GPS reception: Dedicated watch vs phone

Options
Hi:

OK - my question first: Has anyone out there done a comparison between an Android (or Apple) phone's GPS and the watch-based GPS receivers? How do they compare?

I use my Android-based phone (an HTC Incredible) to track my running distance (Endomondo), heartrate (Zephyr HRM) & calories (MFP!!!).

Over time & troubleshooting, I've discovered that the GPS/aGPS receiver in my phone isn't up to the task of tracking my location whilst working-out... it's inaccurate, it tends to seize-up... it's just not that great. Now, I live in (very) upstate New York (think Canada), & in the middle of nowhere, so satellite telemetry my be in issue, and as far as aGPS, cellphone coverage isn't great here, either.

So, I have on old Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver that I've been using instead of the phone's GPS - it works much better... I clip it to the waistband of my shorts, and away I go. Doesn't seize the phone...and is pretty-darned accurate... life is pretty good there.

The MOTOACTIV, Polar and Garmin watches seem very nice, but if the GPS receiver sensitivity in these devices are on-par with the phones, than they just wouldn't work in my application.

Off the subject, I can't use my phone for music whilst working-out, either. I broke the audio jack (it's flimsy!) and needed to resort to a Bluetooth headset. I've discovered that the phone can't deal with a Bluetooth HRM, GPS & headsets all-at-once. Oh well, so I now also clip an MP3 player to my waist. seems like 2 Bluetooth devices at a time is about it.

Sooo, does anybody use one of these GPS-enabled exercise watches, that lives in a "GPS-challenged area"??? How does it perform????

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Garmin GPS is very accurate; much better than the phones. I don't know anything about satellite coverage in your area.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good questions. OK I have used and Iphone/Andriod/Nike+ watch

I prefer the Iphone GPS over the Android. But I did find that when I went into the settings of my Android and turned on the "Use Wireless networks" I did get a better location.

I now run with a Nike+ watch and really enjoy having my pace/distance info at the glance of my wrist and not waiting on a 1/4 audio prompt. I also found that my pace is more consistent as well.
  • formbuddy
    Options
    As long as you have a clear line of sight to the sky (i.e. no tall buildings, no dense trees), GPS reception should be fine. Dedicated GPS watches should be much better than the GPS chip in your phone. I am currently using endomondo as well, and have just ordered the Garmin Forerunner 410. Eagerly waiting to receive it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't think satellite coverage is the problem (I don't live that far from you - I'm near Montreal). Sat coverage seems to be really good here.

I have heard a lot of people being dissatisfied with gps on their phone though.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This link will give you the satellite coverage for your location. http://www.navcomtech.com/Support/Tools/satellitepredictor/main.cfm
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I use my HTC Thunderbolt to track my bicycle rides and it works just fine. The GPS antenna (and 4G antenna in my case) are located on the back cover of the phone.

I just looked up the Incredible and it has the same antenna setup with the GPS antenna in the back cover. Try taking the back cover off and checking the contacts making sure:
    1. That they are making solid contact (you can gently adjust them with a small screwdriver), and
    2. That they are free of corrosion and contamination (best way to clean them is gently with a pencil eraser).

If the antenna is not connected properly, your GPS performance will be horrible.

If you have a cheap extended-capacity battery, some of them were built without the GPS antenna.
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike+ watch. In the box it also has a shoe sensor. The shoe sensor connects to iPhone/iPod apps I believe and also the watch. When you are indoors on a treadmill, the sensor can track your speed. When coupled with the watch, it will compare it to time. You can upload all this info to computer and it keeps track and gives you graphical way of viewing your progress.
  • mikesalvey
    mikesalvey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used both the Nike+ GPS app on my Android (HTC Sensation 4G) and I also purchased the Nike+ GPS Sportwatch this summer. I can definitely say that the watch is more accurate. The phone's GPS had problems keeping a straight line, while the watch was perfect, even showed exactly where I crossed the streets.

With that said, I will say that the watch isn't "one size fits all" like the package says (or is is "one size fits most"?). Anyways, If you have a wrist bigger than 8 inches, it will be a tight fit.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto. Like, right downtown Toronto. About as downtown as one can live. I'm utterly surrounded by tall buildings at the start of all my runs. So I *always* have issues with GPS reception...it's a bugger! I started using my Android phone (HTC Desire) with RunKeeper, but it would often take >5 minutes to find satellites (and that was longer than my warmup walk!). I've since switched to a Garmine Forerunner 305 and it's a world of difference. I still sometimes have to wait for signal, but it's on the order of 1-2 minutes at most.

Also, a tip: if you get a GPS watch, set it outside in clear view of the sky (I set mine on my balcony, which is covered, but it works most of the time) for a few minutes before you head out. By the time you're ready to go, it'll have latched on to the signal most of the time. For me, I have to walk back inside through my apartment, and it loses signal quite easily once inside, but it catches it quicker when I'm back outside again.

Edited to add: I got my Garmin with the option heart rate monitor for a small extra fee. I know you said you already have one, but just thought it might be relevant. :)
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    alot of that is going to be phone based along with weather/LOS issues for you. I use my phone (Evo LTE) but didn't want to keep dragging it around (possiblity of damage) so I switched to using my samsung dart (no cell just gps turned on) and they both track consistantly for me.

try downloading a program called faster fix from the play store, it might help you get and keep a location fix better while running.

or ... as an alt.

garmin forerunner got good reviews, never used one, but that combined with a ipod shuffle is minimal weight to carry around on a run.
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am using Fitbit which integrates with MFP. It tracks hills, steps, and walk/waddle/jog (I am not a runner). It works self contained and uploads automatically like a bluetooth device when I get near my base computer. http://fitbit.com

My goal is 1,500 miles (4.11 a day usually do 5) in a year 10,000 push-ups a year (30 a day) and 10 flights of stairs or hills a day.

Apparently this works on the same technology as Sony Wi games. I have checked it in steps against a known track and it seems very accurate. As a bonus it also picks up all your running around on errands and office/home steps.

I haven't tried any of the GPS stuff, I have an HTC One S, but don't use it for tracking.

Hope this helps. The FitBit is just too easy and you just clip to your shirt and go.

Jon Hanson
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    iPhone 4s with Endomondo Pro app is my primary, but I do have a Timex Ironman Bodylink watch to help me with pacing and heart rate monitoring. They tend to be a little bit different, with the watch lagging behind the phone by as much as a quarter mile on runs over 10 miles. Phone with Endo has been very accurate.

I started off using Nike Plus, didn't like it much at all.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good questions. OK I have used and Iphone/Andriod/Nike+ watch

I prefer the Iphone GPS over the Android. But I did find that when I went into the settings of my Android and turned on the "Use Wireless networks" I did get a better location.

I now run with a Nike+ watch and really enjoy having my pace/distance info at the glance of my wrist and not waiting on a 1/4 audio prompt. I also found that my pace is more consistent as well.

Do you have any "issues" with GPS telemetry pick-up with any of these devices? I guess what I'll looking for, is someone to say "Yep, I know that live in a marginal satellite reception area, & have noticed the receiver on the (insert device here) seems to work the best".
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    GPS with the Nike+ Sportwatch is not necessary especially if you use the shoe sensor. They include it in the package specifically for instances where GPS is unavailable (read: indoors, etc.)
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies, folks - this is helpful.

I've decided that the problems that I've been having with satellite telemetry are related to my phone's GPS - it STINKS!! I tried all of of the "GPS helper apps" that I could find, without joy.

Lately I've been using an external bluetooth GPS receiver that I've had for years, clipped to my shorts, and telemetry has since been perfect. Reading other posts in these and other forums, I have a feeling that GPS chips in phones can be a crap-shoot, either you get a good one, or (like mine) you get a dog.

I carry around a lot of technology with me when I run... my phone (using Endomondo pro), external bluetooth GPS, Heartrate monitor strapped to my chest, a Creative Zen mp3 - it's a bit ridiculous, you know?

Oh well, I do like to compare my workouts, I guess that's the price one pays!