Losing more than estimated amount weekly

My goals are 1,200 calories daily and for my height and weight MFP has estimated I will be losing 2 pounds a week.
I ate 1,200 calories the past two days and have already lost two pounds ( a little over two actually).

Is this right? Any info on this?

And I started the weight loss journey in January, so it's not like my first week I lose a lot and get rid of all the toxins or whatever.

Just curious, not complaining! :)

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    You should think of it over the long term, not day by day. Weight can fluctuate by a few pounds depending on different factors. You can't expect to lose in a perfect linear fashion - exactly 2 pounds at the end of each week. Maybe you will lose 4 pounds this week and none next week.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Weight loss happens in starts and stops. Unless your energy level is dropping along with the poundage I wouldn't worry about it too much. And the estimated weight loss is based on an entire population, not individuals.

I'm in maintenance (can't count calories anymore - doesn't work very well in maintenance - what I put in my mouth makes more difference) and I weigh daily. I watch the scale go up and down between 109 and 114 depending on what I have eaten (high-carb makes my body suck up water and high-fat makes me have to eat A LOT to keep from dropping too much - I'm fat adapted and burn through fat like crazy) and how busy I am (I don't actually do any real structured exercise).

I can gain 1.5% bf on my scale literally over a weekend (eating high-carb, not high-fat). I don't put much into the number, though. (gaining water can make the bf% drop and losing water can make the bf% go up) AND eating too little while doing too much exercise can make the body start stripping down muscle mass (you'll lose weight but not in a "good way") while holding onto fat.

As long as that loss was body fat...YOU GO!!! (I was at a very healthy 120lbs when I started Primal Blueprint and I dropped 7lbs in 6 weeks - I was told this was impossible. I had actually just spent 6 months losing 10lbs following the low-fat, low-calorie, "healthy" whole grain Standard American Diet. And I actually dropped more water and really dropped the body fat!!
  • cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    2 lbs is a quart of water.
    if you cut your salt intake down, that can account for less water retention and water weight loss.
    if you have more caffeine it can dehydrate you and have the same effect.

if you keep losing a pound a day for the whole week, start to wonder.
    for 2 days, don't sweat it and don't be surprised if the weight loss flattens out for a couple days
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,171 Member
    It varies. I am on the 1200 calorie a day and 2 weeks ago I lost a half pound. This past week. I lost 3 pounds. It evens out. :)