Pre and post-workout meals ideas.

Options
I'm totally confused what would be best to eat before and after my workouts. I don't burn a lot (yet) but I decided to join a gym and would want to make the best out of it. My plan is to exercise in the morning as I work mostly afternoons and evenings, so after a workout now matter how much I burn - I need to be able to keep up at work!
What would you suggest to eat before and after - not only in terms of nutrients but meals too (as I have no ideas for those recently).
thanks in advance!

Replies

• Derinq
    Derinq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Anyone any suggestions, ideas, comments? Pretty please :)
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Before: food
    After: food
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    i like it
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What kind of things are you doing at the gym? This will drastically change what you would want to have.
  • Derinq
    Options
    Captains_Spatc - wow, you are a genious ;)

jdholland5508 - mostly cardio (treadmill, eliptical, bike) workout, with some weights for my arms and abs. I'm just starting out but simply don't want to eat 'wrong kinds' of food - after reading some threads here I got the impression that some things are better than other in terms of effectiveness in both the burn and the recovery.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    What kind of things are you doing at the gym? This will drastically change what you would want to have.

very true. when i do swimming i usually want french fries after. when i do weight lifting, i want cheeseburgers.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Captains_Spatc - wow, you are a genious ;)
    i know, i know. they always tell me that.
    that some things are better than other in terms of effectiveness in both the burn and the recovery.

not really. hit your calorie target and macro target by the end of each day, and eat with whatever timing feels right to you. that's all that really matters.
  • mcdacus
    mcdacus Posts: 1
    Options
    Whey protein with 1/2c juice and or water Pre-work out, and something 60%carb/40%protein within one hour after workout.
  • Derinq
    Options
    Thanks, both of you Captain-Spatc and mcdacus for sharing your approach :)
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For cardio I feel like I don't ever need a pre-workout meal unless I am hungry.
  • matthewdylenbrown
    Options
    what i've found most effective is a good breakfast (omelletes, cereal etc.) then once thats settled a couple hours later have fruit (banana, apple) to get my carbs and sugar going. this should give you energy for your exercise without making you full from all the protein. if you have to, have some toast and jelly. the jelly will give you carbs/sugar for the boost of energy and the bread won't stuff you either. After the workout make yourself a shake. I use:

half cup 1%milk,
    half cup (or quarter) of non fat greek yogart,
    one scoop of protein powder,
    half of a serving of frozen berries (use blueberry, raspberries, strawberries, doesn't matter)
    and if you want more protein depending on your diet add some peanut butter
    (I use the PB2 powdered peanut butter, it has 0 fat!)

Blend all this up and maybe even put some water or ice cubes if it's too thick for your liking. This shake has lots of protein for your recovery and is well balanced with fat and carbs as well so your body uses it evenly as it should.

*Note that every person is different and every diet will be different, but for me...it works really well. So you may need to lower or raise some amounts depending on your calories needed each day. I'm right around the 2000/day mark. So if you are over add more, if you are under don't use as much.* Hope this was of use to you!!!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I cant eat before working out as I do this early in the morning but post workout after lifting I'll have eggs and wholemeal toast on cardio days I will have a protein shake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There really is no need to do a pre workout or post workout meal unless you are doing something that will completely deplete your glycogen stores.. aka an endurance athlete. As long as your overall calorie intake is good, as well as your protein, you won't really benefit from doing a pre or post workout meal.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This yummy, I used to do this after my workout back in the day.

http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/91352/jamies-post-workout-cinnamon-apple-cottage-cheese
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also workout in the morning before work, and I don't like to have a lot of food in my stomach while exercising. I usually eat a piece of toast with peanut butter before going to the gym, then afterward eat a container of greek yogurt at my desk at work.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat heavy before working out. I'll have a protein shake if I really need food before weightlifting, but perhaps a banana or apple for just a cardio day. Regardless, you don't really need a pre-workout meal if you feel good. Post workout I like to have a balanced meal with carbs, fats, protein, + a veggie.

A good option sans veggie is protein powder mixed with yogurt.
    I do sesame crackers with ham and hummus.
    Turkey sandwich with coconut chips
    Chicken and broccoli
    Chicken and pumpkin/sweet potato
    Eggs + Chicken sausage (I eat this for breakfast)
    I like curry so, curry rice + vegetable stock + meat of choice
    Pineapple salsa and tilapia
    Spinach, coconut oil, sliced steak
  • juliebahr
    juliebahr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work out with a personal trainer once a week- after work. I typically eat a banana and either a protein bar or a protein shake about 10 minutes before I get to the gym. So far that's working really well. If I try to do anything else- I usually can't finish our hour long work out (I've burned 1200 calories in hour working with him. It's killer).

I've tried all of the flavors of the Speical K Shakes and bars (they call them the meal replacement) and Clif bars. I like special K better. Less fat and protein becuase it's made for us (women). We don't need nearly as much protein as men do.

And it probably goes without saying- but lots and lots of water