Medication and Weight Gain?

Options
Are there any other people out there struggling with fighting against the weight gain side effects of medication? I'm on a drug that has caused me to gain 20lbs in the past four months. I am beyond frustrated and no matter how much of a caloric deficit I create, I can't seem to shed the pounds.
I am talking to my doctor about switching medications, so hopefully that will help. I'm mainly just looking for support. I am so discouraged.

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I started testosterone about 3 months ago, and gained 7lbs the two weeks. My Doctor confirmed that it was all muscle mass. Then the rationalizations began, and I justified that it must be the reason that I gained 20lbs since. Now I am on a quest to lose it all, and then some. I'm not saying any of this pertains to you. It is just my experience. There may be a matter of your body adjusting to a new "normal", or a pharmalogical induced mother of all plateau's. I would think after four months either a) you should begin to progress again, or b) you should consult your Doc. I think 20lbs., and no weight loss after really trying is not normal. As you adjust your medication, and try to get your body in balance (which will eventually happen), remember to keep a longer view, to avoid being discouraged. Don't think next week, but next year. Keep fighting, and you will win.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, I have been on so many medications trying to control my fibro pain. I also tried the birth control patch and i gained back a bunch of weight in what seemed like over night. I really hope you can find an alternative medication without the side effects. hang in there!
  • javannis
    Options
    Same here, I am on so many meds, I lost count which ones make me gain weigh and which ones make me want to go to sleep and not want to exercise! Arrrrghhhh :-(

It's going to be a long and bumpy road, but we can do it !!!!