got too ripe bananas: what should I make with them?

Options

Replies

• KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    oatmeal

banana bread

banana bread protein pancakes
    these were awesome (http://www.pbfingers.com/2011/09/16/banana-bread-protein-pancakes/)

face mask

hair mask

freeze them, food processor, becomes banana soft serve

baby food

smoothie

subsitute for other liquids in cake/cookies

...i eat too many bananas...
  • toffeewaffle
    toffeewaffle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Chocolate banana smoothie.

Lactose fat-free chocolate milk. Silk Almond has one that's like 90-100 cals.

Bananas

Blend together

Yummie smoothie
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Low fat banana cake

150g plain flour
    70g self raising flour
    130g caster sugar (or normal )
    4teaspoons of Splenda or similar sweetener
    1 1/2 tea spoons of baking powder
    2 medium eggs
    140g Olive speed (light) melted or similar margarine suitable for cooking.
    2bananas chopped/mashed

Pre heat your oven to gas mark2-3 or 160-170 degrees

Sieve the flour, sugar, sweetener &baking powder in to a large mixing bowl. Add chopped bananas and mix well

Then melt the olive spread in a separate container- I usually do this on the defrost setting on the microwave then allow to slightly cool

Create a well hole in the middle of the cake mixture in the mixing bowl and pour in your 2 eggs and melted olive spread & continue to mix well until has a good consistency.

Grease a loaf Tin or cake tin (I always use a loose bottom one) with light olive spread.

Pour in the cake mixture and sprinkle on a little sugar on top.

Then place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for approx 1hour dependant on tin used and efficiency of the oven.

Use a knife to do the skewer test to ensure the cake is cooked though.

Remove from oven and allow to g
    Cool t
    For 10-15mins before removing from tin.

Place on serving plate and sprinkle a pinch of sugar hon top.

Optional things to add before baking 1teaspoon of mixed spice.

40g of chopped almonds or walnuts.

40g raisins

Mixture can also be poured in to muffin cases to make yummy muffins ideal to have on a plate or in a basket if you have guests.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1) banana bread
    2) banana -oat muffins
    3) peel 'em, place in Ziploc bag and freeze them for smoothies

Since I have not been baking much, I have been doing #3 every time my bananas start to get a little too ripe.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread. :-)

I use the Better Homes and Gardens recipe, but use all whole wheat flour, brown sugar, canola oil and add a cup of dark chocolate chips. It's always a huge hit. You can also add in some peanut butter or nuts if you like. I use two bananas per loaf.

I do this, but use 4 bananas and leave out the sugar entirely!
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would mix them with an atkins.....although that seems to fly in the face of no carbs....tee hee.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would always make Banana Bread and eat it myself... now living this new lifestyle... I make it for other folks... they can still enjoy it and I have the satisfaction of making it.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brown spotty bananas, they're the best! I just mash mine up and mix it with a tablespoon or two of natural peanut butter for a snack. YUM!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    SMOOTHIE!!! I always make a smoothie with excess / over ripe fruit :0)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Smoothie! Or, stick them in the freezer and make banana bread out of them :)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Any time my bananas get soft and brown, I break them in half and throw them in a ziplock baggie and freeze them. They are perfect to add into a protein smoothie.

Also brown bananas have a chemical in them that fights off cancer...so never throw them out! :D
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Banana waffles! Mash a banana and mix it with an egg and a large tablespoon buckwheat flour. They're great for breakfast with a topping of plain greek yoghurt and a bit of fresh fruit.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I saw a post on Facebook where they sliced bananas, added a little smear of peanut butter or nutella, layered another slice on top so they make little sandwiches, and freeze for a delicious frozen treat.

I tried it myself and it's really yummy, although right out of the freezer was a little too cold and I got brain freeze on the first bite. Once I let them thaw a bit, they were perfect.

^^^ sounds too good !!!
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I usually freeze them and eat them as 'ice cream' using a food processor. But here it's full of yummy recipies! :love: Thanks for sharing!
  • melodylyn73
    melodylyn73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have lots of frozen bananas to use up.Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    if you can't find something you really want right now, peel them and freeze them! They make good breads and stuff later
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME, but only uses 1 banana... lean body lifestyles baked banana oatmeal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzVGygvFRA4
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Give them to pigs or chickens to turn into food ?
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I just made banana bread with seriously over ripe bananas, leaving out almost all of the the sugar and substituting a mix of oatmeal and almonds turned into meal in the food processor for white flour. It was moist and amazing and filling.