To have a mole removed or not to have a mole removed?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had several removed off my back, and believe me I would rather have a slight scar than those moles....
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed because it was odd shaped and huge. I was concerned it was cancerous. (it wasn't, yay)

My removal did not leave a scar, but it left the skin looking exactly like it still had a mole, just a super flat one (skin flat, no raise at all)
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had two removed, both turned out to be non cancerous, but mine scarred bad. Thankfully I was young(9) and the scars have faded slightly and seem to blend in with my stretch marks(on my hip).

It depends on your skin, the depth they take out and how well you take care of it afterwards.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    cover it with a bandage
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I want to see this mole! I have a hard enough time getting them out of my yard, and the fact you were able to get it to climb your leg is incredible.

Oh, wait a minute.

Never mind...
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Be aware when a mole is removed they take 3 times the area of the mole to remove it. You will have a rather large incision site. However, the scars usually fade nearly unnoticed after wards. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

When I had a mole removed the incision site was only maybe a couple of centimeters outside of the actual area of the mole. But my scar did NOT fade, due to the stitches falling out too early and no one helping me with my butterfly bandages :(
  • scorl
    scorl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to read all the responses so sorry if this is repetitive! I had one removed off my back in June. It was pretty large but didn't go so deep to need stitches. It's healed fine. I had another one on my chest that a plastic surgeon had to remove because of where it was - the scar is not bad at all.. not even noticeable. See what you're dermo says.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I had one on my chin removed, with proper care and polysporin and maderna cream , no mark left, just a bit lighter than the rest of my skin, not noticable at all, glad I did it :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had a large mole removed from the front of my neck when I was 14. I have never regretted having it removed; I'll take a life-long scar any day over a mole! My incision line is only about 1/2" long and barely noticeable. It's 31 years later, but I can't remember having ever thought a moment about it. Mine was surgically cut out, it was not burned off.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you are self consc. about it... I would get it removed..Especially since its sooo large..

I have had a 1/2 inches mole removed from my face. I am sooo glad I did... The molekinda grew back but its about 96% better now then. The color is lighter... As I said this was on my face...

I would do it again in a heart beat!

Good luck with your decision.
  • shatteredsmile
    Options
    It's ironic that you post this, I just had a mole removed this morning! It was on my scalp though, when I was little I had a mole removed on my knee, and it left a raised circular bump about a quarter inch wide. The scar will probably be a little bigger than the mole itself.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    scars are awesome. i don't know why people worry about them!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    have you thought about using some leg makeup or dermablend to attenuate it?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I've had two removed-one on my breast and one on my back. Neither has a noticeable scar. Yet I have huge scars on my knees from a bike crash and not a soul in all my life has asked about those that I recall.

I recommend having it removed, if only for precautionary medical reasons.

HTH
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had one removed from the back of my neck a few years ago. The only reason I had it done was due to it's position...necklaces, shirt collars and tags were constantly irritating it and I just got fed up.
    It was the size of a pencil eraser and it was removed with a heated coil.
    The Dr. told me it would probably feel like a cigarette burn and there was a chance of the mole regrowing, but I didn't feel a thing and about 5-6 years on, no regrowth and barely a scar.
    Thankfully, pretty much all my moles are small like that, so if need be, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Remove it. THe scar will not be nearly as noticeable as the mole.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have chronic hives and so often have visible welts. I am very self-conscious of them at times, but most of the time I just answer people's questions politely and move on. Yeah, they are ugly and unsightly, but I can't control them and I'm not going to let them control me. I'm going to swim with my kids and appear in public.
  • upsrich
    upsrich Posts: 2
    Options
    My wife had one on her face removed (cancerous) by a dermatologist. He used a cream and it left a scar that isn't noticeable. As long as it isn't cancerous why not try some of the natural methods that are available. I have used some to remove small moles, they don't work quickly (2 to 3 weeks) but they do work. I found info at www.moleremovalreviews.com