Natural proteins

Options
I want to increase my protein intake but dont want to resort to unnatural processed protein i.e. shakes or bars. What natural foods do you eat to keep your protein levels up other than the obvious meat and cheese?

Kate

Replies

• TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    ^^^

just as processed as many of the powders you say you're avoiding...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fish. Nuts.

Whey protein is the result of multiple processes, not sure that's an issue in itself but a lot more processed than yoghurt. As for bars, well LOL.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    same problem, i changed my nutrition to require 55% protein and since i did that i am always under and protein and under in carbs. its hard to eat enough protein without going over in calories.
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm always under too Reneefit135.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    same problem, i changed my nutrition to require 55% protein

Why?

Anyway, just because something is processed doesn't automatically make it "bad" and as has already been pointed out at lot the things people recommend instead of whey are processed anyway. All dairy, especially low fat products are heavily processed but this is not really the point.

Protein powder is processed for a reason, for convenience and to remove the fat and carbs.

Lean meat, fish and eggs are your best source of protein. You really don't need much of these to get a decent serving, 100grams of lamb is about 30grams of protein for example, same with chicken.

Yes things like rice and quinoa have protein but it is of poorer quality and you have to eat a lot of it to get a decent serving, which inevitably means a lot of carbs (again there is nothing wrong with that, but it might not fit your macros). Same with nuts, you can get a decent protein serving from them but you have to take a lot of fat along with it.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get totally away from processed. I think I get a good amount of protein. I eat lots of eggs, peanut butter, almond butter (you can easily make your own), nuts, greek yogurt, salmon, ground turkey, chicken...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Chase down a live chicken and catch it.
    Once you get settled down with your live chicken just start chomping into it

Other wise once you cook it or cut it up you've processed it :sad:
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken!
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kennyrd1
    kennyrd1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like mixing 4 oz of cottage cheese with a greek yogurt. Gives you about 25 gms of protein and the yogurt covers up the taste of the cottage cheese if you're not a big fan like me.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    0.1% milk is a great option (any milk is good, but the less fat the lower calories)

chickpeas.

Mushrooms, spinach, broccoli all not really high in protein but they are higher than other veg.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a perfect protein, beans and rice are a perfect protein, lentils are a good source of protein. I like hemp protein powder-it's cold milled so not quite as "processed" as some stuff.

Here is a list of proteins suggested for vegans (since your not looking for meat or cheese suggestions) http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    hemp seeds
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a perfect protein, beans and rice are a perfect protein, lentils are a good source of protein. I like hemp protein powder-it's cold milled so not quite as "processed" as some stuff.

Here is a list of proteins suggested for vegans (since your not looking for meat or cheese suggestions) http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

How much perfect protein are you getting from rice?
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Oh ya! Quinoa and chickpeas are great! :)
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans, beans
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas! Thank you everyone.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I love Cinch protein!
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    same problem, i changed my nutrition to require 55% protein

Why?

Is it a bad idea to have 55% protein? I use to be a vegetarian and found i ate too many carbs and gained weight. I wanted to increase my protein and lower carbs. Also that it would help as i lift heavy and as i age. What do you guys think, should i take the percentage down?