My very first NSV

Options
I've really only been motivated and serious about my weight loss for the past week or so. However, on lunch I go for a walk which is usually 2 laps around the buildings I work in/are around me. Today I decided to be adventurous and go walk in a cemetery that is nearby (forgot to mention I work in an old insane asylum/state hopsital, however you want to put it). I started my walk of and was just enjoying it when a little voice in my head said, "run to that orange post!" Now yes, maybe if I was alive when the state hospital was open they would have committed me but regardless, I just started running. I got to the post and was more out of breath than I have been in a long, long time (mainly because I haven't worked my body in a long, long time). I felt so invigorated! So I took another lap around just the opposite way and knew that orange post was at the top of the hill...there goes that voice again, so i ran up the hill to the orange post again. I've read a couple things about runners looking good on some blogs but I know that is not true! I have gray work slacks on, a sleevess dress shirt and tennis shoes, plus 280 something pounds running. It makes me laugh just thinking about how ridiculous I looked. So, one more lap to go, again the opposite way (I'm weird about walking the same way twice in a row unless it's on a track) and that orange post is now at the top of the hill. That voice comes back out, "Come on Karissa, this one is down hill and it's the last time, just do it again" Of course I did it and I felt the biggest smile I have had in a long time come across my face and inside of me. Okay, so these distances I was choosing were not far at all, probably between 50-100 meters. And my running pace was something that Usain Bolt, nor the majority of people would be proud of but I was so proud that I actually did it! Now I realize I probably could have done this a week ago before seriously starting on here but I didn't. There was always tomorrow. Oh I'll have this McDonald's today because I'm starting my diet tomorrow. Or just one more Mountain Dew since I'm starting my diet tomorrow. Last week I finally made tomorrow today and I couldn't be any happier with myself.

Sorry I wrote a book! I hope everyone is having an amazing day!

Karissa

Replies

• fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweetie! You made me smile just as big as you did along with you while reading that NSV. I KNOW that was a major accomplishment! Keep it up 'cause it only gets easier!!!!

Congratulations!
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful to be excited about all the wins of your journey!
  • andrewjloosbrock
    Options
    Love that line:

Finally made tomorrow today.

I'm stealing that.
  • vravelline
    Options
    Great job.....I'm proud of you :)
  • futurestarz
    Options
    This is awesome! I bet you will be running in competitions this time next year.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was smiling along with you, dear.....awesome! Keep movin....you will make it!
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, this is AWESOME!

I'm really glad I got to read this, I think everyone one MFP would thoroughly enjoy and benefit from this inspiring tidbit.

Thanks man! You rock keep it up
  • kbmiller27
    kbmiller27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That is so cool! Congratulations on making your tomorrow today. This journey is truly done one day at a time

That is exactly how I felt about 2 weeks in to the Couch to 5k program, (maybe you should look into it a.k.a: C25k)

I had this moment of "OMG I am RUNNING! and I feel so GOOD about myself" that your story reminded me of, so I know how it feels! I was slow too but was proud of myself and proud of the sense of accomplishment I was experiencing at that moment.
  • myasmom
    myasmom Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support! I appreciate it!
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    Fun read. Considering the location you may want to check the source of the "voices" :smile: ....nevertheless congrats on your first NSV. Keep it up because many more NSVs lie ahead.
  • BEE353
    BEE353 Posts: 2
    Options
    That is awesome. I would like to say congratulations. Glad that you focused on yourself and your accomplishment!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Great read, you write well.
    May all your tomorrows be todays.
  • myasmom
    Options
    You guys have me all teary eyed over here :laugh: :happy:
  • cass0107
    cass0107 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's great - good for you! I'm glad you listened to the voices. :) I usually push them out - so I'll remember that next time! I also did the, well, let's have this since I'll start my diet tomorrow. Here's to not doing that anymore!
  • Gretabug33
    Options
    Very proud of you!. :-) And good for you for posting!
  • veggielyndsey
    Options
    I smiled while reading this because I felt the same way the first time I started jogging and made it all the way around the track. I was so happy to accomplish that. Other people were running around and around but for me it was such a big deal. Now I have to get out there and walk/jog everyday or I get antsy. Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to hearing more about your successes!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Way to push yourself! Nice! :drinker:
  • myasmom
    Options
    This is why I love this site so much, without all of you I would have had a moment but it wouldn't have nearly as special without the encouragement from each of you! I appreciate it more than you will know!!!

Karissa
  • Leezer24
    Leezer24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good job girl u are doing really good n it's going to pay off soon. I'm really proud if u!:)
  • Mich3ll36
    Options
    Girl!!! Thats awesome!!! You totally made me smile. Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!