Anyone else work from home?

Options
Theoretically it should be easier to find time to exercise since I work from home, but I really am busy ALL day. How do you all get a good workout in regularly?

Thanks! Looking forward to this challenge!

Replies

• mrramsey
    mrramsey Posts: 49
    Options
    I work from home :) I find the time to grab workouts pretty easy but I guess it depends on how flexible you can be.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    During the summer it has been hard with the kids around, but I have been getting up at about 5:30am to go riding before everyone gets up. Once school starts and I am alone in the house, I'll start going at lunch.

The key is to make sure you can walk away from the work for a lunch break just like you would if you were in an office. That and be able to shut the computer off at quitting time. I have no problems doing that, but I know folks who do.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have a flexible schedule, and work at home several days each week. I've found that it helps to block off an hour for "lunch" on my Outlook calendar, so no one schedules meetings for me during that time, and when I get the reminder that "lunch" is coming, I go put on my shoes, HRM, etc, then head out the door when it's "meeting time", heh.

It's the only way I can get a workout in and not feel like I'm somehow slacking and not actually getting work done.
  • hoskibn
    hoskibn Posts: 86
    Options
    I struggled with this last year when I worked from home...think the biggest struggle was walking away from the desk, which led to eating at the desk and not moving, which contributed to weight gain etc.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I work out of my home, but like you I am really busy. I get my workouts in after my 10 hr. workday is done. Sometimes I do supper & dishes first and sometimes the workout comes first. I just hate getting it in just before bedtime.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    :smile: I work at home and so does my walking buddy. We will go when we can fit it in, which means 5:30am or pm. We are both doing a half marathon in September so are training right now. My best advice is find someone with similar hours and start walking/working out with them, it makes it easier to keep it up. Plus when I get lazy, she usually pulls me out!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Early morning "power walks" before it gets too warm out, I have a glider and Just Dance on the wii when I need to take a break - good luck!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I work part time from home, with negotiations in the process to work from home full time... I rigged my 'office' to have the desk up higher with an exercise bike underneath it... since I'm on the phone pretty much the whole time, I have to go pretty slow on the bike... but still... it's better than just sitting there... I also try to go to the gym for an hr each day too... but then again I have a lot of time flexibility with this job as well.
  • aprilOh9
    aprilOh9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I work from home, but our schedules during the day are not at all flexible. However, we consider the time we used to spend on commutes the "freebie" time. He used to drive 1/2 hour each way to work and I drove 15 mins., so that's a half hour to hour that we now have to work out. What was your commute like before you started working at home? Try taking a walk or doing an exercise video the minute you are done with work, and call it your "commute time."
  • gweekstx1
    gweekstx1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Working out early works best for me. I take a Boxing Cross-Fitness class every morning at 6. I am done before I have to start the days work.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work from home three days a week. I usually work out the same time as I do when I go in the office: first thing in the morning. Sometimes I work out during my lunch break.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I occasionally get my act together I cycle to work. Yes, I work from home a lot, but if I were to commute I would get up a couple of hours earlier to get the train to the office. So, when working from home I try to get up at commute time and go for a bike ride...that ends up at home, at work :)
  • shortnerdy
    shortnerdy Posts: 131
    Options
    I do! And I try to do active things on my break, clean, walk laps around the appt if I can't get outside. I get my walks/jogs in in the morning usually.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I work from home, m-f, but I have set hours..... so on mon/thurs I work 11 or 12 - 8 - so I get up and go to the gym in the morning before work. I get up at like 6 so I have plenty of time. (this is the time I naturally wake up so I'm not getting up extra early or anything)..... tues/wed/fri I usually work out after work as I work 730-230 or 330 *unless it's a rest day then I don't work out* but usually it's after work - but sometimes I do get up and get in a run or bike ride before work too. :)

I also find ways to get in extra exercise during work. I work on the main level of our house, and I often go upstairs to use the bathroom..... vaccuum on breaks.... cook stuff.... wash dishes.... do laundry (upstairs)... just depends on how busy the day is.
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes - I work from home full time but find it easier to workout. I block out that hour on my calendar and workout. Since I work at home I can eat in between calls or whatever. You just have to put yourself as a priority first :) Hope this helps.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love working from home. I have the ability to take the dog for a walk, or hang out on the treadmill while working (conference calls).

You just have to make sure you set aside time to step away from the desk.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree with the above posters.

I would love to work from home on a regular basis. I do "get" to work from home time to time and absolutely love the freedom of it. I have learned that the better I train my boss and clients of how and when to get ahold of me, the higher my productivity and more personal time I have. It's those times that allow me to get to the pool for laps and also maybe a bike ride or run versus my in office/cubicle days. You may enjoy reading the "4 Hour Work Week" as it gives plenty of examples for time management and training your boss and clients. Best of luck to you!
  • mea0427
    mea0427 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have set hours and once I'm done with work I have no motivation. I moved to a new city so I need to get out if I'm going to meet people and get back to my work out. I take my dog out during lunch and before work, but I need to be around people. What should I do for extra motivation!