Toning Toning Toning!!!..DESPERATE FOR A WORKABLE WORKOUT SC

Options
Hi Everyone!!
I believe my body responds well to exercise ( when I stay faithful to it)..
Our garage is now a small home gym, and you'd think it would be easy to just go in there when my hubby's in there..( He's so faithful, 4 times aweek)..but, we have different goals..he's burning fat, losing weight, weight lifting, etc..I want a great toning workout with required cardio/week.
Weight loss is not my goal...
I know that schedules are molded for certain people and their bodies, I'm just looking for a standard workout schedule that has helped tone women, that maybe I can alter to work for me....
Thanks =)

Replies

• Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    Do you have a TV in your workout area, or a laptop to watch DVDs on? Then you could try some of the home workout DVD systems like Jillian Micheals 30 day shred, Barry's Boot Camp or p90x if you haven't already. Seems to be doing good things for the people around here!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    DVDs are great, and complete programs do fantastic for people like me who don't want to have to wonder "what should I be doing today ?" since they come with a schedule.

I did Turbo Jam for about 10 months and got great abs with it. Now I'm doing Brazil Butt Lift and can already feel the legs getting stronger. Both programs are form Beach Body.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    By toning I assume you mean to give your muscles some definition without actually putting on a lot of muscle mass, and maybe reduce a few of those last little hard to beat fat deposits.

Well, In my personal experience, regular cardio just doesn't cut it for that. My suggestion is to look into some HIIT training, something that pushes you past your aerobic threshold. Regular cardio just doesn't really do much for muscles, it will maintain, but it doesn't really grow them much, and even though you aren't looking to increase mass, what you are looking to do is still a form of growing your muscles. Also, don't neglect the weight training, it really does help, even for definition.
  • rajekred
    Options
    Turbo Jam! It is a DVD system that does cardio plus toning, and I think its a lot of fun. I just started it last Sunday and did it everyday except Saturday (one day rest). My goal is to lose weight, but tone as I do it and I can already see the difference. I've lost 3 lbs this week, plus an inch on my hips, 1/2 inch on my waist and 1/2 inch on my legs. When I make a muscle in the mirror, I can actually see a little bump too. LOL...And when you do a 1/2 hour work out, it sure doesn't seem like it. The time flies. Its a bit expensive, but you get several disks to workout with, starting with training and moving up as you advance your work out. To me it was worth it, since its doing so much for me already!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I got good toning results from Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, with no weight loss.
  • 2betoned
    Options
    Hi Sham14,
    My husband actually started day 1 of P90x this past weekend ( I was away drilling with the Navy reserves). He started it because he felt that his workout had plateaued and he wanted to push past his mark. I do have a laptop that I never thought about taking down to the garage with me..I've tried Gilad, but trying to pause the tape, etc., is tiring because he goes so fast..I could probably advance to his videos once I get going. .....Jillian Michael's 30 day shred!!? I'll try that!! Thank you!!! =)
  • 2betoned
    Options
    Banksinator,
    Thank you and thank you everyone. I definitely do not neglect the weights. I don;t mind gaining muscle mass, because I know that if I'm woring out right, that boiund to happen..=)..I just don't want to start losing a bunch of weight and start looking insane ( in my eyes..no offense anyone)..I'm going to check out your site. Thanks again ..HIIT?
  • 2betoned
    Options
    DVDs are great, and complete programs do fantastic for people like me who don't want to have to wonder "what should I be doing today ?" since they come with a schedule.

I did Turbo Jam for about 10 months and got great abs with it. Now I'm doing Brazil Butt Lift and can already feel the legs getting stronger. Both programs are form Beach Body.

This is excatly what I needed also!!! With the videos I just have to go with the flow..Having a schedule put before me, to say Mon-Sun, on days, off days etc....will help out...My hubby has tried to make me schedules but they seem more fitted for him...(but I love my pookie bear..hehe..=)
  • ldmama71730
    Options
    I recently bought "Dancing with the Stars" workout video at Wal-Mart for $10. It is a workout video using latin ballroom dance moves plus there is a section of toning exercises. I think it is fun and so far it is working great!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Banksinator,
    Thank you and thank you everyone. I definitely do not neglect the weights. I don;t mind gaining muscle mass, because I know that if I'm woring out right, that boiund to happen..=)..I just don't want to start losing a bunch of weight and start looking insane ( in my eyes..no offense anyone)..I'm going to check out your site. Thanks again ..HIIT?

High intensity interval training, it's a hybrid of weight training and cardio in that, you do cardio routines mostly but you do them in short, very high intensity bursts so that you cross the aerobic threshold. It's GREAT for functional improvements like for athletes, it's a good cardio workout, and it also vastly increases EPOC (which is Exercise Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption). EPOC basically raises your metabolism for hours after the exercise is finished (similar to weight training but for somewhat different reasons).
    The reason why I say it has components of weight training is because both HIIT and straight weight training bring you beyond the aerobic threshold (google aerobic threshold for more info), and that's a good thing for increasing all sorts of muscle function without really worrying about increasing muscle mass even if you are in a caloric surplus.

the main reason HIIT is different from straight cardio is because once you finish cardio, within a short time your metabolism comes back to the resting rate, where as HIIT will remain in a raised state for hours and hours after (all the while burning extra calories).

The Problem with HIIT is (like weight training) it's very difficult to measure your exercise calories with it.
  • 2betoned
    Options
    Banksinator,

High intensity interval training, it's a hybrid of weight training and cardio in that, you do cardio routines mostly but you do them in short, very high intensity bursts so that you cross the aerobic threshold. It's GREAT for functional improvements like for athletes, it's a good cardio workout, and it also vastly increases EPOC (which is Exercise Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption). EPOC basically raises your metabolism for hours after the exercise is finished (similar to weight training but for somewhat different reasons).
    The reason why I say it has components of weight training is because both HIIT and straight weight training bring you beyond the aerobic threshold (google aerobic threshold for more info), and that's a good thing for increasing all sorts of muscle function without really worrying about increasing muscle mass even if you are in a caloric surplus.

the main reason HIIT is different from straight cardio is because once you finish cardio, within a short time your metabolism comes back to the resting rate, where as HIIT will remain in a raised state for hours and hours after (all the while burning extra calories).

The Problem with HIIT is (like weight training) it's very difficult to measure your exercise calories with it.

Wow! Lots of great info!! I love that HIIT is different because normally after I workout I want to eat the first thing in sight. I've learned to put a small bag of fruit in the fridge or grab a banana right after I'm done. I do know for a fact that I do not eat enough calories in a day, especially if I workout and burn calories, I need to absorb what I burned to mainatin my calorie intake....or I will def gain muscle mass..I'm cool with that though because my arms look kinda chicken-y..lol...Im going to get it together!! Thank you!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Wow! Lots of great info!! I love that HIIT is different because normally after I workout I want to eat the first thing in sight. I've learned to put a small bag of fruit in the fridge or grab a banana right after I'm done. I do know for a fact that I do not eat enough calories in a day, especially if I workout and burn calories, I need to absorb what I burned to mainatin my calorie intake....or I will def gain muscle mass..I'm cool with that though because my arms look kinda chicken-y..lol...Im going to get it together!! Thank you!!!

take a peek at my blog if you want some HIIT routines, they can be a little brutal though, just warning you, I posted 3 or 4 of them (look through all the old links)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SHBoss1673