Need some ideas for veggies

Options
I have some cucumber, carrots, broccoli, and bell pepper (red, yellow and green). I am tired of eating them with hidden valley dip.

I need some ideas of ways to cook them or other dips to use before they go bad on me.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Oh, I also have fresh spinach, and red onion.

Replies

• LionessPat
    Options
    Hi Tina you can rub a little olive oil on them and sprinkle some dry herbs and a dash of himalayam salt (if you have it) on them and preheat you oven at 400 and then pop the veggies in the oven on a cookie tray for about 10 mins and you will have some awesome roasted veggies. Here is a tip you can line the tray with some foil first to make it easier to clean. I hope that helped.
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    If you have a bbq grill....grill them...olive oil,salt and pepper....so good..so easy....this would be for the bell peppers only from your list....I also grill zuchini, eggplant and onions.
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    How about wrapped in parchment? Grab a a large sheet of parchment paper and spray both sides with cooking spray and fold it in half and then unfold it and lay it on a cookie sheet. Slice, cube or however you like to prepare the vegetables and then place them on one side of the prepared parchment paper and season. I love to use lemon pepper. You could use onion or garlic powder, seasoned salt, even a sprinkle of sriracha sauce. If you have a piece of fish, lay it on top of the pile and season it. Spray the prepared vegetables with a little olive oil or butter flavored cooking spray.

Now fold the parchement paper (easy to do because you already have a fold) Now twist all the end all the way around so it seals. It is sort of a folding and then folding over the previous fold.. sort of like a little braid all the way around.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. It cooks by steaming the food inside the parchment paper. You can use any types of vegetables/fish.

Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    Make a big pot of veggie soup.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    1. Use the cucumbers as "bread" for mini sandwiches. Really good with some tuna or egg salad. Use Greek yogurt to replace some or all of any mayo in the salad.

2. Steam the broccoli, peppers and carrots and serve as a side with a lean protein. Or mix with rice or pasta for a primavera.

3. Dice the broccoli, peppers and carrots. spread on a plate and microwave for 2-3 minutes to release some of the water. Fold into an omelet or use as a topping for a tortilla pizza. Mix into cream cheese and use as a spread. Pureee and add to spaghetti sauce
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chicken Adobo

1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
    3 Tbsp brown sugar
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    4 50g chicken thighs, cut into pieces
    2 cups spinach
    4 carrots
    4 celery stalks

1. In a large pot, combine the water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, peppercorns, and garlic. Mix together, add chicken pieces and simmer over low heat (uncovered) until chicken is cooked through and tender (25 to 35 minutes).
    2. Remove chicken from pot and brown in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add carrots and celery.
    3. Return chicken, with oil/juices and spinach, back to pot with reserved sauce. Cover and simmer over medium heat until desired amount of sauce is yielded.

141 Cal 20 Carbs 2 Fat 12 Protein
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Add the carrots and spinach to a fruit smoothie to make it a Green Smoothie. I drink one every morning.

Frozen fruit
    Banana
    Spinach
    4 baby carrots (if I have some)
    Water
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I would cook up some chicken and brown rice and throw them in with that

OR

sautee them with a little olive oile, garlic, and lemon

OR

Roast them in the oven
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    i roast mine in the oven with a little olive oil spray and pepper. or throw it all on the grill...or make salsa! or throw some together with a balsamic vinegar dressing. search for healthy veggie recipes
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash

Very versatile - I've made a simple red sauce and poured it right over it. =)
  • rntrish78
    rntrish78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am thinking first thing you might want to do is eliminate the Hidden Valley Dressing. Too many calories. I use nonfat yogurt mixed with Dijon mustard and horseradish. It is really zippy tasting and has low calories.
  • jubeemine
    Options
    Grill chicken, then slice peppers and onion in a skillet and put in a bowl with sliced chicken. Add salsa or avocado for a super yummy fajita bowl.
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    dip:
    mayo and greek yogurt mixed together, with a bit or parsley
    mayo and yogurt with curry
    mayo and cream cheese with dill
    hummus regular, roasted red pepper, caramelized onion, jalapenos
    laughing cow cheese

cucumber sandwiches
    roasted broccoli with cheese bake
    stuffed peppers (cut the tops off, mix the other vegetables with rice and meat) bake for 40 minutes.

spinach with peppers and a fruit with poppy seed dressing and nuts.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers and turnips make great crackers! I make my own hummus without oil and use that as dip.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just a thought......some of the issues that we have around food and nutrition is around processed food both denaturing the nutrients contained within the food themselves. In addition the processing of foods often add fats, carbohydrates, salt and sugars radically changing the nutritional balance of the food.

When we cook and prepare food we process it, at home. The foodstuff that you mentioned are all really excellent raw. You might like to try getting used to the different texture and flavours of raw veggies. Eating raw is a different and rewarding experience.

It can take a while to get used to eating food without covering it with other flavourings or cooking it, but, as an example, if calories are an issue, compare eating raw broccoli with broccoli covered in any dressing, cheese, mayo etc.
  • Sadiemae2008
    Options
    :happy: You didn't mention these, but I love cutting zucchini into thick slices and then grilling them...yum! For an extra zip, sprinkle with some kind of seasoning. They do better if you brush them with oil to keep from sticking, but that ups the calories. :happy:
  • Sadiemae2008
    Options
    ooh, and portabello mushrooms are VERY tasty on the grill! Marinate in something like fat free italian dressing for a few hours first.
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    Slice the cucumbers really thin and let them sit in a strainer for a couple hours to drain off excess liquid.
    Mix with greek yogurt and some dill. Eat as a side salad or pair with lean protein on a sandwich or pita.

Steamed broccoli with unjury's protein cheese sauce or lowfat cheddar is a favorite of mine.

Saute broccoli, carrots, red pepper, and onion with garlic, ginger and a little soy. Works well with any type of meat. If you want it a little more like teriyaki, add a little honey or agave at the end. If you like it spicy add red pepper flakes.

I'd put any of those vegetables into a tomato based pasta sauce.

Use a pita or a wheat wrap to make a chicken and veggie pizza

My favorite veggie dip
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 cup Light or fat free Miracle whip (or light mayo)
    2 TBSP worchestershire
    1 Tbsp horseradish
    1 Cup Chili Sauce.
  • AngelicSmile
    Options
    Wow! Chiken adobo is big in philippines and your version is sounds o yummy Im going to try this one.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would cook up some chicken and brown rice and throw them in with that

OR

sautee them with a little olive oile, garlic, and lemon

OR

Roast them in the oven

Brown rice and grilled chicken with a tonne of veg. Probably one of my favourite meals.