Meal replacement drinks & shakes

Options
What is everyone's opinion about replacing a meal a day with a drink or shake like the stuff sold at GNC? The stuff there is 180 calories a serving.

Replies

• jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass so I try my hardest to do a shake everyday...The best ones that I have found are the EAS whey protein shake mixes at Sams Club...they come in a big foil type bag for aprox $25 per bag...the chocolate and vanilla are both pretty good (as good as a protein shake is going to be..lol) I mix mine with skim milk.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've always heard, "Don't drink your calories". I guess the thought is that actual food will be more filling and satisfying. I think there is a place for protein drinks (after very hard workouts) but for the most part I try to stay away from liquid calories.
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    If you think about it, there are quite a few calories to take in while not filling your stomach. Imagine how many radishes, celery, carrots, etc. you could eat that would actually satisfy your hunger...
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like them. No matter how "filling" they are or nutritionally sound they don't satify me physically or mentally. I still want to EAT something. I only use them as an absolute last resort. Like I've got to hit the road after a workout and just don't have time to eat anything healthy.

I know lots of people who regular use them to replace meals and seem to do fine, so it's just a matter of personal choice.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I don't agree that eating radishes,carrots and celery are "filling". I find that on a busy day, I get more filled, maintain my energy, and stay winin my cals a lot better, with a shake. So I say go with your feelings. Cals in verses Cals Out!!!!!thats what were doing here.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    If you think about it, there are quite a few calories to take in while not filling your stomach. Imagine how many radishes, celery, carrots, etc. you could eat that would actually satisfy your hunger...

A small piece of steak would seal the hunger deal for me, IMO... but uh, that's just me.
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it just depends on the person...for me, it's the easiest way to eat a healthy breakfast..if I don't do a shake I usually end up skipping breakfast and then am so hungry by lunch time I overeat. I also use the atkins advantage shakes. They just stay in the fridge and having 3 small kids, sometimes it's my healthiest option on the go :)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

A small piece of steak would seal the hunger deal for me, IMO... but uh, that's just me.

I'm never able to eat a small piece of steak... I end up eating the whole thing, 700+ calories. LOL
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have a shake every morning for breakfast. It's low cal and fills me up until noon for lunch. I use BSN Syntha 6 in Chocolate Milkshake. It's soooooooooooo good! I look forward to it. I get my chocolate fix!:drinker:
  • ers1012
    Options
    It's the way I start out my day. Two scoops of EAS 100% chocolate whey protein, some extra amino acids, maybe some egg whites from a carton. If things get a little boring, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter or instant espresso go in. I keep a container of protein in my desk drawer at work for those mid-afternoon hungries. Nothing like 20-25 grams of good quality protein to bridge the gap from lunch to dinner especially if there is a candy machine or two downstairs to tempt you.

Protein powder...know it, love it, use it.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it just depends on the person...for me, it's the easiest way to eat a healthy breakfast..if I don't do a shake I usually end up skipping breakfast and then am so hungry by lunch time I overeat. I also use the atkins advantage shakes. They just stay in the fridge and having 3 small kids, sometimes it's my healthiest option on the go :)

I also drink a shake for breakfast. I grab it on my way out the door and drink it while I drive my kids to school and daycare. I never have liked to eat breakfast, I use to fight wih my mom about that in middle school, lol. Just not that into eating until 10 ish. But I find that if I drink a shake at 7am then have a yogurt snack at 10 am my tummy is happy . Also helps with getting something to eat out and about when the only choice is fast food.
    I do know that it isn't that "clean" of a meal, with it being processed and no real food inside but better than not having anything IMO.