scale questions

Options
hey guys!

so i just got a scale to weigh unpackaged things. my first time using one! first of all, i just weighed an apple and i realized i have been underestimating my intake by like 40 calories which is super depressing...

anyway, when you weigh fruit, do you weigh it whole? like bananas, do you weigh with the peel or without? and peaches, with the core or without?

Replies

• wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine without the peel, or pit...basically part of the fruit or veg that isn't edible, I don't include in the weight. I find that when I'm looking for calorie info on MFP, it helps to look for the "raw, edible portion" when the food comes up after a search. Also, I always weigh everything raw, because chances are if I'm breaking down the fruit or veggie, it's still raw. Because 250g of uncooked summer squash is different than 250g of cooked summer squash. I just always weigh it raw, so I don't have to worry about accounting for water weight or reduction during cooking. Good luck! Keep weighing :) YOu'll get the hang of it!
  • gettingto98
    Options
    thank you! ok so if i'm weighing like a sweet potato, should i weigh it cooked or uncooked?
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    thank you! ok so if i'm weighing like a sweet potato, should i weigh it cooked or uncooked?

you can do either just make sure you look up raw or cooked to input correctly