Hypocritical Soccer Mom! (and college student!)

Options
tikafly
tikafly Posts: 184 Member
Of course, I decided to lose weight for the typical reasons: look better, feel better, be healthier etc.

However, what drives me most is my obligation to my children to live healthily. Additionally, I felt like such a hypocrite being one of the fattest moms at the soccer field, then pushing my daughter to try harder in competitive soccer and do her very best. I was giving her advice on fitness on how to prevent cramps and build endurance etc. (mind you, she's only 8 years old, but she's a natural athlete) I couldn't help but feel that I wasn't qualified to give her this advice even though I went through the same things in cheerleading many, many years ago. I teach my children about healthy choices, yet I do not make those same choices for myself. You know, the whole "do as I say, not as I do" situation. It just felt wrong. I do not want to be a hypocrite anymore.

I'm a married 30-something mom to two and full-time college student. I also have over 100lbs to lose. College means that I sit at my computer a BUNCH throughout the day, and my health has suffered for it. I am seeing how far I can get without paying for a gym membership because I'm reasonably frugal. I've taken up walking (eventually running) and bicycling. Plus, we try to go out and practice soccer as a family once or twice a week. I've already made a few great friends at MFP, but the more the merrier if you can relate and would like to add me.

Best wishes to all on your journeys.

Tika

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar, though my daughter is only a couple months old. Same motivation, though (I joined MFP shortly after finding out my wife was pregnant).
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Are you going online? You college should have a gym that you pay for with fees.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your college have a gym that you can use? Mine did - open every day from 530AM to 11PM. Included in the cost of tuition.
  • tikafly
    Options
    I take most of my classes online because my college is nearly an hour drive from my house. It just wouldn't be prudent to join that gym, too far plus a $2 toll.

I am not fretting about no gym membership. I like the challenge of getting creative with my exercise, plus I love the outdoors. I live in Florida, so the weather is nice (albeit hot) almost year-round. I just have to get out early during the hotter months, which isn't a problem.
  • momma_eck
    Options
    Hello...
    I am in the exact same boat..although I am a 40 something w/ 3 boys and work full time. I sit at my computer most days and I have about 75lbs to lose. I have these boys who are amazing athletes--they just get it. I am told all the time what great skills they have and how awesome they do on the field..Yet I am the fat mom in the stands. I joked one time that they get their skills from their mother and I thought the guy was going to choke.:laugh: (sort of wish he would have). Ok not that mean..but still.

So HONEY I am with you..anything I can do to help motivate you and you me.. I am in! My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary in 17 weeks. I would love to be 17lbs smaller.. I know I won't get into my wedding dress. But I am determined to slip into something better than my fat jeans for a trip to Mexico!

I will look for you to hold me and your accountable..sound good?
    Michelle
  • tikafly
    Options
    I would love that Michelle! LOL I can so relate to being the "fat mom in the stands." Hugs!

P.S. You would look silly in a wedding dress in Mexico anyhow ;)
  • momma_eck
    Options
    You are right a wedding dress in Mexico would be silly...but would love to not wear a mummu...either! LOL I just sent a friend request!
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in for the support! Let's do this!

I want to lose 20 pounds by Christmas. Been trying since March and the scale has not moved a bit! Very frustrated. Having my thyroid and hormones checked soon, I think. I have never had this problem before!
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!
  • ouimouton
    ouimouton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I, too, am in my 30s and a mama. My oldest is out on the soccer field, swimming, and so on--and I feel like an unfit fatty on the sidelines. I also sit all day long--totally know what you're going through! Good luck in your journey, I just started mine (again!).
  • joycebrett
    joycebrett Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    oooh i wanna support yall too! I am also the "fat mom" in the stands and in fact until this Spring I was the fat coach! I have 2 boys heavily involved in sports and need to lose over 100lbs too! Can i join your support team??
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am the youth coordinator at our soccer club and so am responsible not only for my own two boys but 100 other kids and their families. I get where you are coming from as I feel it too! It's hard. Also, my boys are very fit and toned and my boyfriend is the soccer coach ...
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this quite a bit. My oldest daughter is starting high school and she's wild about volleyball. Today in fact is second day of try outs. Same thing... I have been doing what I can to encourage her, push her to do her best... all the while... WTH am I doing??? Grant it... she has gotten herself in a lot better shape than she was at the beginning of the summer... me too, but I wish I hadn't let it get to this point.

The added accountability of teaching our kids... I know it's motivating me right now. I wish I had gotten on to this mindset when my oldest daughter was 8... but never too late... and she's 14 now... she's looking great... I'm well... a work in progress, but I'll get there and you can too!

Yes... do it NOW and don't wait until she's heading into HS... it only gets that much more demanding with sports... my daughter has dedicated this summer to conditioning camps... and training... and her hard work SHOWS! Now... to keep up!

I get creative too in the gym department. I have to admit... several workout DVD's are so much better than they used to be. I've gotten some at a used DVD place... I love walking too... there's always jumping jacks :-O

Keep up the good work!
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have a 14 yo who plays softball and volleyball; she used to run track and play basketball, too, but now that she's a freshman in high school, seasons are starting to conflict more. She is fit and trim, and I'm tired of being the fat mom in the stands =( When shopping with her, I wonder what people think...like, how can such a pretty, petite girl be this woman's child? I hate the feeling. So, time for change! Let's do it!

Add me if you like!

Angie
  • tikafly
    Options
    Forgive me, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the outpour of support. I will work on getting you all added. I never thought about how I should do this now versus when the kids are older - thank you for that insight.

@AshinAms - I have seen how hard youth soccer coordinators work. You must be pretty awesome! My husband is naturally fit, just like my daughter, and loves to coach the little ones ages 5-6. He only has one more season to coach before my son moves onto better training opportunities. I assume people wonder how my husband could have such a fatty wife (he doesn't work out or eat very well, but it doesn't show). Soccer is an amazing sport; I wish I had discovered it as a child.

@afrazier128 - I wonder the same thing when out with my husband and kids. They are all so fit and I'm the odd-ball.

@rsellersCST - Jumping jacks! My daughter does them at practice as a consequence for not doing so well, and I have completely disassociated myself. I could do jumping jacks darn it! Duh!
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can relate. My daughter does ballet, and she has to be in ballet classes 5+ hours a week, and stretches every day to increase flexibility. And here I am sitting on the sofa reminding her to stretch!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yep I can relate too!

My daughter just turned 9 last week, and I'm trying to keep per active so she doesn't end up a fat couch potato like me. She gained 22 lbs in the past year. :noway: She loves to swim, but we haven't tried the team yet. The coach even asked if she wanted to join but we had issues with teh schedule. Last year I had her in soccer but she didn't like it, especially in spring because she was the only girl. Now she's doing cross country and to try to help and encourage her, I've started running a bit on my own. even got the fancy shoes. it's going pretty well, and I hope she sticks with it. She doesn't have the endurance, heck neither do I... patience is a virtue, right?!?
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

@afrazier128 - I wonder the same thing when out with my husband and kids. They are all so fit and I'm the odd-ball.

I don't see an oddball. I see a beautiful lady working to better herself. You are amazing and worth all the effort it will take to do what you want to do! We do so much for others, we sometimes forget we are worth just as much as they are! {{{hugs}}}