QUESTION ABOUT KIDNEY BEANS

Options
I have a question about cooking kidney beans and portion sizes. On the bag it says a half cup is one portion and I understand that part. My question is: When you take a half cup and soak the beans overnight and they expand it makes a hell of alot more than just a half cup of beans. Is the portion indicated on the bag for a half cup of the COOKED beans or the DRY ones once cooked which turns into more than a half cup? Sorry if I've confused anyone I just really need to figure this out!

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If the bag is unclear, use the MFP database.

1 cup of kidney beans, boiled, no salt: 225 cal
    1 cup of kidney beans, dry (depends on brand) between 280 and 720 cal
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Usually the measurement is for dry as that is how it comes in the bag. (Usually) Same with rice, oatmeal, etc.

I guess you could see if the brand has a company website with nutritional information.
  • megangrohl
    Options
    Usually the measurement is for dry as that is how it comes in the bag. (Usually) Same with rice, oatmeal, etc.

I guess you could see if the brand has a company website with nutritional information.

I have checked and nope no info. The bag says 350 calories for a half cup. So I measured a half cup dry bens and soaked them overnight. This expanded quite a bit so the half cup has now turned into approximately 1 cups. So would a half cup out of the 1 cup of expanded beans still be the 350 calories? Or would I eat the whole 1 cup as this is still technically a half cup. So confusing.
  • megangrohl
    Options
    B u m p
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The expansion is just water...I would say that the number of cals it lists on the bag are in dry beans.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think if the bag says 350 cals for half a cup, that would be dry. So if you soak and they expand to 1+ cup, you eat them all, you've eaten 350 cals.
  • LuckySar
    LuckySar Posts: 12
    Options
    the expansion is just water - what you've measured (the dry beans) is the serving size and the accurate amount of calories.
  • megangrohl
    Options
    Ok thank you. So if I don't eat the full cup and only half then I've only eaten 1/4 cup? Correct?