back 5 of the 7 pounds I had lost. I was SO discouraged and felt like throwing in the towel. I stuck with it though, and with the support of this site and a little bit of kicking myself in the butt again, I'm back on track. You CAN do it to.

Sometimes the logging is tough to do all the time, particularly on the weekend. If not for having the app on my phone, I'm not sure how good I would be. I have found it really makes a difference though. I'm not sure how long I'll do it for, but for now and until I get a good rhythm and understanding of what adds up to what, I believe it has made the difference to my progress.

BTW - if lentils is what you are going over on calories with, I REALLY think you should cut yourself a break ! Let's focus on all the great nutrients you are getting in there. And don't think I haven't noticed the exercise you've been doing :-)

Not giving up. Just irritated with myself. I allowed myself some fried chicken strips the other day, which I wouldn't have done had I been aware just how many calories were in those lentils I ate for lunch.

Back to the grindstone. Karate tonight!
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options

Not giving up. Just irritated with myself. I allowed myself some fried chicken strips the other day, which I wouldn't have done had I been aware just how many calories were in those lentils I ate for lunch.

Back to the grindstone. Karate tonight!

YAY KARATE !!!! :-))) OSU !

(p.s. I do get what you're saying though. I know you are focused though and will bounce right back!)
  • waynekp1981
    Options
    The impression that I get from your post, is that it seems like you almost feel like...because you had one bad day, or one bad week, its all over. Your comment, "I have really screwed myself" makes it seem almost like you've caused some serious and irreparable damage. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If you were on a road trip to go camping, or to a myfitnesspal convention, or who knows where...if you got off the highway and made a wrong turn, it doesn't mean that you'll never make it to your destination, it just means that you'll take an extra bit of time to get there.

At this point, just put your head down, focus on the goal that you're trying to achieve, and make the decisions that you need to make to get you where you want to go. What happened yesterday is over, you can't change it, don't worry about it.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hang in there, hun. Don't beat yourself up. If all of us knew all the right answers, and exactly the right choices to make all the time, we wouldn't have MFP memberships! :)
    Don't feel bad. Let go of what's behind you and reach forward towards what's ahead. ;-)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Whats added to the lentils that makes them high in calories?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    get over it.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mantra when I slip is "Do the next right thing!"
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's in the past now. Get back to doing the basics well. Log your food. Get to Karate class. OSU!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I mean, unless you ate like 43 lbs of them, I imagine you can reverse the damage pretty quickly. It's not the end of the world.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Are you getting anxious about eating some leftover Lentils or am I missing something?
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're being way too hard on yourself, you can do it, and don't give up!!!
    Lentils?? Geez, I was expecting you to say hot fudge cake or something!! Big diffence between underestimating calories, and knowingly overeating (my problem
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It has been three years since the thread was started. I hope the OP kept going and had sucess.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1 started on MFP about 2 years ago. logged in, logged my food and exercise, dropped 55 lbs. to my goal... and then like a TRUE idiot decided that I had this weight thing under control and gained 70 back.
    YOU are not an idiot. You were eating a high nutrient food that had a few more calories than you needed, not a 5 pounds bag of M&Ms.
    Now get in the kitchen and figure out how to adapt that delicious lentil recipe into something you can enjoy more often. Or measure how many calories you need to burn to offset an occasional indulgence. Just don't indulge EVERY day.
    Sign me "back on track and wiser for it".