Runners what warm up and cool down exercises do you do?

Options
I've been running now for about 3 months properly. Really enjoying it now but every morning I wake up and feel so many aches and pains and so still. Mainly in my neck, legs, ankles and knees. Even if I have a couple off weeks off.

I'm pretty good with my warm ups but they could probably be improved. Warm downs are generally pretty poor but it's probably because I don't know how to cool down.

I should add I have had a two week break and still fel crappy in a morning.

Replies

• Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I typically walk for 5 minutes before and then 5 minutes after. I then stretch everything, I have learned that stretching will help with all the sore muscles.
  • kmodrak
    kmodrak Posts: 13
    Options
    My warm-up basically consists of walking, then walking faster, then jogging and gradually getting up to speed. Takes about 10 minutes and covers a mile.

For cool down, I just walk till my HR has returned to normal, then 5-10 minutes of good stretching of all the leg muscles.
  • spotdog14
    Options
    Honestly I don't do much of a warm up, I just dive right in. For a cool down ill walk between a quarter to half mile then do 10 minutes of strength training before I hit the showers. I also only stretch as needed if I am feeling tight, otherwise I don't.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't warm-up all that much, especially if it's a longer run. Usually I just shake my legs out and start running. When I'm done I walk for a couple minutes and then stretch my legs and back and that's about it.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    The only thing I stretch prior to running is my IT band, because that's been problematic in the past.

After I try to cool down by walking and then stretch hamstrings, calves, IT band again. Should probably stop neglecting my quads now that I think about it.