Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred

Options
I'm wondering how you input Jillian Michael's 30 day shred in your exercise diary. I have no idea how many calories I'm burning from it but it's such an intense workout, I feel like it probably burns more than if you just put the time in for cardio or weights.

Suggestions and ideas are welcomed!

Replies

• cheskax
    cheskax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I log mine in as circuit training-- good luck!
  • geminitwin1979
    Options
    Circuit training ! but i log a bit less as thin MFP over estimates the burn sometimes :-) i need a HRM sooon !!

*think
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Circuit training, same here!
  • tnt4me
    tnt4me Posts: 1
    Options
    On Jillian's website she gives you 500 cals burned for any of her workouts (except yoga, of course)! Hope this helps!:smile:
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM.. Usually between 250 to 280 calories. But it will be different for different sized people haha
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was told to put it under circuit training.

According to MFP, 30 mins of circuit training burns about 163 calories. Doesn't seem to equate to the intense workout though of JM 30 Day Shred.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and entered my own exercise labeled 30DS. Normally burns between 200 - 230 cals depending on the level
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I input it as circuit training. I weigh 145lbs and I burn about 168 calories per session. This all depends on your weight, height and all that jazz. It is going to be different for everyone. A HRM is the best way to judge.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM.. Usually between 250 to 280 calories. But it will be different for different sized people haha

My HRM was about the same for her workouts.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for 30 Day Shred...and I generally burn about 250 calories in 27 minutes.
  • attcute
    attcute Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    get a hrm...polar ft4 is great!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM as well. 260 calories for level 3.
  • Vitamin_K
    Options
    I use an HRM & usually only burn around 200 cals. I agree it is an intense workout and you would think you would burn more, but strength training does not get your heart rate up like cardio does, so therefore your calorie burn is less, but the benefits from strength training are fantastic. It depends on the size of the person, how heavy the weights you are using & if you are doing the moderated version or the "right way" version. I would suggest you just get an HRM, but circuit training is probably as close to accurate as you are going to get by using MFP settings. Good Luck & add some additional cardio/ strength training in to up your calorie burn!!
  • Rach_Gem_n_Disguise
    Rach_Gem_n_Disguise Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is definitely circuit training but I'd suggest buying a HRM because MFP tends to over-estimate calories burned or under-estimate for some depending on your age. HRM's are the way to go. For example, doing Insanity I'm 31 and for one exercise per my exercise I can burn 450 and my husband who is 46 will burn like over 600 calories. Crazy!!! MFP doesn't come close to "guessing" these calories burned for the duration spent for the exercises. If you're in this for the long haul, you can get a good HRM for like $65 online and even get free shipping....I'd suggest one with a chest strap. I bought my husband a wrist watch with no chest strap first and it was so awful. (This is assuming you don't have one of course :wink: )
  • determined_01
    Options
    On Jillian's website she gives you 500 cals burned for any of her workouts (except yoga, of course)! Hope this helps!:smile:
    where on her website does it say that? I've been searching and find nothing...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM - I get 180-190 per session
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    242 calories burned is what mine showed when I did it. Also-- before/after pics in my profile if you wish to see results.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just got a fitbit so hopefully that will help. But circuit training makes complete sense. :smile:
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just got a fitbit so hopefully that will help. But circuit training makes complete sense. :smile:

I find the fitbit suggests fewer calories burned, as it doesn't always sense movement when you are on the weight lifting portion.

I generally burn 150-200, depending on the day.

Not sure where the one person got 500 but that is definitely WAY too much.