Low impact strength training routine?

Options
Could anyone recommend a low impact (ie no jumping) st routine? I don't belong to a gym or have any equipment though I probably will buy some free weights. Rather not get a dvd and just print something out and do it while watching the tv for a bit. I am female and 200+ lbs but have been doing mod-vigorous cardio 30-60 min 5+/wk so my endurance level is ok I think. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    'you are your own gym'
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    BUMP.. would like some ideas as well
  • druannesh
    Options
    You can even skip the free weights...bottled water is a pretty good hand size. You can also adjust the weight by altering the amount of water in each bottle.
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    If you have a yard buy a load of gravel and a wheelbarrow. Scoop gravel into the wheelbarrow, push it in circles and then dump it. Move the pile from one area to another. Do this for two hours a day. Better workout than pretty much anything else.
  • paradigmsubversion
    paradigmsubversion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you could do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day shred, or any other similar strength training video, and just modify the cardio intervals no not include jumping. For example, instead of jumping jacks, you could do a step-touch move instead, where you step to the side and cross your arms, or something similar. Also, for any of the plank maneuvers, you can keep it low impact by just moving one leg at a time for motion, without jumping.
  • ckilby21
    ckilby21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kettle Bell workouts are great, no jumping involved and you can start with the lighter wieghts and work up from there. You can also go to YouTube and get free workouts as well. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking for strength training, I would get a resistance band while you are picking up free weights. There are so many exercises you can do with those. I have found that I enjoy kettlebell workouts much more than free weights, but those are a little more pricey. (although you can find good deals on cheaper brands) Kettlebells incorporate weights along with getting some cardio benefits.

That being said, you really are your own gym. :-) Pushups, situps, squats, crunches, lunges, punching the air are all old school but still very effective. Good luck!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    get a set of free weights, go to youtube and learn some basic reps of different movements, then write down a "routine" for when you are watching tv. Every couple weeks go back and learn a few new things, or switch it up at least so your body doesn't get used to it.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Look online for low impact exercise -- there are lots of sites. Consider elastic bands for resistance work. Low chance of injury and not very expensive.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great exercise, if you have a pool near by. If not try walking every day, parking your car further from the door, take the longest route to where you need to go in a store, browse Target (my favorite pastime). I sit on a stability ball at work and when I take a break I do a few crunches or just bounce around to music. During commercials on TV I get up and jog in place or do some stretching. If you do buy some free weights I like to do squats with bicep curls or overhead extensions. Check out a few of the Self/Women's Health/Fitness magazine websites and do those exercises you feel comfortable doing. You can also modify those that do have jumping.

If you have comcast on demand you can go to the Sports and Fitness section and there are tons of videos they post for free.
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to clarify I was hoping to maybe get a link to a site that will give me a training schedule or something with dif exercises on dif days.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    The Power 90 Sculpt 1-2 routine is great (though the video is repetitive/that guy drives me crazy).

I actually started to write a routine sheet from that DVD for myself so I could do it while watching a movie or TV instead. I'll let you know when I finish it then I can email/PM/post a link if you want.

Plus, you can always add, remove or change different things if they don't work for you.