What do you eat when you're sick?

Options
Well, this is convinient! I started my new journey yesterday but I also started something else: a cold/flu. I was hoping it was just allergies but after many nose blowing sessions and cough attacks I have officially entered into the world that I struggle with the most: What to eat when I'm sick.

Food choices: I jump from one extreme to the next when I'm sick. I either eat next to nothing, salty broths, crackers, things that soothe my tummy or I go all out and eat the junkiest of junk foods that I can get my hands on. Under normal/non-sick circumstances, I have no problem eating my fruits and veggies and all of that fla fla... But when I'm sick, I want comfort... and let's be honest! I rarely ever find comfort in eating an apple the same way I find comfort in eating Kraft Dinner (or Mac 'N Cheese).

I realize that I should be boosting my immune system with good foods/clean eating (especially when I'm sick), but I have yet to find satisfaction in that. Good news though! I'm open to ideas!

So I'm looking for encouragement and/or suggestions for foods and drinks that give your sick little self some comfort when you're feeling icky!

Replies

• Dateura
    Dateura Posts: 1
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. The first day of being sick I used to eat next to nothing and then I'd gorge on pizza and candy as soon as I had an appetite, comfort foods! Of course like you said we should be filling out body with clean healthy foods when we're sick but it's not always that easy!

A couple of weeks ago I had a sinus infection and an ear infection and I ate mostly good stuff for the first time ever and it really made a ton of difference. Try to eat lots of fruit and lots and lots of hot soup and tea. Hot soup really does make you feel a lot better, and the benefits of a cup of hot soup lasts a lot longer than a bowl of mac n cheese :P! Inhale the steam while you're eating and see just how much better you feel after and during! I love those little microwavable soups in cups when I'm sick, they're convenient so you can pop one in the microwave and go back to rest while sipping. Go for the low sodium ones if you can find them. The last thing you want while you're feeling bad is an upset tummy. Don't eat anything too difficult to digest, let your body work on fighting the sick instead of fighting what you eat. Lots and lots of hot tea is lovely too. Don't let your cold get in the way of your motivation! Just take it easy and help your body fight it off so you can be back to yourself faster. :)

Get plenty of fluids and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Mhairih30
    Mhairih30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm a bit rubbish aswell, normally I don't eat much and when I do it will probably be some toast....what about chicken noodle soup? Its not the greatest but better than a McDonalds I suppose! :D

Hope your feeling better soon.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I've come down with a cold or flu, I'll usually make a big batch of jambalaya/Creole dirty rice. I use as many homemade ingredients as possible (like homemade chicken broth, sausage, etc. that I always have in the freezer). The nice thing about my jambalaya is that it's quite nutritious: I add way more veggies than most recipes call for, it keeps my palate entertained so I won't crave junk food, and has a great carb/protein ratio to help my body fight off the sickness. Oh, and it'll keep in the fridge for up to a week, and reheats in the microwave fabulously.

If I'm battling a flareup of my Crohn's disease, however, it's sometimes hard to have self-control. During the flareups, my intestines are so inflamed that they don't absorb protein properly, so I constantly crave beef and cheese. However, those two foods are THE hardest things to digest, so I have to make an effort to choose dishes that include things like eggs and fish. Although fish and rice aren't instantly as satisfying as, say, a cheeseburger, I feel loads better afterwards since my body can actually break down the ingredients far more easily.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I keep to the BRAT diet on the first day of Sicky Pants Mode.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I usually eat lots of toast when I'm sick!
  • myrvin
    myrvin Posts: 9
    Options
    what is the BRAT diet?
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Nothing. Since I stopped eating when I felt sick I have not had a cold/flu for more then two days in about 8 years. My son was 7 and I promised to take him to the beach and got a nasty cold, my throat was so sore it hurt to eat so I didn't and it was gone in less then two days. So I kept trying to not feed the cold and just drink juice or water and it has worked for years on everything I got. I must add this is my body and not yours so I can't say it will work for you but we all try what worked for someone else all the time so far be it for me to not tell you what did works for me too HAHA . LOL
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot tolerate greasy food when I am sick. I will instantly throw up.

I usually live off vegetable stock (stock powder + boiled water in a mug), tea and lots of marie biscuits, which I dunk in the stock and tea if my throat hurts too much.
    This is what my mum always gave me when I was sick and now I always make it as well.
    If I can bare it, I'll have a homemade fruit smoothie as well.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If I've come down with a cold or flu, I'll usually make a big batch of jambalaya/Creole dirty rice. I use as many homemade ingredients as possible (like homemade chicken broth, sausage, etc. that I always have in the freezer). The nice thing about my jambalaya is that it's quite nutritious: I add way more veggies than most recipes call for, it keeps my palate entertained so I won't crave junk food, and has a great carb/protein ratio to help my body fight off the sickness. Oh, and it'll keep in the fridge for up to a week, and reheats in the microwave fabulously.

If I'm battling a flareup of my Crohn's disease, however, it's sometimes hard to have self-control. During the flareups, my intestines are so inflamed that they don't absorb protein properly, so I constantly crave beef and cheese. However, those two foods are THE hardest things to digest, so I have to make an effort to choose dishes that include things like eggs and fish. Although fish and rice aren't instantly as satisfying as, say, a cheeseburger, I feel loads better afterwards since my body can actually break down the ingredients far more easily.

Any chance of getting that recipe? :flowerforyou: Sounds lovely!

I go for chicken noodle or hot and sour soup, and I always want rice. I also grew up believing that you don't feed a fever, so if I'm burning up and don't want to eat, I don't.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    what is the BRAT diet?

Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
  • ArtemisXXII
    Options
    Wonton Soup. It has been my favorite thing to eat when sick for as long as I can remember. I usually get a quart and it lasts me a couple days. Yes it is salt heavy because it's chicken and beef broth mixed together. But you're get starch and protein and some vegetable love through the scallion. And possibly some extra pork thrown in depending on what they have extra in their kitchen. Honestly I just love me some Chinese food when sick and lots of sugary juice.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Soup, yoghurt, Muller rice pots.
    Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    food that i would regularly eat. I know that sounds dumb
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The woes of illness!

I usually find myself going for toast/bread or crackers. Carb Danger Zone!

Also I make myself a cold blast "tea" -- ginger, garlic, lemon, cayenne pepper, and drink as much of that as I can.

But if I'm having stomach woes, I usually go for Dreyer's Mint Chip ice cream (the one that is white, not green). It's my comfort food.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if its upper (nose, chest, head) my homemade chicken soup. nothing from a can, not even broth. which sounds really good right about now....

if its my stomach...i crave fresh HOT mcdonalds french fries very lightly salted. and i rarely eat fast food. maybe once every 2-3 months. and then its usually a grilled chicken without the bread or a salad. kids know im sick when i get fries :)
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm sick, I have trouble eating anything. Broth, juice, and sprite are the only thing I really want. I agree with the salt thing though. I think I crave salty when I'm sick. Crackers and soup usually do it for me. I wonder what it is about salt?
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    nice hot bowl of Pho with lots of siracha and hoisin sauce...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have strep throat right now and I am eating home made ice cream, greek yogurt and bone broth.

Warmish (hot) and cold stuff is so soothing to the throat.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have strep throat right now and I am eating home made ice cream, greek yogurt and bone broth.

Warmish (hot) and cold stuff is so soothing to the throat.

If you have a sore throat, you are better off avoiding dairy.
    Dairy leaves a sort of slime in your throat and mouth (just check your tongue after having had dairy), making it even harder to swallow and the bacteria will be lingering there longer.
    My doctor told me this when I had really bad bronchitis and my dentist confirmed it, when I had to have a tooth removed.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    eat soup, i know its alot of sodium but drink lots of water and potassium rich foods to counteract the sodium. it usually takes me the entire day to eat a can when im sick.