Sushi recipes??

Options
jekeclouatre
jekeclouatre Posts: 5 Member
I love sushi, but would love any recepies without rice, I have never made sushi before but would love to learn how. I hear its really easy.

Replies

• guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for rolls to make without rice? I'd like to hear that too because I'm not sure if that's possible.

otherwise sushi without the rice is just sashimi - just the fish.
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out this link - http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/12/rice-free-sushi_27.html

There are also several types of rice substitute like cauliflower 'rice', konjac rice and quinoa. I think the hard part would be making any of those glutinous and sticky.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think you want sashimi
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Is rice really that bad?
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Is rice really that bad?

No
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    I saw an episode of Chopped the other night where one of the chef's claimed to make the first sushi using Cous Cous. Sounds interesting.

jo
  • jekeclouatre
    jekeclouatre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links, no rice is not bad, i had VSG which is a Weightloss surgery and I am trying to stay away from carbs and to keep my carbs low.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I wonder what you could do with quinoa ... I make my own and have often tried substitutes ... brown rice is "ok" ... but quinoa sushi would be pretty interesting ... the problem is the lack of starch to make it "sticky" so it doesn't fall all over the place ... anyone try with quinoa?
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Nope.

Though the foodie in me would find it interesting to look for alternatives ... I'll always make it with medium white rice as it's awesome, but as an alternative I think this thread may be interesting to see ideas.
    Is rice really that bad?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Can you use shirataki rice?
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Ha, I guess so ... I answered my own question :)

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/fusionfare/r/Vegetarian-Quinoa-Sushi-With-Sweet-Potatoes-And-Caramelized-Onions.htm

Not sure about the fillings, but conceptually it's obviously been done with quinoa ... may try tonight
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    My friend makes maki sushi with quinoa. You have to add something to make it stick better. She uses pureed avocado, it was delicious.

I often make my sushi with a combination of "sushi rice" and sprouted brown rice. It works very nicely. (I know its still rice, but its a lot healthier, not sure if you have allergies or anything.)
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Technically, the word "sushi" refers to the rice. So you can't have sushi without rice. You can foods that look like a typical sushi roll though (for example a cucumber roll instead of a California roll).
    You can also have sashimi (mentioned earlier), which is just raw fish.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can try making Temaki zushi and just leave out the rice. I don't have an recipes on hand, but if you look it up you can find some. You might be able to use abura age (fried tofu bags) in place of rice, but I don't know what you could fill it with other than sumeshi (sushi rice).