Feeling Stuffed

I know I am supposed to eat back calories from exercise, but when I do, I feel so full and not sure this is good. I think I eat a pretty well rounded menu but at the end of the day, I'm under my calories for the day. I have tried to eat more, but honestly, I feel way to full and sometimes miserable after eating more. Anyone have any suggestions that may help? Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    You do not have to eat back your workout calories.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    I do the same thing sometimes. I workout so much so I can have my bowl of fruit and cottage cheese at night then I still have alot calories left after that. So I eat something else and still have calories left. I never eat all my calories back. I think I need to stop working out so long.:ohwell:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Don't stress about eating every single calorie - but I see that you are working on a 1200/day calorie limit which is pretty low, so I'd suggest that you don't stray too far underneath that as an everyday thing.

I only had a quick glance at your diary, but it looks like you're eating pretty well, but you can always do things like add a little bit of olive oil to salads or veggies, nuts to snacks, avocado to just about everything, little bit of cheese to you meals just to get in a few extra cals.

The main risk I see from under-eating is that you may not be getting enough good nutrition to keep you healthy - and personally I don't think that vitamins replace the goodness you get from real food.

To cynthi: You're correct, no one HAS to do anything. But, if you're using MFP to calculate how much you should be eating, then your recommended daily total will be made up of your calorie allowance plus exercise calories. If you choose to only use part of their recommendation, that's entirely your choice, but it is useful to understand what you are doing and why.
  • karencogs
    karencogs Posts: 50 Member
    You do not have to eat back your workout calories.
    I also Agree..if hungry just eat something small..:)
  • Is it okay to eat some of the calories that are added back onto your daily intake after you exercise? I didn't know that I am trying to lose weight but a few people have told me that if I eat the calories that I'm alotted after exercising that I'm just eating the calories that I've burned off so I'm confused and didn't know it was ok to do that?? I'm not sure so if I'm hungry after I exercise and I still have previous calories left in the day I've just been eating a small snack or drinking a glass of milk.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Is it okay to eat some of the calories that are added back onto your daily intake after you exercise? I didn't know that I am trying to lose weight but a few people have told me that if I eat the calories that I'm alotted after exercising that I'm just eating the calories that I've burned off so I'm confused and didn't know it was ok to do that?? I'm not sure so if I'm hungry after I exercise and I still have previous calories left in the day I've just been eating a small snack or drinking a glass of milk.

It depends on your activity and food choices. There is no correct one size fits all answer. If you want to eat your calories back just make sure you eat good foods. I post all the time about this, I see tons of diaries with people insisting on eating them all back and then see they are doing it with fast food or ice cream. You can't go wrong with healthy foods. I have deleted people for telling me I eat too little when all I see is are 3000 calories of fast food in their diaries every day.

Listen to your body. If you are hungry you need to eat. Don't starve or stuff yourself. You are the only one who can figure out a balance right for you. Seriously though, there are tons of food choices available that you can't eat as much as you want. My diary may not always have the most calories but my plates are full each time I eat.