Is anyone else like this.

Options
First off let me say I am in no way complaining. I posted prior about my issues with my doc calling me obese.. Here is my story.. I am 5'3 and weigh (as of this morning) 170.1. Why then am I in a size 8. I read others posts and I see that women my height and weight are big. I do work out and stick to calorie counting. Do I really have that much muscle mass that 170.1 pounds on a 5'3 frame has me in a size 8. My coworker thinks im a freak of nature. she even made me go to the gym on our job and get on the scale because she did not believe i weigh what I do. She is 5'3 at 150 and looks 20 pounds heavier than i do.

I have never really looked my weight but this is nuts. At my highest I was 184. At this point I am thinking that 170 is my ideal weight since the scale won't budge. When I tell people that they tell me my ideal is in the 140's.I put on a shirt this morning that I hadn't worn since June and its falling off my shoulders. I know I'm building muscle but I shouldn't look like this at my weight.

Am i nuts for posting this thread. All I keep hearing is muscle does not weigh more than fat. If thats the case why am in a size 8? Muscle has to weigh more than fat... On the last thread I posted I even had a guy tell me that I must be in denial because at my height 170 is obese...

Replies

• _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I get similar reactions when I tell people how much I weigh. Apparently I don't look like I weigh around 180 pounds at 5' 5''. Ever since I was little I was never the thin leggy girl. I was always solid. If you poke me I am hard underneath my chub. I believe you are just a naturally muscular person. I don't know how else to explain it to myself and other people. Have you looked into checking your BF% instead of how much you weigh? It sounds like you may need to measure your progress with calipers and not the scale. Just a thought :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Go based off of your bf% not weight along with how you look naked in the mirror.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    What is your body fat percentage?
  • angelinnaonadiet
    Options
    I used to be like that and I know plenty of people like that.

Don't focus so much on a number on the scale more so then how you feel and look. in your case, I would focus more on bf%.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should post pictures of yourself if you are looking for advice on if you are good at your current size. We can't offer much help with your current photo.

I would say that 170 is too high for your height. Although, if you feel content with how you look and you are being real about it, then stay where you are. Truly, our opinion doesn't mean squat if you are happy how you are now.
  • cccerberus
    cccerberus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    muscle is more dense than fat, which means it tends to weight more per volume.

i have a solid muscular frame under the fat, so i look lighter than I am.

ultimately, the number is just a tool to measure progress, not an absolute target.

my plan is to hit 200 then start the workout routine to build muscle mass in the upper body and core while holding at 200
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's all in how the weight is distributed. Reading your height, weight, and size 8, my first thought is you're big busted. As someone said, pictures would help. I think 170 at 5'3" is heavy, but I don't know how you're built.

Oh, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm prime example of this.

Roughly four years ago I weighed the exact same as I do now.. 150 pounds. Back then I was a size 8/10(with the 8's being too tight and the 10's fitting perfectly). Fast forward 4 years, lost 30 pounds, did a mix of cardio/strength training, and I'm in a size 4.. which I haven't seen since high school!

Difference between then and now is, how much fat I had. Back then I had a lot of fat on my body.. now I barely have any.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't mean anything at all. I wouldn't care if I weighed 300lbs if I were ripped. Find out your body fat and go from there.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone. I'm not sure my body fat. Im hoping its not too high since I do cardio as well as weights. How do I check that.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Everyone carries their weight differently. I am currently 224 pounds, yet I constantly have people tell me that I don't need to lose any more weight. When I tell them what I weigh, they are surprised that I am over 200. Granted I am 5'11" so height definitely helps me out. That being said, I know that I am still overweight(obese technically by bmi standards) and am still working to get to where I want to be.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    You can look up measuring body fat on the web, but taking the actual measurements is best done by someone with training and experience.