Weird 'Sped Up' Feeling

I started logging foods and working out on 7/28, so this is my 3rd week. I've averaged a net calorie intake of 1750 - 2100 since I started, depending on activity level. The first week, I lost 4 pounds. I won't weigh again til around the first of September but have been checking measurements. I've lost 3 inches in my hips, 1 in the chest, 1/2 in the waist, so I know I'm progressing.

The last week or so, today especially, I feel 'sped up.' I feel jittery, I feel my heart beating all over my body and it seems like it beats a little faster at rest now. I also feel hot, like I'm burning on the inside, like a furnace! Last night I slept off and on and feel fairly rested today, but a lot of the time I was in bed, I was just over the edge of sleep and it was more like I was laying there burning, feeling my heart beat. It is the weirdest feeling; it almost feels like a panic attack or severe caffeine jitters but I don't feel anxious and I've actually cut my caffeine. I get even hotter when I eat, especially breakfast. My diary is closed but since 7/28, I have eaten either All-Bran or oatmeal for breakfast everyday with some type of berries.

My question: is this what happens when your metabolism gets going, so to speak? Or should I just go to my doctor?

I promise I'm not asking for medical advice on a diet forum, I just am wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything like this before I take an afternoon off work to go to the doctor for, potentially, nothing.

I am female, 33 years old. '5,6" starting weight of 216.6 pounds.

Replies

• cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    I don't know if this is relevant, but when you lose weight you burn fat, and release anything that may be stored in the fat cells that are being emptied..

and there are conflicting reports on this but some reports say caffeine is fat soluble.. so you could be releasing caffeine into your system by weight loss.

mostly im curious to see what anyone else might have to say about it though
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Thank you that is interesting; I have been a heavy coffee drinker for years, so if it is stored in fat, that could make sense.
  • NCchar130
    Anybody else with any thoughts??
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    I felt fantastic for the first 3 months or so but the effect, Unfortunatly, wore off. Never felt jittery though just more awake and alive if that makes sense.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Blood sugar maybe?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    caffine??
  • NCchar130
  • NCchar130
    Maybe i will just go to my doctor, heh.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    When I was looking into detoxing before, I read a lot about toxins being stored in fat cells and that some people may have had issues with weight because of this. Then I read that burning fat releases what is stored in those cells, and its possible that any toxins in the cells may be floating around in ur body waiting to be expelled. Not totally sure, but it was an interesting read.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Sounds like the hot flushes I get with the menopause. Perhaps you should see a doctor as you're rather young for it to be that?
  • ks33182
    ks33182 Posts: 41 Member
    Not sure if you have been to a doc or something, but I sometimes get that feeling too, it mainly will start at night for me... I notice I feel it after a hard workout sometimes...I still haven't figured out what to do about it beside just drink water and relax. Could be your hormones getting used to you being active? let us know how it goes.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Yea, I don't know, but I'm curious as to what you find out if you go to the doctor because I think it's interesting. If it is true that the caffeine or toxins are being released into your body when the fat cells shrink, then wouldn't drinking tons of water get rid of that? I would think it would. How much water do you drink?
  • cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    Yea, I don't know, but I'm curious as to what you find out if you go to the doctor because I think it's interesting. If it is true that the caffeine or toxins are being released into your body when the fat cells shrink, then wouldn't drinking tons of water get rid of that? I would think it would. How much water do you drink?
    water just flushes things around the system. they still need to be metabolized in order to process them out of the system..
  • Sounds diet related ... low vitamin B12 levels and hypoglycemia have these symptoms. Get a checkup.