Carbs vs Protein Vs Calories

Options
Alrighty then, this little detail has been confusing me loads.

I downloaded the MFP app on my IPAD and it has a pie chart showing the total carbs, fats and protiens I've consumed.

No matter how low my calories are, no matter what I eat, my carbs are always high. I could always have about 500 calories left over and my carbs are still ridiculously high. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, I know it's cals in and cals out but a lot of people say that if you wanna lose weighy you have to reduce your carbs. It's kinda difficult as I have noticed because to cut carbs I'd seriously end up eating only half my calories :P

I alos noticed that I go over my sugar, but it says that i go over my sugar from eating fruit. I could eat some pineapple and I've gone -30 g of sugar for my daily intake. Sugar's bad right?

I'm just confused and wondering if I will be jeapordising my weight loss if I eat fruit, have more carbs than protein in my diet. Or is it really just don't to calories in vs calories out?

Thnks guys xxx

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not bad for healthy, non sedentary individuals. It will not affect fat loss in a calorie deficit.

Calories is calculated by a formula... 4 calories per g of carbs and protein, and 9 cals per g of fat.

You can change around your macro goals if you choose to. It's widely accepted that MFP estimates your protein needs low, and you could easily increase your protein intake and decrease your carb intake.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Carbs is good. They has energy. Haha.
    But look at where your carbs come from. Starches and such will make me bloat. Carbs from veggies and fruits are good though. Just reduce bread. It's what has all the bad sugary carbs. Carbs from fiber = good. Carbs from sugar = bad.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    bump!!! question the same thing!!!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad, but you should still lose weight in a calorie deficit.

Looks like all your carbs are coming from fruit and things like rice. If you are concerned about carbs cut out potatos, posta, and rice and substitute with vegetables like cucumber, cauliflower, string beans, brocolli and you will cut your carbs drastically.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No matter how low my calories are, no matter what I eat, my carbs are always high.
    That's because you're always eating high carb foods. Have a sirloin steak with spinach and green beans, see how that looks on the pie chart.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you feel full and are losing weight on the number of calories you are eating, then don't worry too much about what those calories are from. Most people including me are starving and get horrible sugar crashes on high carb diets, tend to eat more or binge eat, have low energy for working out, mood swings etc... Protein and fat are necessary to maintain lean body mass, keep your blood sugar and energy constant, your brain functioning, and to feel full. I try to keep my carbs to 20% and fat and protein to 40% each and that has kept me full, happy, and losing weight for the 20 or so days I've been on.