Calorie confusion!

Options
Hello!!

My normal daily suggested calorie intake per fitness pal is supposed to be 1200.
I have been exercising a lot lately. After adding my exercise activity for the day, my fitness pal adds those calories to the "remaining" column. For example, I start with 1200 and then burn 550 calories during a workout. It then says I can have 1750 calories for the day. Am I really supposed to be eating all those extra calories? Or am I still supposed to eat only 1200???

Any help with this would be awesome!

BB

Replies

• PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. As for me, I say eat some of them back but you don’t need to worry about eating them ALL. Also, keep in mind that everything on here is generalized and you could be ingesting more or less (probably more) calories that MFP tells you that you ate, and in your workouts you could be burning more or fewer (typically fewer) calories than MFP tells you that you burned… just a thought.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of mixed opinions on this subject. As for me, I say eat some of them back but you don’t need to worry about eating them ALL. Also, keep in mind that everything on here is generalized and you could be ingesting more or less (probably more) calories that MFP tells you that you ate, and in your workouts you could be burning more or fewer (typically fewer) calories than MFP tells you that you burned… just a thought.

I agree with Philly here, even with your stats entered here, even if you use a $500 Heart Rate monitor, none of this is exact. Your exercise fluctuates throughout the week, you eat a little more or a little less than you realize, always try to leave yourself some spare change when it comes to calories it does make a difference
  • bran23rn
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • MrsBurke
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!! Thank you for posting this question!! :smile:
  • MeMaybe
    MeMaybe Posts: 15
    Options
    I treat the 'earned' calories as buffer zone. I also have a 1200cal daily intake goal. If I exercise and burn say 500cal then I'll still aim for 1200, but should I go over that it's fine as long as I'm still within the net calories.

You'll still be loosing if you do no exercise and eat 1200 cal a day as the recommended cal intake for women is 1500-2000. However, the exercise is really important to keep your metabolism going and it'll also shift the weight quicker and tone you up.

Hope that helps.
    x
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The 1200 is already a caloric deficit. The exercise calories are beyond that deficit. Therefore, an even bigger deficit. Eating your exercise calories back gives you strength for the day that your body needs and because you're already in a deficit, you'll still lose weight.

That said, I very highly recommend you read this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=in+place+road+map

1200 cal is so low.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Pretty much agreeing with what's been posted here- eat back some, but don't get roped into eating all your calories. If you're a little low, big whoop.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back, but you can. That is because the 1200 calories MFP gave you created a deficit to lose a certain number of pounds per week. If you workout, that deficit will increase. To maintain the weight loss set by MFP, you can eat those calories back and lose the number of pounds per week originally planned.

KIND OF...

It's not an exact science. The truth is some weeks you will lose, some weeks you will gain, some weeks you will maintain, even when doing the exact same thing.

But here is how the deficit works on MFP. Let's say you want to lose 1 pound per week. To do this, you must save 3500 calories per week or 500 calories per day. So, assuming your body needs 1700 calories to maintain it's current weight, if you eat 1200 calories per day, you are saving the 500 calories you need and will lose an average of 1 pound per week.

However, if you workout and burn 500 calories per day. You are now saving 1000 calories per day or 7000 calories per week. You don't need to do this to lose 1 pound per week. So, you can eat back those 500 calories you burned, thereby leaving you with a 500 calorie deficit for the day.

One thing to keep in mind is that calories burned often tends to be overestimated. Using a heart rate monitor will get you closest to the correct amount burned. Using MFP or other websites, or the number on a machine will often be an overestimate. This is why many people don't eat back 100% of their calories burned.

Other times people will save some of the calories burned for a big day--for example, you have a wedding on Saturday, so you don't eat back your calories M-F, but then eat extra on Saturday. MFP isn't set up for this, but if you keep track on your own, it works.

Again, none of this is an exact science. You should try different things and do what works best for you. I eat back my exercise calories and that has worked for me. Others say it doesn't work for them. Whatever you choose to do, you should do it for at least a month, before deciding whether it works or not. It takes your body a while to adjust.

And remember, a gain every once in a while doesn't mean it isn't working. A gain is totally normal.