always hungry, can't reach my calorie intake

Options

Replies

• Catiec76
    Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein is a good thing. If you are going to go over on any of them that's the one to go over. And protein keeps you fuller longer.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly ok to go over your protein number! :smile: I eat around 1600-2000. I'd be hungry at ~1200 also.
  • learningloveandpeace
    Options
    I just made my diary public, you should be able to see it now.

No I do not have an eating disorder. I have always been a big eater, and I am really trying to cut down, on how much I eat, but don't want to go over my other things, like carbs, protein, & fats.

I have my carbs set to 55%, fats 30% protein 15%, should I change those.

I want over my protein today.

You may have always been a big eater, but if you are being so rigid about going over your macro-nutrients and calories...it sounds disordered. If you "can't" even though you are hungry, there's some sort of psychological barrier. Is it fear? If so, get professional help

sincerely,
    a recovered anorexic
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

No I do not have an eating disorder. I have always been a big eater, and I am really trying to cut down, on how much I eat, but don't want to go over my other things, like carbs, protein, & fats.

I would suggest setting your macros at 40carbs/30fats/30proteins - You definitely need more protein...Protein helps you keep and repair the lean muscle that you already have...It also is a great way to stay full longer b/c it takes longer to break down in the body....Up the protein!!

If you are hungry and need more calories then you need to eat more. Try high calorie snacks like Nuts (all different kinds) they are dense in calories and have healthy fats in them...Eggs, meats, greek yogurt, even protein shakes which is what I drink to make sure I get my protein up through the day and gives me extra calories so that I can make sure to get to my calorie goal as well...Also, like I said above protein shakes will help you stay full...You can add many things to them as well like fruits, peanut butter, greek yogurt, anything that you like to eat...Try it - it will definitely help with your calorie intake for the day. Best of luck!:happy:
  • flyspyro
    Options
    No. I know what she is saying because I have the same issue. she is going over her cal intake and still being hungry. I've been trying to do the 1200 and I get so hungry I cant help but eat more. Everyone always says to drink water before you eat and to drink lots of water and you wont be hungry IT'S A LIE. I lost 50lb with working out and doing the 1200 and I was hungry all the time so I stoped and guess what I gained 20lbs . I keep telling myself I can do this, but the truth is its too hard for someone who loves to eat. I'm sry you're having this problem maybe you should ask your self if this is what you really want because I was miserable but then again i"m miserable now that I gained 20lbs. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. do I wanna look good and be hungry and pissed off or be fat and depressed but at least have the food you want. I'm trying to make the choice now before I gain all the weight back
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    Your diary actually looks pretty good. I say keep doing what you're doing but be sure to drink more water. Maybe you are and just aren't recording your water but be sure to do so if you aren't. Also, you are so new to this...give it time and you will find that your hunger will subside as your body gets used to eating less. I had the same problem in the beginning but now I don't really find myself being ravenous unless I really need to eat! Good luck!
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Tonyagooch is correct, I wen't from really really high calories, a day, at least 3,000,. and I don't know how to lower to these levels, I'm afraid I will go over.
  • kilbey1
    kilbey1 Posts: 12
    Options
    To keep yourself full, to keep up your protein and to satisfy yourself between meals -- as well as introduce healthful calories into your diet -- I would REALLY recommend you get some protein / whey powder into your diet, and have at least a scoop a day, if not 3 (for between each meal).

(By the way, it's fine to go over your protein ratio...I usually do a 45% protein ratio instead of the recommended 55%. Protein will keep you satisfied and hunger at bay. You can adjust your chart under the My Home tab > Goals.)

Side note: Not all protein powders are created equal, but I think that's a different discussion. There are many on the market and you can spend a lot of money on the powders. Buy what you can afford. In a nutshell, top protein powders are whey proteins (not whey isolate) from grass-fed cows or goats, but these do tend to be pricey. Look for powders with the least added ingredients and low sugar on the label.

If you are prefer to not do dairy, look for pea protein powder, brown rice protein powder, hemp protein powder, or a blend of these.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options

Are you saying you can't figure out how to get up to your calorie goal without going over on protein? Are you trying to keep all your carbs/fats/proteins right on the goals MFP sets?

If this is what you mean, and it seems like you must be because otherwise everyone else's suggestion to just eat more would be a no-brainer, then don't worry! It's good to go over your MFP protein suggestion. Remember these are just suggestions, if day by day they don't balance out to the exact percentages suggested it really doesn't matter. It just gives you a general idea, not an absolute set in stone limit. Try to keep your protein high, and otherwise eat an adequate amount of fats and carbs and you'll be fine.

Unless you're a bodybuilder it really isn't so important to be that precise about it. Go ahead and have more protein! If you are hungry and need to eat more, don't worry so much about the exact breakdown of carbs/fats/proteins, just pick something fresh and wholesome that will satisfy you whether it's a glass of milk, a piece of fruit, a bit of popcorn or whatever. The guides are just a suggestion. So if at the end of the day you are at double your protein and half your carbs, it's safe to say a carby snack like popcorn is totally OK. If on the other hand you are way low on your protein, you might want to shoot for a more protein based snack like low fat greek yogurt. But really, just don't worry so much. You're doing fine, just aim for healthy whole foods instead of junk to fill out those calories and you're gonna do great.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. Stress will make you gain weight. You are now making healthier food choices so your calories are going to be lower. Add in your healthy snacks to bump those up and curb your hunger. You can manually adjust your macros as well but don't stress over them. This is a fairly easy fix. The hard part is wrapping your head around some of it. Worry about hitting your calories goal first then work the macros after that. Pretty much everything I have read suggests the 40/30/30 calculation. You can do this. Hang in there.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    No. I know what she is saying because I have the same issue. she is going over her cal intake and still being hungry. I've been trying to do the 1200 and I get so hungry I cant help but eat more. Everyone always says to drink water before you eat and to drink lots of water and you wont be hungry IT'S A LIE. I lost 50lb with working out and doing the 1200 and I was hungry all the time so I stoped and guess what I gained 20lbs . I keep telling myself I can do this, but the truth is its too hard for someone who loves to eat. I'm sry you're having this problem maybe you should ask your self if this is what you really want because I was miserable but then again i"m miserable now that I gained 20lbs. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. do I wanna look good and be hungry and pissed off or be fat and depressed but at least have the food you want. I'm trying to make the choice now before I gain all the weight back

I was on 1200 daily and I lost a bunch of weight working out and sticking to that and then just like you I started getting very hungry all the time. The more muscle you build up the more you will need to eat. You have to look at your BMR. Check out the Scooby BMR Calculator.

I actually net 1600 calories now and the weight still comes off and I'm not usually hungry.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    include some snacks in your diet.

The general knowledge is that you need calories to fuel your body but also, at some point, you may need to go lower to reach your goal. If you start out low, you can only go down. Your body also doesn't do well with deprivation and at some point, it will force you to eat, possibly through a binge/intense cravings

I am having a hungry day today. I feel pretty ravenous and my calorie intake is set at 1520. Yesterday, I ate slightly below my caloric goal, today I will most likely go slightly over. The recommended calories aren't a magical number but just a goal for you to hit. Sometimes you may go under, sometimes you may go over and that is ok.

Give yourself a break, breathe and include some snacks that will get you closer to your target. If you go over, it won't be the end of the world.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

No. this is incorrect. she is UNDER.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well done on your first week, your plan looks ok to me. Fantastic start to your journey.

In the longer term you may want to up your calories and add more exercise.

Most of us concern ourselves with our calorie goal I think, too much: too little: wrong mix: too much of x too little of y. Especially to start with.

Etc etc

You can fill up and reduce hunger by eating foods which are nutrient rich but calorie light. Fruits, veggies, light soups. Protein reduces leptin (the hunger hormone) so lean chicken breast, salmon and white fish are great. Add an undressed salad to every meal. Simple carbs will make you hungrier.

Each body is different, but if you are hungry you should eat. As long as you are eating calories (sedentary day) between your BMR shown as 1200 and TDEE shown as 2046 then you will lose weight healthily. It might also be that the first weight that you have lost as you have seen a large loss will be stored carbs and water. There are 6molecules of water to each carb molecule lost so this immediate drop is not really a true guide to your weekly fat loss and as your body settles to its weight loss you will get a better measure.

Myfp tools will allow you adjust what you eat and exercise for maximum fat loss and if you wish it muscle gain. Your body will respond to the regime and like minded friends here will help you achieve your goals.

Congratulations on your progress so far.

Jasmin
  • makenziewhicker
    makenziewhicker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough throughout the day. I suggest changing your meal names to:
    Meal 1
    Meal 2
    Meal 3
    Meal 4
    Meal 5
    or for example I wake up at 6:30 and I have a meal about every 3 to 4 hours so I do
    6:30
    10:00
    1:30
    4:00
    8:30

You definitely need more protein, I would say to get a protein powder or some pasteurized egg whites for additional complete proteins. people are so concerned about eating only breakfast lunch and dinner and having a couple snacks in between. In order to boost your metabolism you should be eating more often throughout the day and more complete meals. I recently bought some Chia seeds which consist of fiber protein and omega-3's it helps me stay full throughout the day so I don't over eat you can mix it with juice or a protein shake put it in your oatmeal or rice, you can't taste it.

Also, I would track your fiber intake. Eat more veggies. Try quinoa, oatmeal and brown rice for carbs. Those are more filling than fruits.

Questions? feel free to email me, and my diary is public as well

Also, please don't be concerned about going over on your protein.. it is so much better to go over your protein than your carbs and fats!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tonyagooch is correct, I wen't from really really high calories, a day, at least 3,000,. and I don't know how to lower to these levels, I'm afraid I will go over.

Try pre-logging your breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then squeeze in a morning snack and afternoon snack. Then you can see where you are before your day even begins. Having a plan takes a lot of the fear out of it. (When I go over a little bit on my calories, I figure how long it will take me to walk it off, then do it.)
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who posted, I appreciate the help.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about going over because of your previous habits, prelog as much as possible. I log my breakfast as I'm eating, then I log my lunch and afternoon snack right behind it. Then I know how much I have left for dinner. Or I prelog my dinner at breakfast if I know what I'm going to eat that day. This keeps me within my calorie limits and I always now what I can have at each meal/snack. Be sure you are getting in fruits, veggies, dairy, protein, and carbs. I try to get a bit of each at each meal. My macros are set to 40/30/30 and 1800 calories. If you started at 3000 or so calories you may not want to go as low as 1420 starting out. Try 2000 and drop from there if you don't lose at that high a goal. It takes a long time to find and get used to what works for your body so experiment. But give each change 2-3-4 weeks. It takes time for it to show up on the scale because of normal fluctuations in your body (fluid). Do what is right for you.
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Eat smaller portions, more often. Plan out what you're going to eat. You get used to it fast. I have, n I had a huuuuge over eating problem. Also, my dietitian says you should start around 1800 calories, because if u start too low, you don't have any room to drop down. So for a month or two I'm doing 1700-1800, then 1600-1700, and so on. Your body gets used to running of of the cals n u will plateau like we all do n won't b able to go down without putting yourself in starvation mode. U have about 100 pounds to lose. Hope this post helped.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    She said she can't even reach 1200, so the problem isn't trying to get the calories down.

Eat more. That's all I can think of... Higher calorie foods, definitely.