Chia Seed

Has anyone used Chia Seed?

Everything I read claim it to be a Super Food. Very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. Rich in antioxidants. Provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc. When added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, Chia forms a gel. Which researchers suggest the reaction takes place in the stomach, slows the process by which digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar. Release natural, unrefined carbohydrate energy slowly into the bloodstream.

With all that said, have you every used Chia seeds? If so what was your experience?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I used them on a chia pet once
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    After discovering chia seeds, i started putting 1 table spoon in my hot oatmeal or greek yogurt for breakfast. They dont change the taste that much and its good fiber. I read they had more omega 3 than salmon so thats why i started eating them!! The good thing is that you dont have to ground them (like flaxseed) to get all their minerals and benefits. You can eat them raw!
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    I don't notice a difference when I do use them, but they're good for you so why not? I put them into my homemade pancakes, oatmeal, protein shakes, yogurt, cookies.. Whatever I am making that I remember to put them in. They don't change the flavor of it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I've been eating a tablespoon every morning for about a month (straight up eating them, they taste fine). I started this because I heard they helped with bloat, and frankly, I don't seem to bloat as much in the middle of the day anymore.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    I use on them on almost everything . i put them in my natural juices that I make, throw them in stuff I cook and put them on salads. A little goes a long way too.
  • I used to eat chia seeds when I was a kid.
  • Love them in everything. I find they add a creaminess , "jelly-ness" and of course a pleasant crunch :)
    They defiantly thicken up foods so even though they are 60-70 cals for a tablespoon I find them to be worth it because they add volume and keep you full. All that fiber is awesome too!

I buy them in bulk for around $8 a lb (organic) so they are a good deal compared to some other "super foods."

I would defiantly rather eat something tasty to get my Omega 3's than to add flax seed oil for twice the calories...

In my mind, Flax is out- Chia seeds are in :)

Can't wait to experiment more with the Jelly quality of them as I've read they can replace eggs and other such things in recipes. like, how about some chia seeds, pureed fruit and water for a lower sugar jam....

PS be sure to drink extra water when you eat them!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    I had some for breakfast. Mixed two tablespoons of chia seed with about 100ml of almond milk and left it in the fridge overnight to gel up. Voila! Chia pudding for breakfast.
    Although somehow the fridge door wasn't shut properly last night, so it was still quite liquid this morning. Tasty, though!
  • I put them in my oatmeal and and when I have yogurt. I like that they have so many great properties, and the extra little crunch that they add to the yogurt. I don't eat them all the time, but I enjoy them when I do.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    I throw them in my smoothie every morning. I use the Trader Joe's brand.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    I have some either in water or in my coffee every morning and it keeps me full until lunch time